Pressure is on Russell Wilson

hawknation2015

Reaction score
mrt144":1xxsql46 said:
Anthony!":1xxsql46 said:
hawknation2015":1xxsql46 said:
brimsalabim":1xxsql46 said:
Um can you post the all 22 of that film? Cause I can't see the receivers. It's difficult to judge when we don't know what Russell was looking at. All I see here is Wilson being quickly flushed from the pocket, buying some time while looking down field, but eventually taking the sack.

JMO, I think Russell could have shown a little more patience and awareness on this play. He had a clean pocket, and Miller and Tate were each on the verge of getting open.

perhaps but it is debatable at best.

To wit, OMG THIS PLAY WAS 2 YEARS AGO, WHOOOOOOOOOO CARES. This is borderline cherry picking. Should we go play by play and pick apart each one to find where improvements could be made?

No, but he did ask for the All-22 of the play above. Otherwise, I would not have cared to post it. Every single player in the league has made multiple mistakes far worse than this one.

I would also say that Russell is probably the most elusive QB in the league, helping the offensive line with his mobility inside and outside the pocket far more than he hurts them.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2015":23c7aqio said:
No, but he did ask for the All-22 of the play above. Otherwise, I would not have cared to post it. Every single player in the league has made multiple mistakes far worse than this one.

I would also say that Russell is probably the most elusive QB in the league, helping the offensive line with his mobility inside and outside the pocket far more than he hurts them.

I know, I'm not begrudging the all-22, that's actually really awesome. Of the amount of snaps Wilson is the primary player, how many of them could have been done a lot better by Wilson? If we were to take out completions, scrambles over 5 yards and designed read options, how many times is he really doing the kind of stuff?

Further, relative to the rest of the league how often is he doing that?

This is where some of my "why are we even talking about this?" comes from because DVOA goes on to answer this question to some extent. On any given play how well is our QB able to execute? and DVOA says Wilson is an above average passer and an otherworldly rusher.

I guess the question is whether, as a fan, you can live with that approximation of his skill set and whether or not he can improve. The next questions is, is it possible to improve upon that with front office action and how likely that is to transpire?

It should go without saying that any fan wants his team's QB to play like Zeus. And I'm sure there is some fan somewhere busting Zeus chops for not being better.

I know I'm being kind of an asshat about this.

Anthony!

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1g4yllo3 said:
Anthony!":1g4yllo3 said:
hawknation2015":1g4yllo3 said:
Anthony!":1g4yllo3 said:

I don't know how debatable it is . . . there was no cause to break the pocket on this particular play. Breaking the pocket can stress defenses -- when there is cause to do so -- but ultimately fails not only the play design but also the open receivers, i.e. Miller and Tate. In other words, breaking the pocket when it is unnecessary to do so leads to randomness rather than reliable, consistent success. This is definitely something Russell continues to improve on. He is not yet a finished product. By the end of this season, he will have developed into a much better QB than he was two seasons ago.

problem is when he breaks no one is open. and given how spread out the oline man is there is not much of a pocket. Did it occur to you he broke the pocket because no one is open and he was thinking him breaking might help? I mean I agree there has been times he left the pocket what appeared to be early, however I do not believe this is a good example. Of course when you are the most hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league 3 straight years, while at the same time having the most wins, and one of the highest QB ratings every in your first 3 years you should get some room. Well at least anyone with any common sense would.

Miller couldn't be more open. What are you looking at? The pocket is huge, and if he steps up into it instead of backtracking back and left he can hit Miller for +25 instead of taking a -5.

Yeah no he is not, not when he is breaking he is not open. as to the rest, lets say you are right, which I do not think, but say you are right so, for every one of these there are 5 were he make something out of nothing.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawks46":3fs8cpvq said:

I don't know how debatable it is . . . there was no cause to break the pocket on this particular play. Breaking the pocket can stress defenses -- when there is cause to do so -- but ultimately fails not only the play design but also the open receivers, i.e. Miller and Tate. In other words, breaking the pocket when it is unnecessary to do so leads to randomness rather than reliable, consistent success. This is definitely something Russell continues to improve on. He is not yet a finished product. By the end of this season, he will have developed into a much better QB than he was two seasons ago.[/quote]

problem is when he breaks no one is open. and given how spread out the oline man is there is not much of a pocket. Did it occur to you he broke the pocket because no one is open and he was thinking him breaking might help? I mean I agree there has been times he left the pocket what appeared to be early, however I do not believe this is a good example. Of course when you are the most hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league 3 straight years, while at the same time having the most wins, and one of the highest QB ratings every in your first 3 years you should get some room. Well at least anyone with any common sense would.[/quote]

Miller couldn't be more open. What are you looking at? The pocket is huge, and if he steps up into it instead of backtracking back and left he can hit Miller for +25 instead of taking a -5.[/quote]

Obviously he was gazing with adoration at Wilson and not watching the receivers.

Without being a smartass, you are totally right...Miller is open and continues to be open as he breaks towards the sidelines. Wilson could've taken 2 steps up into the pocket, and LED the receiver (I know, shocker) and thrown the ball towards the sidelines where only Miller could've gotten to it. It's a very safe pass, and it shows some of Wilson's hesitation that is inexplicable at times. There was room to throw, no real pressure, and the play is breaking towards the side he was fading to. He could've thrown this ball from several different places and still completed the pass.

Not ripping on Wilson, but it's a good example of what he needs to work on. The good thing is that Wilson has probably seen this and is currently working on it. I theorize that he looked bad in the preseason because he's concentrating on staying in the pocket and hitting intermediate throws in the middle that he's been historically uncomfortable or hesitant to make.[/quote]

actually it is debatable, look at it the pocket was all over the place, it was near impossible to keep track of all the defenders to his left to his right , behind him etc,. Sure he could have stayed and been blind sided and maybe knocked out or fumbles. When he started movi9ng there were 2 guys being pushed back into him so he went left, he could not go up because there was someone there as well. You want exampled of him leaving a good pocket early there are some but this is not one of the better ones at all. As to him working on stuff every player in the league needs to work on things, however it is the way we hear about it all the time for but only Wilson. I never hear about the thing Lynch needs to work on, or Sherman or Et etc. Only Wilson.

Anthony!

Reaction score
mrt144":13myhnvc said:
Anthony!":13myhnvc said:
hawknation2015":13myhnvc said:
brimsalabim":13myhnvc said:
Um can you post the all 22 of that film? Cause I can't see the receivers. It's difficult to judge when we don't know what Russell was looking at. All I see here is Wilson being quickly flushed from the pocket, buying some time while looking down field, but eventually taking the sack.

JMO, I think Russell could have shown a little more patience and awareness on this play. He had a clean pocket, and Miller and Tate were each on the verge of getting open.

To wit, OMG THIS PLAY WAS 2 YEARS AGO, WHOOOOOOOOOO CARES. This is borderline cherry picking. Should we go play by play and pick apart each one to find where improvements could be made?

Of course it is all they can do, they have to find something to complain about with regards to Wilson, and cherry picking using QBR and QB rating number interchangeably, Using preseason as examples, ignoring good games etc. Its what they do.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":dgrnx2h8 said:
mrt144":dgrnx2h8 said:
Anthony!":dgrnx2h8 said:
hawknation2015":dgrnx2h8 said:

I agree but for some only the hurt matters, they do not care about the help.