KJ Thanksgiving podcast is grim

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I just checked the Rams schedule. They have a much easier schedule ahead than the Seahawks do. Their toughest opponents remaining are Ravens and 49ers. They will move ahead of the Seahawks in a couple of weeks, if things stay status quo.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I read on .com our offense is trying to find consistency. I think the problem is they've already found it. The element of surprise has always been a big factor in success. We aren't surprising anyone.
Oh, they found “consistency” alright.

They are “consistently awful.”

keasley45

Reaction score
This false. Russ is a close friend of Brian’s and they still remain close. Gotta quit believing the media about everything.

From where is there evidence of that?

Not contending it, just asking. Because reading between the tea leaves in an article the tribune carried about the topic, Russ was on record saying Pete Carroll made the decision to let Brian go, but then went on to talk about how the offense needed to get better, and that he was looking forward to basically full autonomy with the next OC.

So Russ denies it was his idea. Kinda like Russ also denied he knew Seattle was trading him... that it was John and Pete 's decision and he was surprised by the call when it came...

I mean... cmon.

But in the bigger picture, I think Pete is relying too much on the magic of the process to make things work. In ADB's interview with KJ a fee months ago, he pretty flatly pushed back on the notion that Pete single handedly created the LOB culture of accountability. Some here took Doug's stance as bravado and arrogance, but I believe he's correct. Pete laid the groundwork for success. And that success was predicated MORE on individual and collective accountability and the desire to be great on the part of the players than anything else, including superior talent, which many here keep harping on being necessary to make pc's system work.

I think when you look at the results of this season to date and the disappointment it has been, by and large, the most consistent failure is execution. How many failed TDs have there been or failed 3rd down conversions because of a slightly off throw or a route run incorrectly? How many missed assignments have there been on defense, how many mental lapses that have allowed the opposing team to keep the ball? That's not a talent issue. It's performance, accuracy.
This team is lacking an ingredient that the LOB era had, but it's not talent. It's accountability and performing to your maximum level every Sunday. Pete is doing what Pete did in 2013. He just doesn't have the generals in place to complete the circle of accountability in the coaching staff and he's missing the pieces that carry the ADB / KJ level of competitiveness needed to push the system over the top. THAT, AND coordinators like Waldron, in addition to not being the personality needed, is also not on top of his own craft enough that he can compensate for less than optimal execution. Hurtt, for as much criticism as he's faced would be doing much better if not for the woes of his counterpart on the other side of the ball.

So if KJ sounds gloomy, I think he's right. Because this team, without the whip and glue that accountability brings, whether from the top down or horizontally between players, will begin to slip into the abyss that the 2021 team fell into. Pete isn't the grinder type of personality, the drill Sargeant that, say Dick Vermiel was known to be. Players rise above their ability in this system, but are also apt to fall well below it with the grounding force that strong leadership brings. Pete needs that around him and on the field.

We will see if they can find it in 2023.

Last edited: