Preliminary Expectations For The 2016 Hawks

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":6wpz9hio said:
In terms of season starts, it seems like the NFL always bones Seattle in their early games and then stacks all their easiest opponents in the second half of the year. Not sure why it keeps happening.

It's pretty uncanny.

kearly

Reaction score
Aros":74k6eu61 said:
Seahawks beat the Patriots in a fantastic rematch in SB51.

It's starting to look like the NFL is going to win their appeal against Tom Brady. If so, it could make the AFC East a lot more interesting.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":24wipra5 said:
kearly":24wipra5 said:
In terms of season starts, it seems like the NFL always bones Seattle in their early games and then stacks all their easiest opponents in the second half of the year. Not sure why it keeps happening.

It's pretty uncanny.
And annoying.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not sold the line was any better during the Wilsons explosion. Wondering if it had more to do with the level of defensive fronts they were facing. IF the line improves I think Wilson and the offense is the best in the league and the defense playing more like they did in the second half. They will be in position to won another SB if injuries don't get in the way.

sutz

Reaction score
Some things the same....I expect another slow start to the year, and then coming around at mid season and finishing with 11-12 wins and a div champ this year, possible 1st round bye, but at least one home playoff game, regardless. It depends a lot on how the schedule pans out. Last year was one of the toughest schedules we've ever faced IMHO, when you consider who we played, where and when.

Superbowl very possible, almost likely.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why? Why are we almost unanimously predicting a slow start?

Why?

I can't fathom for the life of me why this team, these coaches, this organization begins the season like they are the Jaguars or Browns. How is this even remotely in the realm of possibility?? Given the level of coaching and talent we have?

If I had an answer I would be one rich beeotch.

sutz

Reaction score
Aros":1dqo4y2v said:

Why?

I can't fathom for the life of me why this team, these coaches, this organization begins the season like they are the Jaguars or Browns. How is this even remotely in the realm of possibility?? Given the level of coaching and talent we have?

Well, perhaps because it's happened just about every year under Pete? ;)

We had a thread about slow starts last season. I have come to the conclusion that it's almost intentional. :laugh:

It is part and parcel of the "it doesn't matter how you start, it matters how you finish" philosophy. In 2015, the schedule was extremely unfriendly, so the start was even slower and tougher than usual, and too many of the early games had ramifications on the playoffs that burned us come January. I'm hoping the sched is a little friendlier this year.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Aros":13ghxp1e said:

Why?

Frustrating is the operative word! Sure hope that we do not have two Road games right out of the shoot!

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":31bwu9fh said:

Why?

One word, consistency, O line new starters, Secondary new mix, have them be together a couple seasons I think you see a faster start.

kf3339

Reaction score
sutz":2rq31w7u said:
Aros":2rq31w7u said:

Why?

We had a thread about slow starts last season. I have come to the conclusion that it's almost intentional. :laugh:

It is part and parcel of the "it doesn't matter how you start, it matters how you finish" philosophy. In 2015, the schedule was extremely unfriendly, so the start was even slower and tougher than usual, and too many of the early games had ramifications on the playoffs that burned us come January. I'm hoping the sched is a little friendlier this year.

Or perhaps PC could start realizing that there is not a damn thing wrong with starting strong and finishing even stronger. Personally, I hate that philosophy you put in quotes. Not you, but the belief that you can always make up for in affect lost time. All it does is put you in a hole that takes much greater effort to climb out.

Just for once I would like to see us start fast under PC and force teams to catch up to us, if they can. Just once.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kf3339":2zobmj9p said:
sutz":2zobmj9p said:
Aros":2zobmj9p said:

Why?

Or perhaps PC could start realizing that there is not a damn thing wrong with starting strong and finishing even stronger. Personally, I hate that philosophy you put in quotes. Not you, but the belief that you can always make up for in affect lost time. All it does is put you in a hole that takes much greater effort to climb out.

Just for once I would like to see us start fast under PC and force teams to catch up to us, if they can. Just once.

I dunno, I see that mentality as one of never giving up; 'do it better for longer,' and NOT one of 'the first half doesn't matter' Think of how silly the latter sounds. Why would any of us believe something so nonsensical?

Winning in the Q4 as well as getting stronger in the second half of the season sort of dove tails with Pete's philosophy of putting young, and, or inexperienced players on the field. He is depending on an upside that will hopefully blend with just enough experience as the season progresses. That approach kind of lends itself to slow starts to games and seasons, because they have to speed-learn the youngsters on what opponents are doing to them, and how to counter it. Many times, their excellent half-time adjustments compensate for the lack of experience, but think about how adept they must be to make adjustments that still work with the youngsters on the field.

We are pretty much stuck with the slow starts, IMO. Especially with the OL being in such a state of flux. We will pretty much spend all of the first half of games trying to establish the run, then either we successfully wear them down by the second half, or we're so far in the hole we go to semi-spread and let Russ work his magic.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I expect less injury trouble. In 2014 we lost the SB becauae of sudden injuries to Avril and Lane. Last year we might have made it all the way if we still had Graham and Rawls. I think this year will finally be the time where we can show our full potential again.

To be honest I'm expecting a lot out of this year. Last year was a bounce back year and we overcame it perfectly. Now all pieces are set and I see us winning the division and getting a bye. I'm not sure if we win the SB but we should be one of the top contenders.

Largent80

Reaction score
With a completely overhauled O-Line (that will have growing pains) we end up similar to last year, maybe one game better.

We make the playoffs and roll out a victory in the Owl.

penihawk

Reaction score
Winning the SB is always the expectation with this team now but there are a few things every year that dictate the final outcome. Some are things they cant control and some are.

These are the 3 things beyond our control that play a huge role in the final outcome of the season.

1) Injuries (or lack there off)
2) Schedule ( the timing of when & where we get certain opponents)
3) Luck (those weird bounces or calls that can win or lose a game or 2 every year)

These things all went our way in our championship season.

The 3 things that we control that have to happen this year imo are as follows:

1) Wilson must play the whole year like he finished the last and I think he will. (yes I know he needs help from the OL)
2) The D has to get back to taking the football away and put us at the top of the league in +/- ratio.
3) We have to get back to owning our own division. 5-1 or 6-0 in division games and we need to kick the shit out of the Rams twice please.

So having said that, my early prediction before I even know who's on the roster is 12-4, win NFC after beating the Giants and Panthers & finally get our revenge in the SB by beating the Steelers. Can't wait!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think we have a great season, We will get our swagger back and go 8-0 at home. We will sweep the division and finish 13-3. #1 seed in the NFC

--Home
W-Arizona
W-Los Angeles
W-San Francisco
W-Atlanta
W-Carolina
W-Buffalo
W-Miami
w-Philadelphia

--Away
W-Arizona
W-Los Angeles
W-San Francisco
W-New Orleans
W-Tampa Bay
L-New England
L-NY Jets
L-Green Bay

Playoff Seeds
1-Seattle
2-Carolina
3-GB
4-NYG
5-Min
6-Atl

WC- Bye
Divisonal - W vs Min
NFCCG - W vs GB or Carolina
Super Bowl - W vs NE

Cyrus12

Reaction score
with an even shittier o line wilson who is pre occupied with his wedding plans gets hurt...we sign rg3 and go 7-9. it can only get better from this early prediction. but frig wr need o line help!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'll have more realistic expectations when the draft is finished, FA is finished and the schedule is released.

As of today - I fully expect them to be in the thick of another division crown and one of the better records in the conference. From there its always a crap shoot.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Well...

My heart says 13-3, but my head doesn't see how the team is any better than last season. In fact, I'm not sure that we haven't degraded a bit, but I'll wait to see how FA and the draft go. I suppose that those 4th quarter collapses are more of an anomaly, so that's good, but a lot of our younger players need to step up, find their consistency, and stay healthy, dammit!

After having our roster picked over by desperate teams with more dollars than we have for the past few seasons, along with not seeing great results in some of the trades we made, this offseason is pivotal for John to add talent that yields immediate positive impact in addition to setting us up well for the future. It will be fascinating to see how it all unfolds.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Everything depends on the schedule. If we get a good distribution of tough games, I see us going between 11 and 13 wins. If they front load us like last two years, then we are looking at 9-12 wins.

My predicted schedule
At New England - Loss
At LA - Loss
vs Atl - Win
vs Philly - Win
At Tampa - Win
At GB - Loss
vs Az - Win
vs Carolina - Loss
vs Buffalo - Win
at NO - Win
at NY - Win
vs SF - Win
vs Miami - Win
at SF - Win
vs LA - Win
at Az - Loss

Will update after the schedule comes out and free agency is over. Don't think the draft will have a huge impact either way. If the NFL wins it's appeal against Brady and he gets suspended, I would bet that game moves to later in the year and is replaced by at GB.

- bsd

mrt144

Reaction score
Getting to play NFC 2nd place division opponents is nice

Latest posts