Poll: If you were Sherman do you play?

You're Richard Sherman, Baby being born on Sunday, what do you do?

• Play in the Super Bowl

Votes: 165 87.8%
  • Witness your child's birth

Votes: 23 12.2%

• Total voters

woodstockme

Reaction score
His fiancee has said she will not tell him if she is in labor on Sunday. He will play.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1tv6hy3e said:
Labor takes awhile if it's #1. He could do both easy.

They can also induce with pitocin tomorrow. No c-section though. Good hospitals don't want those because they end up messing with the baby's immune system.

Either way millions of dollars + SB ring >>>> child's birth.

Exactly. That's what my wife said. Her words: "Is that his GFs first? Yeah? Then it doesn't matter if she goes into labor 2 or 3 hours before the game, he's still gonna have time to play, shower, and get there to hold her hand."

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
No true competitor would miss the big game. Very few players will ever get to play in one, let alone 2 in a row.

chawx

Reaction score
I have 3 kids, I witnessed my first two and missed my 3rd because the Dr. told me it was fine for me to head home (5 minute drive) and shower and come back because the baby was about 5-6 hours away... lo' and behold she came out right after I left. So, being has I have seen 2 and missed 1... I can attest to it better than most. I say play in the Super Bowl and play your ass off for him!

He will look back on that day, watching highlights of his dad making the game-winning INT and being so proud that he was born around the same time. He'll understand. His GF/fianceé/whatever already seems to understand. Will Sherm grow old and regret his decision to play if he misses his child's birth? Honestly, some days he probably will...other day he probably won't.

It's probably not the popular thing to say around some women, namely non-football fan women who wouldn't be reading this post anyway. On this site, 90% of us say he should play regardless, in reality, and across a larger sample of non-Seahawk fans and non-football fans, that number is probably close to 75%-80% the other way. In the court of public opinion he'll be blasted for "playing a stupid game" over witnessing his child's birth... but your world is your world. People are going to love or hate you either way. This is your life, this is your livelyhood, this is what you do. Sherm will raise his child to understand all this, and at the end of the day, the people who love Sherm and who Sherm loves most, will understand his decision to play (if that's what it is)...

retro74

Reaction score
I'd miss the birth for a pre-season game never mind a Super Bowl

As a dad you're just a spare part for the whole time anyway

GFang

Reaction score
How is this even a question??? A man's role is to plant that seed, bring home the bacon, and in Sherman's case, whoop some Patriot butt in the Super Bowl. Always has been. Let the woman and her female relatives handle the childbirth.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":xpq63pj1 said:
I don't know man.

Of course you'd feel guilty if you missed your child's birth but I suppose you could live with it.

What I don't think I could live with is if something happened to the child during birth, or heaven forbid, your spouse and you weren't there.

Wait. What?

themunn

Reaction score
Children are born every second
It's not that big a deal

People are making a bigger deal of this because it's his first child. Let's say it was his 3rd, 5th, 7th, 15th child or whatever, do you miss the birth then? Are firstborns that much more important?

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
This may sound callous and perhaps a bit fan-centric selfish, but he can have someone videotape his child’s birth. He's having a boy. Think about it, men of this board. Which story would you rather tell in school?

“My Dad, the best corner in the world, skipped playing in the Super Bowl to watch me be born!”

… or …

“My Dad has two Super Bowl rings!”

Those should be your poll questions.

A

Anonymous

You know, they have ways to postpone labor that are quite benign.

He could be at her bed-side hours after the final whistle.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Were his wife on her death bed, there might be a question. As it is, there is absolutely no question. Babies are born every day to father's in a far away war zone with no problems.
Why this question is even asked just proves how bored everyone is with having to wait so long for kick off.

kidhawk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2cj9o5e8 said:
This is fun but pretty moot. He's playing in the Super Bowl. End of discussion.

Oh, and thanks for the "witness" votes Patriot Fans...

They weren't all Patriot Fans. Sherman says there's a plan in place but wouldn't say he'd be at the game absolutely. Roland pretty much nailed it though, it won't be an issue. You have to know that doctors are keeping a close eye on things. If she were even hinting at giving birth early they'd likely induce or delay depending n the timing. The odds of her giving birth while the game is on are very low.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of course I play.

I'd venture to guess most of us here, especially the older members didn't have their father's at their mom's side. Hell, until the 80's and 90's father's weren't even let in the delivery room..........they were in the waiting room sucking down Winston's pacing back and forth. OR they were at their jobs.

Sherm will play, no doubt.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
They sure timed this kid to be born at the worst possible time, eh? :p Anyway, that kid will grow up and possibly get to tell everyone that while he was being born, his dad was playing in one of the biggest games of his entire career. I think his son will forgive him if he misses the birth.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
What better excuse not to be there for the birth? I know, I watched both of my kids being born and if I had been given the choice to see them being extruded (causing significant, if only temporary damage!) from my wife's nether regions, vs oh... watching a Superbowl, then maybe... :twisted:

Jiggy

Reaction score
M2MG":23s4jw9e said:
I missed my first child being born while I was stationed in Germany. I was stationed in Baumholder and was in the field in Grafenwoehr for something really silly. It really sucked at the time but I don't think that it has had any lasting effect on our relationship (she will be 18 next month). That being said, I really wish I could tell her that I was busy playing in the Super Bowl while she was born.

Graf is silly... <insert bad words here> about Graf.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LOL

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 59m59 minutes ago
Pete Carroll on impending birth of Richard Sherman's son: "I can't wait to meet little Petey."

Xarbx425

Reaction score
Here's the solution. If she goes into labor during the game... live stream it on the jumbotron and Sherm gets best of both worlds!

Steve2222

Reaction score
If hid gf is adamant he be there I would miss the Super Bowl. If she wants him to play no matter what, I would miss my child's birth for a Super Bowl no question. I'd immediately leave the game as soon as the game has been decided.

If my father told me he missed my birth because he was playing in a Super Bowl I would say "badass!"

Steve2222

Reaction score
Jiggy":132f4ue6 said:
M2MG":132f4ue6 said:
I missed my first child being born while I was stationed in Germany. I was stationed in Baumholder and was in the field in Grafenwoehr for something really silly. It really sucked at the time but I don't think that it has had any lasting effect on our relationship (she will be 18 next month). That being said, I really wish I could tell her that I was busy playing in the Super Bowl while she was born.

Graf is silly... <insert bad words here> about Graf.

It's better than Fort Polk, LA though.