Poll: Do you think Seattle retains Golden Tate?

Will Golden Tate sign back with Seattle in free agency?

• Yes- He will remain a Seahawk.

Votes: 105 69.1%
  • No- He will sign elsewhere.

Votes: 47 30.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":20cdmcj6 said:
kearly":20cdmcj6 said:
I think Seattle will probably be willing to go as far as $5 million a year.

I was speculating the same thing last night while discussing this with my wife. I said if I were John Schneider I'd offer up 5-years, $25 M, with about 15-18 guaranteed, and use bonuses in that creative way they do for optimal cap-friendliness.

Those of you who follow and understand NFL salaries better, does that sound likely? Plausible?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think we have all the leverage here, the WR FA market is flooded and the draft is very deep at that position.. so I see Tate staying for a pretty affordable deal.

Penman96

Reaction score
He's wants to be a Seahawk. This team stick with him the first two years when he was growing up, and I think Seattle feels like family to him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":91yjf76j said:
I think the WR will be so soft and that he comes back slightly unhappy about his deal. But I hope signing him long term doesn't mean we lose Doug next year. I value Doug's ability to separate on his route and get open more than Tate's YAC.
Yes but, you'd better believe that the more time that Wilson has with his Receivers, the more they ALL will improve.
ALSO, you have to remember that Doug Baldwin was injured some, last Season, and Tate came through for Wilson on plenty of plays.
Not saying that there isn't another Receiver that couldn't come in and become a warrior in short order, but I believe Tate has proven that he is willing to take a hit if it means freeing up one of his team mates, and he also dishes out the same hits that he takes.
I don't think it's an either or, as I believe that we can and will keep both Tate and Baldwin, and too, I think that's the continuity that Wilson will benefit from.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
With the leaving of Big Red....it would just "kill" me to see our SB team being gutted one player at a time. Please stay Golden!

chrispy

Reaction score
What were the dates last year when the receivers and RW went to SCal to throw? I wonder if that might a mark on the calendar when things become more clear as to who the receiver corp really is going to be....

nanomoz

Reaction score
50/50. I could see Carolina and New England being interested enough in his mix of skills to offer 20% more than the Hawks can. Both teams are desperate for dudes that are gritty and dangerous in the open field.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I did find it interesting that on Twitter is a photo of him playing golf with the big New Orleans TE Jimmy Graham today .

QuahHawk

Reaction score
FA money could be ridiculous this year, sure seems like the over paying of the past will be back this year. I voted no, as I think we are too smart to overpay for anybody. If we have to overpay someone I hope it's Bennett.

plyka

Reaction score
theascension":2ovi1c84 said:
Absolutely no question. He was the 2nd best punt returner last year (and the other.. dexter mccluster probably faced worse special teams in the AFC). Punt returning is difficult and Pete knows how important special teams play is. He can be a bit immature (hand taunt in Rams game) but he's a fighter and very important to Seattle.

I've read this over and over, but where is this figure coming from? Are you using total punt return YARDS? If so, that's just a function of how many punts you return. Punt return yards per return would be a better metric.

Sac

Reaction score
plyka":23h6883a said:
theascension":23h6883a said:
Absolutely no question. He was the 2nd best punt returner last year (and the other.. dexter mccluster probably faced worse special teams in the AFC). Punt returning is difficult and Pete knows how important special teams play is. He can be a bit immature (hand taunt in Rams game) but he's a fighter and very important to Seattle.

I've read this over and over, but where is this figure coming from? Are you using total punt return YARDS? If so, that's just a function of how many punts you return. Punt return yards per return would be a better metric.

Pretty sure it's his average

themunn

Reaction score
plyka":2cwf63j5 said:
theascension":2cwf63j5 said:

In fairness, number of punt returns speaks to the ability of the returner to make the first guy miss and not go for the fair catch - Golden Tate and Dexter McCluster were the only 2 players in the league with over 50 returns, there weren't any other players with more than 40 - they had 11 and 14 fair catches respectively, whereas most returners had 20 plus.

Average punt return yards isn't a great metric either, as if a player has one long return for a TD, it massively increases their average due to the lower number of returns - Hester's 14.2 yard return average looks great for example, but without an 81 yard TD his average goes down to a much more pedestrian 10.3 yards per return.

Tate's average staying so high despite the large number of attempts shows that he was consistently breaking 10-20 yard returns, which is far more valuable than occasionally breaking one for a long distance (which he did too, and had at least 1 return called back for holding that would probably have put him top in yards and close to it in average).

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Happypuppy":68rpab3u said:
I did find it interesting that on Twitter is a photo of him playing golf with the big New Orleans TE Jimmy Graham today .

Did you mean Jimmy Clausen? I saw a picture of him with Clausen and Jonathan Stewart on the golf course.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
mbtitleist":22865y3f said:
Happypuppy":22865y3f said:

Did you mean Jimmy Clausen? I saw a picture of him with Clausen and Jonathan Stewart on the golf course.

Yes sorry..... Thanks for the correction