Poll: Can Geno Take Us All The Way

Do you believe Geno Smith can take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl and win?

• Yes

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 41.6%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 22 14.8%

• Total voters

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think you’re a grown man but you type with special characters and capitalize random letters, like a child. Regardless, we’ll agree to disagree. Best of luck to you and your keyboard warrior career.
IF you don't understand something Blaze, you might just want to TRYN' pay closer attention to details of the goin'-Ons, and it's not "Luck", it's WISDOM....@ 75, I've Been There & Done That.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Clearly we need to trade back far enough to draft Stetson Bennett (pick 184 would probably raise some eyebrows). We will be sitting pretty then.
LOLOL That would be some funny shit man, Stetson has some industrial size Ballz (would be the perfect Backup)

Blazin Hawk

Reaction score
IF you don't understand something Blaze, you might just want to TRYN' pay closer attention to details of the goin'-Ons, and it's not "Luck", it's WISDOM....@ 75, I've Been There & Done That.
75, that explains everything. Okay boomer 🤣

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Let's calm it down, gents. It's a contentious topic but we gotta chill with the personal insults. Let's get the convo back to Geno and his ability.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If Brock Purdy can get to the NFCCG, Geno Smith can quarterback a team to the big dance.

It all depends on the overall talent of the roster.

Nick Foles and Trent Dilfer won Super Bowls.

Case Keenum made a championship game.

Blake Bortles quarterbacked a Jaguars team that got screwed out of making it to the big dance by the referees.

Surely, you've all seen every single one of these teams in the postseason. They're all in recent history other than Dilfer. How can one see all of that and then say "but Geno can't make it?"

That just doesn't compute
Their rosters were light years better. They also didn’t make mistakes. Geno led the league in turnover worthy throws but his turnover % on those throws was less than half the league average. He couldn’t had 20 plus picks if he hit the average. He was also very good at times.

So sure in a vacuum he can but not with this current roster and even if your draft is as good as last years it’s not going to fill all the holes they have and if you spend 30 on Geno you’re relying on your draft class almost exclusively.

So can he? Sure. Will he in Seattle? I think they have a better shot if they pay a rookie QB wage and use the money to supplement the draft. 3 of the 4 teams left are using that model or a version of it and the one team that isn’t has possibly the greatest QB ever and a coach who might be as well.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Geno had a lower "Turnover worthy plays" than Josh Allen and Tua. RW was 7th. Andy Dalton was tied for 4th. I think we can toss that out as an anomaly.

Mick063

Reaction score
Geno more than earned the right to prove he can repeat at a Pro Bowl level. Thats right. The highest completion percentage in the league earned him a Pro Bowl (Hint: It's called accuracy.). Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm not interested in quarterbacks that can "carry" the team. That is fool's gold for San Diego, Cleveland, and Buffalo fans to believe in, and Mahomes/Burrow are like winning the lottery. Even if you picked top ten for a decade straight. When folks whine about not having a generational talent like that it is reminiscent of grandma's weekly complaint that her favorite six numbers didn't win Mega Millions........for the 104th straight time. 104 grandma dollar bills spent on a dream that never came true.

Meanwhile, a Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Russell Wilson, or possibly Brock Purdy manages to occasionally sneak in there at a respectable clip. Obviously, a quarterback that can "carry" the team isn't a prerequisite and the last I looked, none of them threw for 3,000 yards or completed 70% of their passes in their Super Bowl winning seasons. Which means that based upon last season, Geno is more than capable of winning a title as a starting quarterback.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Right, because completion percentage makes you a great QB who wins so many playoff games and SB's.
You flat out need QB's who can carry the team in the clutch. In a huge game. In a playoff game. Stats don't mean sh**
Wins and losses do. Guys like Burrow and Mohomes absolutely DO carry the team when it matters.
Geno had a hell of a season. But to act like he's some clutch, top tier QB just because he had a high completion percentage? NO. Winning percentage and actually winning big games in the 4th quarter are a hell of a lot more important than "stats"
Geno is a good not great QB. And he's not even in the same Stratosphere of several QB's in the league.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Right, because completion percentage makes you a great QB who wins so many playoff games and SB's.
You flat out need QB's who can carry the team in the clutch. In a huge game. In a playoff game. Stats don't mean sh**
Wins and losses do. Guys like Burrow and Mohomes absolutely DO carry the team when it matters.
Geno had a hell of a season. But to act like he's some clutch, top tier QB just because he had a high completion percentage? NO. Winning percentage and actually winning big games in the 4th quarter are a hell of a lot more important than "stats"
Geno is a good not great QB. And he's not even in the same Stratosphere of several QB's in the league.
This. If completion percentage were all that mattered, then why was his red zone scoring percentage so low?

Mick063

Reaction score
Top tier. Too funny. Show me where the top tier QB tree is and I'll pick some up for you on my way home.

I'm "acting" like Geno is "top tier"? Since when is pointing out that breaking a franchise record for yards, getting to the pro bowl, getting to the playoffs for the first time in years, and leading the league in FG% is "acting"? I think it is merely stating indisputable facts. It isn't really "acting" like anything, except for perhaps, honesty.

Let's discard the best completion percentage in the league because the quarterback is supposed to "carry" the Seattle defense.

You know what isn't clutch? Your post. Because you picked one single talking point out of an entire paragraph that more than adequately addresses everything that you just wrote. Instead of countering you, point by point, I'll have to ask you to read it again because I'm not going to copy and paste old posts that already counter your "argument". Cripes. You just read it.

Good Lord. I can't even.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Look…I was very impressed by Geno and Pete this last season. I’m confident that we’re headed in the right direction

I also hope JS (and/or PC) love a QB this year. While QB is nowhere near the top of our list of needs if Geno returns, this year would be a great time to pick a rookie up and let him develop alongside the rest of the rookies…especially Lucas and Cross and maybe even a Center we should draft. Long term planning makes us competitive in ‘24 or ‘25.

But, I’m guess we’ll end up paying Geno $30M+ and will continue to get bounced in the Wild Card.

Maybe we should look at timing and spacing a bit more. It’s hard to do as I assume PC doesn’t have a longer window (coaching wise) as some. Not talking about his health…dude is going to break the 100 barrier if he keeps going like this. I’m talking about that “I’m too old for this shit” point. I’m sure he wants to win NOW.

As for timing, our rookies will continue to develop but, on average, won’t start to touch their potential until 2-3 years out. We’re likely going to look completely different in 2-3 years…hell, maybe next season as there are quite a few folks that need to go (PC was spot on with his talent gap statement).

When we’re a real threat and not a surprise guest in the playoffs, which is not happening next year and maybe not the year after that, you guys want Geno as your QB?

I agree with ‘Fish….I don’t think he has the ability to pull us out of these nail-biting contests that PC likes to play (safe, keep it close, etc…).

Don’t mistake my comments as hate. This last season was the most enjoyable one in several years for me. JS and PC killed the draft. Geno popped off. Rookies started and tore it up. I’m more excited than worried about this next draft (opposite of previous years).

I’d love Geno back on a hometown discount. His style of play would be perfect for an unrefined rookie to learn from.

But, if he can get ultra-PAID in the latter part of his career, I think we’d be better off letting him walk.

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
This. If completion percentage were all that mattered, then why was his red zone scoring percentage so low?
Waldron made the mistake of trusting DK to high point a ball way too often (something he is bad at). And DK dropped several passes in the red zone that were in his hands. Funny how the receivers play a part in completion percentage.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If carrying a team mattered, how do you explain Trent Dilfer?
One year flash in the pan, with a good team around him, that's how. But he wasn't able to sustain it, whereas a young top tier qb could set us up for success for years to come. When they get too expensive, let them walk. Wash, rinse, repeat. Of course it's a gamble. Everything worthwhile is. But when three of the four final four teams in this year's playoffs are with qb's under rookie contracts, and our only superbowl win was with the same model, it seems self evident to me that this is the way to go, rather than investing heavily in a mid 30's second tier qb. I should quit commenting on this. I've said my piece. I need to let it go.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Waldron made the mistake of trusting DK to high point a ball way too often (something he is bad at). And DK dropped several passes in the red zone that were in his hands. Funny how the receivers play a part in completion percentage.
Good point.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Top tier. Too funny. Show me where the top tier QB tree is and I'll pick some up for you on my way home.

I'm "acting" like Geno is "top tier"? Since when is pointing out that breaking a franchise record for yards, getting to the pro bowl, getting to the playoffs for the first time in years, and leading the league in FG% is "acting"? I think it is merely stating indisputable facts. It isn't really "acting" like anything, except for perhaps, honesty.

Let's discard the best completion percentage in the league because the quarterback is supposed to "carry" the Seattle defense.

You know what isn't clutch? Your post. Because you picked one single talking point out of an entire paragraph that more than adequately addresses everything that you just wrote. Instead of countering you, point by point, I'll have to ask you to read it again because I'm not going to copy and paste old posts that already counter your "argument". Cripes. You just read it.

Good Lord. I can't even.
LOLOL You're trying to talk sense with Soul, War, and other 'THINK They Know it Allers'.
They'll openly admit that Brock Purdy has a Riches of Offensive weaponry to attack and conquer, and on top of that, a Top 3 Defense, yet Geno couldn't do as well or better with an upgraded Seahawks Offense + Defense, because it's GeNO Smith, I mean, does that even sound like they are going with rational reasoning?
When they say that Stats don't mean sh*t to them, What they're really saying is > that 'Stats Don't Mean Sh*t' >UNLESS< it is THEY who are Presenting them.
I think SargentLargent has pinned the tail on this "Can Geno Take us All The Way" donkey with the How Much will it COST to sign him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're funny, Scutter. I have never once said I know more than Pete and John. Quite the opposite. But I'm glad you're thinking about me. I always have a good laugh when someone says I'm a homer and/or pom pom waver. When I spend A LOT of time pointing out what's wrong with the team and/or what they need to fix. Like losing all 4 games to the NFC South and losing to a crap Raiders team. Getting outcoached on a regular basis. Getting dominated in the trenches, over and over again. But, because I dare question the almighty Geno Smith, you're all butt hurt.
You are quite sensitive. Lighten up, Francis.
75 years old and you whine like my 8 year old nephew.

Latest posts