#PICK 149 MICHEAL DICKSON PUNTER TEXAS

AlciG

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":h2v3dwbv said:
Here's a great video about MIchael Dickson. He's a beast of a punter!!!! I've been begging for Rugby kickers for years, Aussie rules football is a close second. Heck yeah. Stoked about this pick.

[youtube]pkWIZ7HZlUk[/youtube]

Thanks for the vid. But I don’t see any rugby background in it. Only see him playing Aussie rules football

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Being someone who grew up in Sask and watched Jon Ryan play since he was punter / placekicker / receiver in college I feel like a traitor for saying the punting game was not good last year. Add age and cap money and this move makes sense. Sorry Jon. (you're financially set. End your football career in your hometown!)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":mbcswcum said:
Can he hold place kicks?

Excellent question. Ryan was great at getting the ball down with laces out on kicks.

It may sound silly, but with the game on the line, never underestimate the importance of the holder.

Rat

Reaction score
When I see what Dickson can do, I get reminded of that 2009 Chargers-Colts playoff game where Mike Scifres just went completely insane. I can't remember a punter balling out so much in one game. It'd be great to have that kind of advantage.

Jac

Reaction score
original poster":2gtcu1bh said:
We got considerably cheaper, considerably better and considerably younger at the most undervalued position in football.

I bloody love this selection.

Yeah, I feel like this is some of that fifth round magic re-emerging. Watching some of this highlights, this is the first time I got the sense that a punter was "aiming" at one of his teammates running downfield, versus just booting it in a general direction and hoping for a good bounce. This guy can be a field position demon who's going to frustrate other teams.

One of my football pet peeves is the talking heads consistently and incessantly making fun of kickers. Maybe it's not a physically taxing position, but it's a mentally taxing one that frequently decides games that your team spent the whole week preparing for and 60 minutes giving every last ounce of effort in.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, the kicking game is extremely important. Not only can a kicker lose it for you (cough cough Walsh cough cough) but a great punter flat out flips the field. Field position is huge in the outcome of many games.

chris98251

Reaction score
I need to see him kick against NFL speed, he has a unique drop and curious if that is going to be slower and easier to block.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's been called the best punter since Ray Guy, shoot if he's 80 percent of what Ray Guy was we are in good hands.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
AlciG":3it1ba6e said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3it1ba6e said:
Here's a great video about MIchael Dickson. He's a beast of a punter!!!! I've been begging for Rugby kickers for years, Aussie rules football is a close second. Heck yeah. Stoked about this pick.

[youtube]pkWIZ7HZlUk[/youtube]

Thanks for the vid. But I don’t see any rugby background in it. Only see him playing Aussie rules football

That’s what I said. Aussie Rules is a close second.

Seymour

Reaction score
I like the pick, but I'm going to miss this crazy guy. :|

xuOOB1t.png

ivotuk

Reaction score
Not to derail, but watching his punting at Texas, a #29 is downfield on every kick! Can we get that guy next year? A speedy Texas DB that wears 29 and is all over punt returners? I'll take it :)

Josh Thompson Superfast 6'0" DB at 200# to go with our punter. Yes please :2thumbs:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... h-thompson

I'm glad Pete is finally recognizing the importance of the kicking game. I"m sure Brian Schneider is too :179417:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
chris98251":f2qqkxga said:
I need to see him kick against NFL speed, he has a unique drop and curious if that is going to be slower and easier to block.

I thought i read a scouting report on Sat that said he was quick at getting rid of the ball. Regarding another post, I thought I read he can hold too.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mdcksn/status/991021733837713408[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheSeahawksWire/status/991033166956761090[/tweet]

Seafan

Reaction score
He blasted an 80 yard punt in mini-camp yesterday. Can't wait to watch in preseason.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I don’t know if he ever held for place kicks at UT. I know he wasn’t the primary holder going into last season. That was Trey Holtz.

If McGough makes the 53, I assume he will get the nod. He held in college. I would rather trust someone with at least some experience.

Seymour

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2iai0qx9 said:
Chapow":2iai0qx9 said:
Grahamhawker":2iai0qx9 said:
You want to pick at the head of the run, not at the end. P&J pulled it off with P and RB.

And yet some people can't do anything except whine about value and supposed reaches even though the more information that comes out, the more clear it becomes that Penny was not a reach. Anyone that threw a tantrum proclaiming Penny would have easily been available in the 3rd round has proven that they have no idea what they are talking about.

We got arguably the best RB right before all the good RB's went off the board.

We got the undisputed best punter, right before the other teams went crazy on punters and took them all of the board.

That's GREAT drafting.

These people complaining, man, it's completely out there, what's being said - utter nonsense... I think maybe the state of Washington ought to reconsider it's outlook on weed.

We also got the top #1 blocking TE in the entire draft. No complaints from me here.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Some of you are upset that we drafted a punter. I’m upset we didn’t also get a great place kicker! This guy will be a weapon for us especially if Pete continues to hold the offense back.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I'd rather not have Dickson holding if McGough makes the roster and can do the job. Having a QB as a holder provides one more look that opposing special teams must be ready for.

Dickson can focus on improving or maintaining his already talented punting abilities.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
And I was going to add, "everyone knew John Ryan would never throw a pass," but then I realized how that all worked out. :)

Latest posts