Pete's Monday Presser - 11/04

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
So I was listening to Pete's presser from yesterday and about 15 minutes in, something caught my attention. After a question about Percy Harvin's return one of the journalists asks this...

Question: "You mention you guys are kind of like a work in progress, is that strange to say as a coach given you're 8-1?"

Pete: "No, I think it's a beautiful thing to say. No, I'm glad that I'm saying that right now, in a sense because we've got a lot of stuff ahead of us that we're gonna have to get better - to, to handle and to deal with so… umm ya know, we don't want to peak too early (chuckles) ya know?"

I don't know exactly why, but him acknowledging that we don't want to peak too early really stood out to me.

Obviously, the coaches realize that there are things to work on, between the run defense and our pass protection (Pete addresses both things in this presser), but this has me thinking about what we've been seeing and what our coaches expect to see at the end of the season.

In other news...

He says Breno should be starting to practice with the team on Wednesday, barring any setbacks.

Percy apparently had a really good rehab session on Monday, and he's basically day to day. Sounds like they are playing their cards pretty close to their chest with Percy.

Talked about the fact that our run defense allowed around 30 yards at Arizona but "went over the cliff" allowing 200 in the last couple.

Pointed out that Russell didn't take any sacks this last weekend, but he got hit somewhere around about 5 times and some of them were obviously to the head. Said it's an area they're continuing to work on and they were pleased to see progress.

He's asked about ET's INT/PI call and said he's waiting to hear back on the league from it. Said he wasn't sure what was wrong with it, understood there was a little contact but didn't feel it was impeding the receiver at all. He told the guys he would tell them what the league says on Wednesday.

For anyone with 22 minutes to kill... http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...nference/627ac907-b06c-480e-ab57-9556c5a681bd

mikeak

Reaction score
I have posted a bit on the same.

I truly believe part of the playcalling is the same. They simply don't want to roll it all out there. They know they can win with this style of football and then have something left in the tank to unveil in the playoffs. Kind of reminds me of 49ers at end of last year. Kaep suddenly didn't do much RO and then against GB BANG crushed them

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not a knock on anyone in particular but I sure am getting tired of hearing the phrase "day-to-day" this year. Anyone else?

Chapow

Reaction score
mikeak":2uqk421q said:

I truly believe part of the playcalling is the same. They simply don't want to roll it all out there. They know they can win with this style of football and then have something left in the tank to unveil in the playoffs. Kind of reminds me of 49ers at end of last year. Kaep suddenly didn't do much RO and then against GB BANG crushed them

OK, think about what you just posted for a minute. Do you really, and I mean really, believe that? That would be a helluva risky game they're playing if true. I could maybe see that being the case if we were winning games comfortably, but we're not.

Do you really think that this team could be playing better and winning more easily (as opposed to barely), but they're just choosing not too?

OP
OP
JGfromtheNW

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Aros":1mtmehha said:
Not a knock on anyone in particular but I sure am getting tired of hearing the phrase "day-to-day" this year. Anyone else?

It's every team, every week, some team has a star player "day-to-day" for weeks on end lol. Gronkowski was "day-to-day" for what, three or four weeks?

12thMan1

Reaction score
Aros":2nxskljl said:

I 12th that notion! Give us a damn timeline already!

zhawk

Reaction score
I think pete knows what he's doing. pete, you coach, i'll cheer. :thirishdrinkers:

mikeak

Reaction score
Chapow":1ksi6ix3 said:
mikeak":1ksi6ix3 said:

OK, think about what you just posted for a minute. Do you really, and I mean really, believe that? That would be a helluva risky game they're playing if true. I could maybe see that being the case if we were winning games comfortably, but we're not.

Do you really think that this team could be playing better and winning more easily (as opposed to barely), but they're just choosing not too?

Yes

I don't think they see it as a worse gameplan more like a different more conservative game plan that they should win with. I fully expect more pistol with deeper passes as we move into must win games. Maybe a few drives with no-huddle. We have won tight but are sitting 8-1 and currently has the tie-breaker against 49ers. No reason to show it all

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if the coaches have been game planning teams in a certain ways to create the most adversity... I know it sounds stupid but in the bigger picture... competition breeds champions. I'm not saying its done purposely 100 percent but it just wouldn't surprise me if the coaches are stubborn in their game plan design until they are absolutely forced to make adjustments... it could be a big reason why the Seahawks appear to play down to their opponents...and it could honestly be the best way to become the best team in the NFL...each whacky folly or letdown is player experience, is team experience.

Whose to say that these coaches know exactly what they're doing, and their building metrics of what works and what doesn't but the only way to find out is to run a certain play plenty of times to build up the data. They got their money ball statistics and likely the team will weed out the successful plays from the unsuccessful.

In the bigger picture Seahawks may be the best prepared team in the NFL in the playoffs, only because they've had faced a plethora of adverse situations and won despite many negative things. And what is really all comes down to is resiliency and the team won't crumble nor lose their fighter's mentality when things don't always go according to plan.

Without resiliency in their veins Seahawks are an average team at best... the Seahawks are FEARED... this is a team that can do everything wrong but still has the ability to battle back and win. In their last 35 games, Seahawks are 25-10... in those 10 losses Seahawks have lost by a total of 43 points. 4.3 points per game. The most the Seahawks have lost by in that span was 7 points. It only happened once. 1/35 games .

In at least three cases we've seen the Seahawks battle back from Halftime deficits of 17, 20, and 21 points. AND win two of those games. AND lose the other by merely 3 points given up in less than 30 seconds.

The identity of this team isn't NightcRaWl3r *poof* now you see him, now you don't *poof* (Russell Wilson), Beastmode, or the Legion of Boom...its the team resilient constitution... no matter how bad the situation or how difficult the task at hand is.. the team has the ability to overcome any and all such obstacles to win the game.

You do not need style points to win games. Seahawks have a champion worthy team and no opponent is just going to take an opportunity of winning from them without a fight, without a battle.

The Seattle Sea-Borgs' death motto warns "compete at your own risk, -correction- bring everything you have...resistance is futile."

dunceface

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3iam8kk9 said:
The Seattle Sea-Borgs' death motto warns "compete at your own risk, -correction- bring everything you have...resistance is futile."

:mrgreen:

The Radish

Reaction score
Aros":13j01awr said:

Come on Todd you should be comfortable with that coach speak. I'm pretty sure it means "none of your damned business" or "I have no answer for that so am using this former quote".

:141847_bnono: