Pete's Presser Yesterday - A few Notable Quotes

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score

Since this is twentythree minutes, a few highlights:

Ken Walker III is almost ready but they don’t want to rush it, so it's a "Maybe" for Monday.
Boye Mafe and Sydney Jones look ready to go.
Alton Robinson is not ready as of yesterday.
Damian Lewis is improving and Artie Burns is a bit behind.

The defense “can fly now” and are playing well together.

Carson Palmer is his ideal QB.

Among the notable quotations aligning with a few discussions here that some may find interesting:

When asked about Sherman being in the building more, he said:

"I think Sherm is kind of just a connection to a lot of guys, KJ's been around, our guys follow Doug, Kearse has been out here. They've been close to us and they felt good about coming back and I think that it's what I always hoped would happen, going through the years with our guys together. That they would feel comfortable, feel connected, and they would be welcomed. I think Sherm is, and he's fired up about watching our guys and the DB's and all that, so he's been around and he's been a fun part. The guys really do look up to him. They know he's a great player and a great performer and he's a big character and all of that. I think the contrast is that you would think because he went somewhere else that he did it because he had issues that we'd never be able to deal with. The stuff we do here, the relationships that we build here, and the care we show in the process - it goes beyond the years playing. I think that's an indication. I think there's a lot of guys that played with us that are fired up about this game too, and they want to see this game go our way and they're jacked about it. I know I'm representing a lot of that, Whether it's Marshawn, heard from Chris Clemons the other day, all kinds of guys. I think he's just part of the connection, and when anyone who shows up is an extention of that."

When asked about this year's team identity, he said:

"It's very positive, very optimistic. They're really supportive of one another. You don't see guys trying to draw off and go into their own little world. They're very much for one another, it's the kind of mentality that you hope to have. For a long time here, we have a lot of leaders, there's been some captains but we've had a lot of leaders as well and they all stand for the right message about pulling for the guy next to them. Until we go through the experiences that allow you to come together, which will inevitably occur, that's where we begin so it's a good place we're coming from and they're going to be really jacked and really supportive of one another."

When asked about fans booing Wilson:

"You're either competing or you're not. I'm leaving it up to the 12's. You know, it's game time and we're going for it, so however they take it, I'll follow their lead on that. I'm not going to be involved in that kind of opportunity to react, so I don't have to make that decision. We'll see what happens and I'll leave it up to the 12's, I think they'll know exactly what to do."

Lagartixa

Reaction score
That was interesting. And I probably wouldn't have gone and listened to the whole 23 minutes, so this kind of thing (@BleuEyedHawk actually went beyond summarizing and typed actual quotes) is useful to me.

I find it a little bit annoying when somebody posts a link to an audio of a full hour (e.g., "hour 3") of some daily radio show and repeats the promo info that is s'posed to "hook" the listener, but doesn't even tell us at what point in the hour-long audio the interesting part occurs, nor do we get even a summary of the interesting part, much less actual interesting quotes.

What @BleuEyedHawk has done here is the right way to deal with long audio or video content that might be interesting to others here on .NET. The video is linked (it would be embedded if seahawksdotcom got its collective head out of its collective @$$ and allowed embedding), so those who are interested enough to watch/listen to the whole thing can do so, then some interesting points are summarized and a few particularly interesting quotes are reproduced verbatim. The result is that many more of us can know about the content.

Thanks so much, @BleuEyedHawk.

Donn2390

Reaction score
What do you mean by word salad?

If you're asking if I'm paraphrasing, the answer is no, those are the direct quotes. I listened to the entire thing and typed out what he'd said. I thought that maybe some here would be interested...
Thank you for bring us that, it'd much appreciated. I've been a Pete fan since long before he made his trip to Seattle. Great coach and even a greater human being. He was, still is, a great community activist in LA and continues to be so in Seattle, he just doesn't do his work for the photo op as do some...

OP
OP
B

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Thank you for bring us that, it'd much appreciated. I've been a Pete fan since long before he made his trip to Seattle. Great coach and even a greater human being. He was, still is, a great community activist in LA and continues to be so in Seattle, he just doesn't do his work for the photo op as do some...

I'm a fan of Pete too. I'm hoping that his defense philosophy will play out for a second time. IF not, then it's still fun to watch.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Pete too. I'm hoping that his defense philosophy will play out for a second time. IF not, then it's still fun to watch.
I appreciate your summary too. I like Pete as well. I do roll my eyes at some of his comments but overall, like him.

Vesuve

Reaction score

If you're asking if I'm paraphrasing, the answer is no, those are the direct quotes. I listened to the entire thing and typed out what he'd said. I thought that maybe some here would be interested...
I made this comment not towards you in particular but to Pete in general as he's prone to ....*cough* word salads and did this again about 2 weeks ago when discussing *cough again* our QB competition and decision.

I appreciate and respect your posts.

And of course....Go Hawks!

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Steelers took out Palmer's knee in the wildcard game in the same playoffs that eventually led them to us in the Super Bowl. Hawks fans and Bengals fans can forever relate to an intense dislike of that team, along with the media that glossed over any issues that could get in the way of Bettis ending his career in storybook fashion.

toffee

Reaction score
Marshawn called, Clements called, Sherm is coaching our DB, bunch of other ex-Hawks called show support and good wishes for this game. Pete named names, can't made that stuff up, can he?

toffee

Reaction score

That's a lot of effort! Salute!!

JPatera76

Reaction score
Marshawn called, Clements called, Sherm is coaching our DB, bunch of other ex-Hawks called show support and good wishes for this game. Pete named names, can't made that stuff up, can he?
pertty telling imo about wilson now that he's gone we have MORE not one or two but a few former players from our SB team wanting to help and support and be around the facilities, team and players then when russell was here.

toffee

Reaction score

"You're either competing or you're not. I'm leaving it up to the 12's. You know, it's game time and we're going for it, so however they take it, I'll follow their lead on that. I'm not going to be involved in that kind of opportunity to react, so I don't have to make that decision. We'll see what happens and I'll leave it up to the 12's, I think they'll know exactly what to do."

You're either competing or you're not? Pete you wordsmith Pete, what're you saying?

DJrmb

Reaction score

Ken Walker III is almost ready but they don’t want to rush it, so it's a "Maybe" for Monday.

Among the notable quotations aligning with a few discussions here that some may find interesting:

"I think Sherm is kind of just a connection to a lot of guys, KJ's been around, our guys follow Doug, Kearse has been out here. They've been close to us and they felt good about coming back and I think that it's what I always hoped would happen, going through the years with our guys together. That they would feel comfortable, feel connected, and they would be welcomed. I think Sherm is, and he's fired up about watching our guys and the DB's and all that, so he's been around and he's been a fun part. The guys really do look up to him. They know he's a great player and a great performer and he's a big character and all of that. I think the contrast is that you would think because he went somewhere else that he did it because he had issues that we'd never be able to deal with. The stuff we do here, the relationships that we build here, and the care we show in the process - it goes beyond the years playing. I think that's an indication. I think there's a lot of guys that played with us that are fired up about this game too, and they want to see this game go our way and they're jacked about it. I know I'm representing a lot of that, Whether it's Marshawn, heard from Chris Clemons the other day, all kinds of guys. I think he's just part of the connection, and when anyone who shows up is an extention of that."

"It's very positive, very optimistic. They're really supportive of one another. You don't see guys trying to draw off and go into their own little world. They're very much for one another, it's the kind of mentality that you hope to have. For a long time here, we have a lot of leaders, there's been some captains but we've had a lot of leaders as well and they all stand for the right message about pulling for the guy next to them. Until we go through the experiences that allow you to come together, which will inevitably occur, that's where we begin so it's a good place we're coming from and they're going to be really jacked and really supportive of one another."

Thanks for posting this and going through the effort to pull out a few quotes OP. I too thought it was interesting how PC touched on Sherm being back around a lot more as well as other guys and it resonated with something that's kind of been on my mind lately. It seems that past Seahawks are coming around a lot more and gravitating to this 2022 team.

I know many guys have stuck around the area and made Seattle their home, but that's not what I'm talking about. It seems there is a renewed interest in the this years team from former players, and like they want to be a part of it. Pete in this press conference mentioned Sherman coming back and working with the secondary as well as Doug Baldwin and Kearse both being around and talking to the guys. He also mentioned Chris Clemons calling him and inquiring about the team and giving his support. We had Mike Rob and Mike B join the broadcast team for the preseason (hopefully more of that is to come). Marshawn was supposed to be back and a part of something too throughout the season. KJ also came back and it was important for him to retire as a Seahawk, and be around the team and help as he can...

For a while it seemed like a lot of these guys wanted to focus on other things and didn't want to be around the team as much after moving on. It almost felt like they even sort of distanced themselves from the team at times. Is this all just a coincidence? Has it just been long enough for all these guys away from the team and the ol' adage "time heals all wounds" is taking place? Or has something else changed that is making these guys want to come back and be a part of this rebuilding team?

OP
OP
B

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I was wondering when somome would mention Mike B - not only were his comments original, he was hilarious. He had such a fun delivery and I didn't realize until lately how glib he was. I hope he participates in more broadcasts.

Even though the Wilson trade and who was at fault etc has been discussed to the nth degree, I thought Pete made a few revealing comments which is why I repeated them. He gaves more nuance speaking if you have time to listen to the recording. He does do his Rah Rah bit. but I still like the enthusiasm.

toffee

Reaction score
Carson Palmer was Pete's ideal QB? A tall pocket passer? Russ must really hurt Pete's feelin' somehow :)

That said, IF the hawks traded Russ in 2018 and drafted Josh Allen, Pete would have gotten his ideal QB?

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this and going through the effort to pull out a few quotes OP. I too thought it was interesting how PC touched on Sherm being back around a lot more as well as other guys and it resonated with something that's kind of been on my mind lately. It seems that past Seahawks are coming around a lot more and gravitating to this 2022 team.

I know many guys have stuck around the area and made Seattle their home, but that's not what I'm talking about. It seems there is a renewed interest in the this years team from former players, and like they want to be a part of it. Pete in this press conference mentioned Sherman coming back and working with the secondary as well as Doug Baldwin and Kearse both being around and talking to the guys. He also mentioned Chris Clemons calling him and inquiring about the team and giving his support. We had Mike Rob and Mike B join the broadcast team for the preseason (hopefully more of that is to come). Marshawn was supposed to be back and a part of something too throughout the season. KJ also came back and it was important for him to retire as a Seahawk, and be around the team and help as he can...

For a while it seemed like a lot of these guys wanted to focus on other things and didn't want to be around the team as much after moving on. It almost felt like they even sort of distanced themselves from the team at times. Is this all just a coincidence? Has it just been long enough for all these guys away from the team and the ol' adage "time heals all wounds" is taking place? Or has something else changed that is making these guys want to come back and be a part of this rebuilding team?

I was surprised on this too. Even Chris Clemons who was only here for the first two of Wilson's years and now suddenly 9+ years later he wants to be apart of the team? WTF happened internally since Russell got drafted??? I can't wait for the 30 for 30.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Carson Palmer was Pete's ideal QB?
Just for kicks, ran a comparison(nflcomparisons.com) between the two QBs in the years that they were both actively playing, same time(2012-2017).

There isn't one, single, solitary stat, regular season or playoffs where Palmer was green and RW was red. Green=higher stat/rating.

Curious choice for Pete; it must have been the intangibles.

HawkinNY

Reaction score

It’s interesting that ex players are coming around more then they used to this year. Wonder why. I hope they give knowledge that has been missing to the defense.