Pete caused the Adams fiasco from the start

NoGain

Reaction score
This trade had PC's fingerprints all over it right from the start to me. I just didn't see JS trading two first round picks for a safety with questionable hands and cover skills. This was one of those classic PC moves since 2015 or so where he seemingly kept convincing himself that we were *that* close to competing for a SB when we really weren't.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
And again Quandre Diggs took responsibility for talking Pete into how amazing him and Adams would play together. At this point why does it matter?
Well it doesn't really besides finally giving us the answer to who made the stupid deal.
JS was getting blamed quite a bit in here,including by me(an ex Pete fanboy).

BASF

Reaction score
Well it doesn't really besides finally giving us the answer to who made the stupid deal.
JS was getting blamed quite a bit in here,including by me(an ex Pete fanboy).
Which is totally weird, because Diggs ended that whole thing in one of his press conferences early last season when he said that he talked Pete into it after he and Adams became friends at the pro bowl while he was with Detroit and Adams was with the Jets. They always talked about how amazing playing together would be. All Diggs had to do was convince Carroll. The rest is our disappointing defensive history the past few seasons.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Which is totally weird, because Diggs ended that whole thing in one of his press conferences early last season when he said that he talked Pete into it after he and Adams became friends at the pro bowl while he was with Detroit and Adams was with the Jets. They always talked about how amazing playing together would be. All Diggs had to do was convince Carroll. The rest is our disappointing defensive history the past few seasons.
It is weird that a GM and coach lets a player influence him into doing a trade like that
no matter the cost or fit..

Jville

Reaction score
And again Quandre Diggs took responsibility for talking Pete into how amazing him and Adams would play together. At this point why does it matter?
It doesn't matter.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yep. We could say that about a LOT of former players. Why does it matter at this point? Russ, Adams, McDowell, etc.
They're gone, it's 2024. Move on.......
But John Schneider is still here. The Adams' trade/resigning was one of the worst moves in franchise history, and I'd like to know if our current GM had any responsibility for it, and if so, how much. If was primarily Pete's call, as this article suggests that it was, then JS deserves a little slack.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I see revisionist history going on here as people look to confirm their own biases. Huard said nothing today about the initial trade, he was purely speculating that there could be a place for Jamal as a weak-side LB if he was healthy now.

The Jets version of healthy Jamal Adams was an all-pro strong safety who played all over the place and brought intensity that we felt we badly needed but hadn't had since Kam retired. Jamal's problem here was not in how he was used, and had everything to do with him constantly being injured to the point where he could no longer play. Go back to before Jamal first got hurt when he set the NFL sack record and show me one example of anybody claiming he was being mis-used.

It was a dumb trade because we under valued our draft capital and gave up too much for a safety (or a LB). It turned out to be a terrible trade because Jamal couldn't stay healthy.

Jville

Reaction score
The article served up was conjecture. Conjecture proves nothing.

It was used to focus blame on a predetermined target.

Pete Carroll clearly remains a favorite target.

That was the sole purpose of initiating this thread.

I think it obvious.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete ran this team, anyone with half a brain knows he was to blame for the bad but too many forget he’s also deserving credit for the good things as well.

Season 1 of the Adams trade showed a lot of good and promise. In the end it was a bad deal but it had the potential to be good. Pete’s era had many bad deals but overall the PC era was the best era any Seahawk fan has ever seen.

Those who want to blame Pete for this or for that just need to get over themselves and let the past be in the past. Remember that era for what it was as a whole.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
That's cool of Diggs to "take responsibility" but it was ultimately PC who was responsible. He made ALL final decisions regarding personnel.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't blame Pete for wanting Adams. The Jets version of him was an absolute difference-maker, and I expressed wanting to acquire him when he was rumored to be on the block. I remember fans floating absurd trade ideas like a third rounder and some mid player, and I had to tell them "no, it would cost considerably more than that", but even I was in a state of shock when I saw the actual compensation. I at least thought he'd be good, even if he did cost a haul. Nope, absolute trash from the second he stepped on the field, and I was wrong when I suggested that his character issues were overblown.

We were straight bamboozled. I hope someday we hear who we were bidding against. I suspect ourselves. The Jets became to us what we became to the Broncos.