The Buck Stops With Pete

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete's like--
" You can do whatever you want. Just make sure whatever that is, it adheres to my philosophy. Also, you're inheriting 70% of the existing playbook. Go get 'em!"
This I think is a fairly accurate description of what goes on. People will instantly try to convince themselves this isn’t true but think of the alternative. Does anyone really believe Pete is super hands off with a green OC during his last years as a coach?

Fade

Reaction score
This I think is a fairly accurate description of what goes on. People will instantly try to convince themselves this isn’t true but think of the alternative. Does anyone really believe Pete is super hands off with a green OC during his last years as a coach?

Waldron came from the Rams.

The Rams are an outside zone running team, that runs playaction boot off of it, with floodzone concepts over the middle to the slot receiver and TE. They look nothing like this.

Instead, they are running up the gut, ignore the middle of the field, throw deep outside the numbers.

It's not hard to figure out the problem here.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This is spot on and it’s probably why they went out and got a rookie OC as it’s someone who will work under Pete and not an experienced guy because that soured quickly with Schott

Ozzy

Reaction score

The Rams are an outside zone running team, that runs playaction boot off of it, with floodzone concepts over the middle to the slot receiver and TE. They look nothing like this.

Instead, they are running up the gut, ignore the middle of the field, throw deep outside the numbers.

This is the best post explaining what’s going on and yet people will twist themselves in crazy mental gymnastics to blame Waldron, Russ, Ciara or whoever. Our offense adopted some wrinkles from the Rams but Waldron is running a Pete offense and Pete has talked for years about what he wants, run down their throats, big explosive plays off of the running game etc

hoxrox

Reaction score
This is the best post explaining what’s going on and yet people will twist themselves in crazy mental gymnastics to blame Waldron, Russ, Ciara or whoever. Our offense adopted some wrinkles from the Rams but Waldron is running a Pete offense and Pete has talked for years about what he wants, run down their throats, big explosive plays off of the running game etc
Schematically some of it may be the same - all playbooks have these plays in them...

But do you really think Pete wants a pass happy offense? Which is what it has been this year. No balance whatsoever.

Pete literally called out the playcalling in last week's presser.

The primary issue is that it's not getting through to Waldron.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Schematically some of it may be the same - all playbooks have these plays in them...

But do you really think Pete wants a pass happy offense? Which is what it has been this year. No balance whatsoever.

Pete literally called out the playcalling in last week's presser.

The primary issue is that it's not getting through to Waldron.
He wants more balance but when you can’t love the ball and you face third and longs all game you can’t run. I don’t think he solely blamed the play calling and saw it differently. Pete has a headset on. He doesn’t just sit there while pass after pass is called in anger. And if he does then you should want him gone yesterday because a 40 year coach is powerless against a second year OC. That doesn’t seem likely either.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Were it truly up to Pete, he would have John Harbaugh's offense right now. Ground and pound, and not this pass-happy stuff. That's always been his identity.

Ie, the offense he had when he had a run game and dual threat QB.

He doesn't have the personnel for that though, therefore the offense has no identity.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Were it truly up to Pete, he would have John Harbaugh's offense right now. Ground and pound, and not this pass-happy stuff. That's always been his identity.

Ie, the offense he had when he had a run game and dual threat QB.

He doesn't have the personnel for that though, therefore the offense has no identity.
How much of the high pass % has been due to playing from behind?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think he can turn them around and win one, yes. I think he's capable of it.

Yeah, we are worlds apart in our opinions. The only way it can happen with Pete is if he has superior talent everywhere. I'm talking QB, RB's, WR's, Dline, LB's, and secondary. It's the only way it can happen, because he sure as hell isn't going to out scheme and out game plan the opposing coaches.

The elephant in the room here is that Pete doesn't have time at this point in his life to acquire an all-star team like he had in 2013-2014 so it's all a moot point.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Do you remember Waldron's first game here against the Colts? The offense did look like that and it was a wonderful thing to watch. The very next game it was gone and to never be seen again. I wonder why? Fans at the time blamed it on Wilson's limitations, but here we are.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Do you remember Waldron's first game here against the Colts? The offense did look like that and it was a wonderful thing to watch. The very next game it was gone and to never be seen again. I wonder why?
I remember feeling very optimistic and hopeful about Waldron from that moment, it was so refreshing to see what he was dialing up. Now the play calling feels bland and confusing

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I remember feeling very optimistic and hopeful about Waldron from that moment, it was so refreshing to see what he was dialing up. Now the play calling feels bland and confusing

It feels like it does every season. Anybody should be able to do that math.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I have to word this one carefully.

I think he can turn them around and win one, yes. I think he's capable of it.

But he needs to whip his goddamn nuts out. He does not have the time to fart around, business as usual, and try to develop and protect his staff. He needs to wipe the slate, nail the replacement hires after wiping that slate, and not accept embarrassing defeats. There is no time for "we'll get back to work." This is a state of emergency that requires autocracy, and he needs to brutalize this organization as it exists currently.

He's responded to staleness before. 2017 fell apart, and he fired basically the entire damn staff. In 2018, we rallied behind an identity and it worked, despite vastly inferior talent to what this roster has now. If we can do that again, with the head start we have after a few solid drafts in a row and some budding stars, then yes. He can win another championship. Not for sure, but there'd be a real shot in that case.

So my answer is that, sure. It can happen. But he's gotta do some generally out-of-character stuff.
I think you're kidding yourself. Pete is 72 years old you actually think he will completely change magically?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think you're kidding yourself. Pete is 72 years old you actually think he will completely change magically?
Sigh.

No, I don't think he'll "completely change magically."

Teams go on runs. Teams with coaches who get the same exact complaints with Pete. Hate to beat this dead horse, but the Ravens are on one now, and they've had the same exact lack of playoff success since 2012 and a very similar (might be even worse) overall record in that span, with the same coach who gets the same exact criticisms as Pete.

I don't have any delusional thoughts about sudden hard ceilings that exist, on any team in football. If a coach is good enough to consistently keep a team above .500, they're good enough to go on a run under the right conditions. Ask the Coughlin Giants. You guys would've hated him, every year. And then they'd go on a run.

EDIT: I'll add that this shouldn't be a controversial take. It's just a basic, rational truth.

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The team was not ready to play. That is on Pete. If you can't get your guys ready to play a hated Division rival, at home, in primetime, on Thanksgiving night, then you have a serious problem.

morgulon1

Reaction score

Pete snoopy Dogg

The retarded gum chewing dildo.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
The team was not ready to play. That is on Pete. If you can't get your guys ready to play a hated Division rival, at home, in primetime, on Thanksgiving night, then you have a serious problem.
And we see this same exact thing multiple times per year for the last decade. But this is a whole different level. This team has been embarrassed 3 of the past 4 weeks.

It's getting worse and there is no evidence that it is going to get better.

I'm not calling for PC to be gone because of a few bad games.

He needs to go because he's proven it's never going to get better.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sigh.

No, I don't think he'll "completely change magically."

Teams go on runs. Teams with coaches who get the same exact complaints with Pete. Hate to beat this dead horse, but the Ravens are on one now, and they've had the same exact lack of playoff success since 2012 and a very similar (might be even worse) overall record in that span, with the same coach who gets the same exact criticisms as Pete.

I don't have any delusional thoughts about sudden hard ceilings that exist, on any team in football. If a coach is good enough to consistently keep a team above .500, they're good enough to go on a run under the right conditions. Ask the Coughlin Giants. You guys would've hated him, every year. And then they'd go on a run.

EDIT: I'll add that this shouldn't be a controversial take. It's just a basic, rational truth.
How much longer does a 72 year old coach have to go on one of these runs? How many more times are we going to blow up the coaching staff to get similar results? How many more guys who are barely qualified for their jobs are we going to hire?

There is only one person that has the ability to fix what is going on and he's shrugging his shoulders and going gee golly folks I don't know what is happening. These same offensive problems by the way have been an issue for years now. Long developing routes going up the sidelines isn't something unique to Shane Waldron.

There is some degree of truth to what you're saying, but you also have to concede that guys like Coughlin are a rare edge cases.

The Hawks are not playing up to their talent level and it's time that Carroll answers for that. It's time the his seat get at least a little toasty.

Once again, Carroll is 72 -- I think it's time we start looking out for the future instead of clinging to a Super Bowl win we had 10 years ago.