Pete Carroll's Impassioned Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is going to affect football this year. Totally OK with that.

Not sure how this is 'political' to say that there are issues affecting black athletes and black non-athletes that people should be aware of. Then again, to some wearing a mask during a pandemic is 'political' so I give up.

What I do know is this matters in a league where a large % of the athletes are black. It is probable to reason that they have family members and friends that are black, so many of these issues affect them directly. Is that political? If it is, my apologies, let's get back to how this affects the Seahawks directly.

Russell Wilson was one pointing out how it affects his family. And he stated that if the games were on now, he would sit out. So....when another event is captured later in the year, and the athletes are livid - it is pretty reasonable to project he will sit out at least 1 game, maybe more.

It is also pretty reasonable to project there will be another similar incident sometime between now and January.

Something will get captured on camera, go on YouTube and be another flashpoint. And like the NBA athletes did, some of the better known / visible black athletes will sit out. Wilson is almost certainly going then, and Pete clearly will support him.

This speech is important also because it lets Wilson know that if that issue arises, his coach will have his back.

A-Dog

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":23wjvn7g said:
TreeRon":23wjvn7g said:
JayhawkMike":23wjvn7g said:
Politics board? It goes there if we discuss it.

Is fighting racism politics?

Yes, because there is not a global consensus on what people are calling racism these days.

Yes there is.

Mick063

Reaction score
We Seahawk fans have a unique perspective of Colin Kaepernick. A bonafide rival we used to love to hate.

In retrospect, the NFL was wrong about him. And so was I.

Respect for the man whose conviction prevailed in the end.

This is all very simple. Stop killing unarmed black men behind a shield of qualified immunity. See? The solution can be described in one simple sentence.

A-Dog

Reaction score
12thmanNY":2sndlup2 said:
jammerhawk":2sndlup2 said:
Pete is great leader, who sees the world as it is. Things have to change.

Awesome remarks from him! Makes me glad he is the HC here.
Exactly. All white people need to check their privilege. Give all your possessions to a POC and their families. You will be able to earn it back. Also start giving money to POC as a tax. Then maybe things will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think maybe we should just start with not shooting black men who have not committed a crime in the back in front of their kids.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
A-Dog":1xx3ntso said:
SmokinHawk":1xx3ntso said:
TreeRon":1xx3ntso said:
JayhawkMike":1xx3ntso said:
Politics board? It goes there if we discuss it.

Yes, because there is not a global consensus on what people are calling racism these days.

Yes there is.

Been to any black neighborhoods lately? Statistics are not racist so why pretend otherwise?

Letsgo425

Reaction score
A-Dog":16yjz56z said:
12thmanNY":16yjz56z said:
jammerhawk":16yjz56z said:

Exactly. All white people need to check their privilege. Give all your possessions to a POC and their families. You will be able to earn it back. Also start giving money to POC as a tax. Then maybe things will change.

I think maybe we should just start with not shooting black men who have not committed a crime in the back in front of their kids.

He disobeyed multiple lawful orders after being tackled and tased with NO EFFECT and proceeded to go to his vehicle, which at the time nobody knew if he had any guns or weapons inside. According to reports, he was the sole reason why the cops were there in the first place after he took the keys of the woman's residence with AN ACTIVE WARRANT FOR HIS ARREST FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT, TRESPASSING, AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT IN CONNECTION WITH DOMESTIC ABUSE. Was he going to his car to grab a bible to preach to the cops? Unlikely. Let's not pretend as if he was comparable to Mother Theresa. Granted, I'll admit he shouldn't have been shot 7 times but when you're in a position where you feel like it's kill or be killed (considering you DON'T KNOW what he has in his car at the time that he's SO eager to go to), you will never understand. Ever.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Letsgo425":28kpboee said:
when you're in a position where you feel like it's kill or be killed

And therein lies the problem.

Imagine if every time you had an encounter with a cop they were watching you as if you might kill them and they need to be ready to kill you first. Imagine how terrifying that must feel.

A-Dog

Reaction score
sprhawk73":nfzp19dn said:
A-Dog":nfzp19dn said:
SmokinHawk":nfzp19dn said:
TreeRon":nfzp19dn said:

Yes there is.

Been to any black neighborhoods lately? Statistics are not racist so why pretend otherwise?

I'm not sure what your point is here, can you elaborate?

Letsgo425

Reaction score
A-Dog":3uiu195l said:
Letsgo425":3uiu195l said:

Imagine if every time you had an encounter with a cop they were watching you as if you might kill them and they need to be ready to kill you first. Imagine how terrifying that must feel.

I've been pulled over multiple times in my life, and every single time I have never given them a reason to fear for their life or doubt my intentions. I don't carry any knives or guns on me and I make that very clear, as well as keeping my hands in plain sight to them during the whole encounter. It's literally as simple as this.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Letsgo425":2h1enhup said:
A-Dog":2h1enhup said:
Letsgo425":2h1enhup said:

I've been pulled over multiple times in my life, and every single time I have never given them a reason to fear for their life or doubt my intentions. I don't carry any knives or guns on me and I make that very clear, as well as keeping my hands in plain sight to them during the whole encounter. It's literally as simple as this.

I think you're missing the point.

If you're black, your intentions are already in doubt, just by the fact that you're black.

If you really think it's "as simple as that" you haven't been paying intention.

Also, your own personal experience doesn't prove anything. But good job on getting pulled over by police multiple times without getting killed.

Letsgo425

Reaction score
A-Dog":11ipbih1 said:
Letsgo425":11ipbih1 said:
A-Dog":11ipbih1 said:
Letsgo425":11ipbih1 said:

If you're black, your intentions are already in doubt, just by the fact that you're black.

Also, your own personal experience doesn't prove anything. But good job on getting pulled over by police multiple times without getting killed.

I didn't miss the point, you're just hearing what you want to hear. Do you think he would've been shot if he didn't resist arrest with an active warrant and go to his car for whatever purpose after a 911 call being related to his domestic incident? Ask yourself that question. Literally it's that simple but go ahead with YOUR point.

Also thanks for the good job for ya know, obeying the law and not giving cops a reason to shoot me.

How dumb do you have to be to NOT FOLLOW SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS. "I choose NOT to listen to you. WHY ARE YOU BEING AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS ME?! POLICE BRUTALITY!!!!!"

rcaido

Reaction score
Letsgo425":283ublb5 said:
A-Dog":283ublb5 said:
Letsgo425":283ublb5 said:
A-Dog":283ublb5 said:

I didn't miss the point, you're just hearing what you want to hear. Do you think he would've been shot if he didn't resist arrest with an active warrant and go to his car for whatever purpose after a 911 call being related to his domestic incident? Ask yourself that question. Literally it's that simple but go ahead with YOUR point.

Also thanks for the good job for ya know, obeying the law and not giving cops a reason to shoot me.

How dumb do you have to be to NOT FOLLOW SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS. "I choose NOT to listen to you. WHY ARE YOU BEING AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS ME?! POLICE BRUTALITY!!!!!"

It just seems wreckless for a cop to shoot someone, especially if there are kids in the car. If a criminal is running away, you dont shoot them in the back.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Letsgo425":2yvxbn2x said:
A-Dog":2yvxbn2x said:
12thmanNY":2yvxbn2x said:
jammerhawk":2yvxbn2x said:

He disobeyed multiple lawful orders after being tackled and tased with NO EFFECT and proceeded to go to his vehicle, which at the time nobody knew if he had any guns or weapons inside. According to reports, he was the sole reason why the cops were there in the first place after he took the keys of the woman's residence with AN ACTIVE WARRANT FOR HIS ARREST FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT, TRESPASSING, AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT IN CONNECTION WITH DOMESTIC ABUSE. Was he going to his car to grab a bible to preach to the cops? Unlikely. Let's not pretend as if he was comparable to Mother Theresa. Granted, I'll admit he shouldn't have been shot 7 times but when you're in a position where you feel like it's kill or be killed (considering you DON'T KNOW what he has in his car at the time that he's SO eager to go to), you will never understand. Ever.

He was shot 7 times in the back for misdemeanors, and if guilty for all of them I understand it would have been 90 days.
Nobody is arguing he was Mother Teresa.
When were the police in a kill or be killed position? The police say they saw a knife on the floor of the car. No one has mentioned what kind of knife. Even if it was a bowie, had the police backed off and them being armed, there's little opportunity for him to use the knife without THEN being shot.

TreeRon

Reaction score
" If a criminal is running away, you dont shoot them in the back."
Small point as he hadn't been tried IN COURT he was a suspect not a criminal.

TreeRon

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":eajeth8b said:
Let's try to keep this about what Pete was saying. Let's not too sidetracked here.

I think we are and what we are also seeing/hearing/reading is that some people don't believe it and think it's all a load of "liberal" crap (in so many words). Which is also what he implied might happen.

A-Dog

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":apxz891m said:
Let's try to keep this about what Pete was saying. Let's not too sidetracked here.
So my post about black people being treated differently than white people, which I’m pretty sure is what Pete was talking about, gets deleted, while some other guys post conflating Pete’s words with reparations or whatever he was rambling about in regards to white privilege stays? Interesting.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The video was not appropriate for the main forum. Post it in the less restrictive political forum if you want.

A-Dog

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":r07i389m said:
The video was not appropriate for the main forum. Post it in the less restrictive political forum if you want.

Fair enough. Appreciate the explanation. What you said originally implied that it wasn't related to what Pete was talking about, which I felt it was, especially relative to what others had posted in this thread. So, initially, to me, it felt like deleting my post was the opposite of the kind of action Pete is advocating for. It felt like one side of the discussion was being censored while the other was not. If it was about the video being inappropriate (because of the man cursing, I assume?) then I can abide by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.