Pete Carroll says Tre Flowers to start right side... kinda

toffee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":13als1ox said:
Jville":13als1ox said:
Sports Hernia":13als1ox said:
ArlosSpecial":13als1ox said:
Flowers ain’t bad at all. He excels against the run and let’s face it not even Deion Sanders can cover for more than a few seconds without a pass rush. He’s lanky and athletic with decent ball skills. Witherspoon on the other hand has me more nervous. Hoping Reed is ready to play week 1. At the end of the day your coverage is 90% contingent on a proficient pass rush. Now that we have that I think we’ll see Flowers become the playmaker on D that Pete has envisioned
He doesn’t have decent ball skills though. He doesn’t even get his head turned to play the ball. That’s a basic DB skill he fails to do on an almost every play basis.

I don't buy into the almost every play. In any case, every game is an audition for the following game. As well as every practice. We'll soon see who gets the start at corner verses the Colts.
Problem is what he “supposedly” does in practice doesn’t translate into games, when it counts.
So either he is turning his head to play the ball in practice, or the coaching staff is over looking it.
Blindly throwing your hands up and not seeing the ball isn’t what I’d call good or even decent coverage. YMMV.
If we noticed the head turning issue, quite sure the coaches knew that too. Why's he still not turning?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Elemas

Reaction score
Maybe this is a play by Pete to make the new additions work harder….

Until we actually see Flowers starting. FML. I was a supporter at first but, there’s some serious deficiencies with this man at CB.

chris98251

Reaction score
He makes his turns late, he is not used to reading a WR going with him, he is used to facing the Offense and reading a QB like a safety. He is playing catch up most times and not going stride for stride which makes it harder for him to read a WR, subtle things that add up all at once. He makes his best plays when he can see in front and back peddle and break on a play.

Fade

Reaction score
Remember when Jameis Winston threw Flowers the ball in the endzone. I mean right to him. He couldn't catch it, tipped it up into the air, and gave up the TD. He then did a similar thing last year against Dallas. At one point last year, he was surrendering the 2nd highest yards per target in NFL history. He is one of the worst CBs in coverage all-time. That is not an opinion, but a statistical fact. He is pretty good on special teams and a solid tackler, but he should not be starting.

Play Blair out there if you have to, and Ugo at nickel. Witherspoon, another overpaid JAG, this team never learns.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
I still remember Witherspoon getting booed off the field by 49er fans in their playoff game against the Vikings lol
At any rate I’ve seen too many times when players change teams it gives them new life and in many cases a fruitful career. Let’s hope Spoon can be that guy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":1ighyp8e said:
Remember when Jameis Winston threw Flowers the ball in the endzone. I mean right to him. He couldn't catch it, tipped it up into the air, and gave up the TD. He then did a similar thing last year against Dallas. At one point last year, he was surrendering the 2nd highest yards per target in NFL history. He is one of the worst CBs in coverage all-time. That is not an opinion, but a statistical fact. He is pretty good on special teams and a solid tackler, but he should not be starting.

Play Blair out there if you have to, and Ugo at nickel. Witherspoon, another overpaid JAG, this team never learns.

I'd like to think we've learned by drafting Tre Brown, who seems to be the real deal.

But also could be another mid to late round corner nothing burger. Highest pick we ever used on a CB was Griffin, and even he didn't play well enough to be worthy of a 2nd contract.

We'll see how this shakes out, but the CB situation has all the makings of being the glaring Achilles Heal of this team, with good to elite QB after QB inside and outside our division on our schedule who will torch these guys.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2h6dkbz1 said:
I don't know how anyone can take Flowers being named as the opening game starter as anything other than a GIGANTIC RED FLAG AT CB.

We go out and give Witherspoon 4M guaranteed because we assume the Flowers experiment is over, and now there's 4M on the bench and a new CB coming in almost daily to "compete." Then we bring in Jones because we assume it means Flowers is getting cut so we can save 2M on the cap. Nope.

Compete? Competing is for May, June and July..........not September 2nd. September 2nd is for when you're supremely confident in your opening day cornerbacks.

Now Pete's still shuffling guys around and bringing in new CB's? Man, this position is a dumpster fire and is making me nervous as hell. We're in the NFC West, we have NO TIME to take 4-5 games to figure out who our starting CB's are. If we even have starting CB's.

Which IMO this move signals we really don't.

With you 100%. I’m so tired of Pete and these decisions… and Pete in general as I’ve stated. I think we’re staring 10-7 in the face. But, let’s play music and share Pom poms. Tre Flowers? Really….

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Fade":1mrnydw9 said:

Here is a statistical fact...flowers doesnt give up scores. Yards dont matter if they dont put points on the board.
Anyway...i wish he would learn to play the ball better and that somebody would force him to play press everyplay instead of 10 yards off.

Also, playing the right side might show a difference in flowers. Typically the hawks have a man in press and one plays off. Not counting nickel coverages. Or they both play off. Flowers might see more press this year if he really does play the right side so reed can play left.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":17yy6dva said:
Sports Hernia":17yy6dva said:
Jville":17yy6dva said:
Sports Hernia":17yy6dva said:
He doesn’t have decent ball skills though. He doesn’t even get his head turned to play the ball. That’s a basic DB skill he fails to do on an almost every play basis.

I don't buy into the almost every play. In any case, every game is an audition for the following game. As well as every practice. We'll soon see who gets the start at corner verses the Colts.
Problem is what he “supposedly” does in practice doesn’t translate into games, when it counts.
So either he is turning his head to play the ball in practice, or the coaching staff is over looking it.
Blindly throwing your hands up and not seeing the ball isn’t what I’d call good or even decent coverage. YMMV.

Sorry :229031_shrug: ..... the Seahawks haven't made me privy to their practices. So I can neither confirm or refute such conjecture.
Fair enough, but Flowers is obviously an issue or they wouldn’t be trading for Sidney Jones IV and bringing others in.
It wouldn’t be the first time Pete “talked up” an underachieving play to try and boost confidence.

Hoping Jones IV replaces him as the starter and this is all a moot point.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Looks like our rookie corner will be out for some time. Crazy how many early round picks end up hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkinNY":3skihcs0 said:
Looks like our rookie corner will be out for some time. Crazy how many early round picks end up hurt.

Yeah that sucks, almost expected though at this point.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HawkinNY":763h4mey said:

Hardly a high pick. Firmly mid-round.

Latest posts