Pete Carroll says Tre Flowers to start right side... kinda

massari

Reaction score
Super Bowl

At least we got Jamal Adams.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I take issue with Carroll spelling his name two different ways.

I take issues with Flowers on the field

I'm bummed

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":21ergov6 said:
Jacob Eason gonna have an all pro day just throwing at the right side

Stupid stupid stupid!

Starting Flowers would be mind numbingly dumb.
If I was an opposing OC I’d target his man 20 times a game.
That’s all you’d have to do, as he’ll be open all game.

The only saving grace if it’s Eason that starts is he has no pocket awareness, and has no touch on his passes, it’s the 99mph fastball or no accuracy.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ni7vfhv said:
Throwdown":1ni7vfhv said:

Stupid stupid stupid!

The only saving grace if it’s Eason that starts is he has no pocket awareness, and has no touch on his passes, it’s the 99mph fastball or no accuracy.

Wouldn't be an issue if Ahkello showed anything in these reps that warranted him starting over the more familiar Flowers. They're obviously bringing in guys to push for his role, though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1mm5aqtr said:
Sports Hernia":1mm5aqtr said:
Throwdown":1mm5aqtr said:

Stupid stupid stupid!

Wouldn't be an issue if Ahkello showed anything in these reps that warranted him starting over the more familiar Flowers. They're obviously bringing in guys to push for his role, though.
I’d rather have Ahkello. At least it would be someone different making mistakes in games.

Flowers might be a good practice player (which is the narrative being pushed) but even if he is, it’s not translating into games when it counts.

Jones better replace Flowers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can take Flowers being named as the opening game starter as anything other than a GIGANTIC RED FLAG AT CB.

We go out and give Witherspoon 4M guaranteed because we assume the Flowers experiment is over, and now there's 4M on the bench and a new CB coming in almost daily to "compete." Then we bring in Jones because we assume it means Flowers is getting cut so we can save 2M on the cap. Nope.

Compete? Competing is for May, June and July..........not September 2nd. September 2nd is for when you're supremely confident in your opening day cornerbacks.

Now Pete's still shuffling guys around and bringing in new CB's? Man, this position is a dumpster fire and is making me nervous as hell. We're in the NFC West, we have NO TIME to take 4-5 games to figure out who our starting CB's are. If we even have starting CB's.

Which IMO this move signals we really don't.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Pete apparently enjoys the thrill of opposing QBs making long completions against his own team. Or maybe Flowers will surprise us this season and realize what necks are for: swiveling one's head.

Jville

Reaction score
Ya place your bets and takes your chances.

With a 17 game schedule, September is for verifying and finishing out construction of a team thru the necessary reality and lessons learned from real game competition.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2m8abuda said:
I don't know how anyone can take Flowers being named as the opening game starter as anything other than a GIGANTIC RED FLAG AT CB.

We go out and give Witherspoon 4M guaranteed because we assume the Flowers experiment is over, and now there's 4M on the bench and a new CB coming in almost daily to "compete." Then we bring in Jones because we assume it means Flowers is getting cut so we can save 2M on the cap. Nope.

Compete? Competing is for May, June and July..........not September 2nd. September 2nd is for when you're supremely confident in your opening day cornerbacks.

Now Pete's still shuffling guys around and bringing in new CB's? Man, this position is a dumpster fire and is making me nervous as hell. We're in the NFC West, we have NO TIME to take 4-5 games to figure out who our starting CB's are. If we even have starting CB's.

Which IMO this move signals we really don't.

I concur! At this point, we are hoping for a miracle that either Flowers or one of our CBs suddenly turn the corner. On the other hand, we can also hope that our pass rush continue how it was post signing of Carlos, a good pass rush always make CBs look good. That said, Flowers still need to turn his head to take advantage of a bad pass due to QB being pressured.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Flowers ain’t bad at all. He excels against the run and let’s face it not even Deion Sanders can cover for more than a few seconds without a pass rush. He’s lanky and athletic with decent ball skills. Witherspoon on the other hand has me more nervous. Hoping Reed is ready to play week 1. At the end of the day your coverage is 90% contingent on a proficient pass rush. Now that we have that I think we’ll see Flowers become the playmaker on D that Pete has envisioned

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":26orjo3t said:
Flowers ain’t bad at all. He excels against the run and let’s face it not even Deion Sanders can cover for more than a few seconds without a pass rush. He’s lanky and athletic with decent ball skills. Witherspoon on the other hand has me more nervous. Hoping Reed is ready to play week 1. At the end of the day your coverage is 90% contingent on a proficient pass rush. Now that we have that I think we’ll see Flowers become the playmaker on D that Pete has envisioned

Pass rush is certainly an important part of this equation, but NO ONE who watched Flowers last year should be confident with him as our starting CB. He was the 60th ranked CB last year, that's almost dead last.

That includes his own coach who can talk up Flowers all he wants, but the fact that they keep bringing in CB's on a weekly basis and in the off season (Dunbar and Witherspoon) says Carroll's just as nervous as the rest of us.

AgentDib

Reaction score
CB is the obvious weak spot on our team so it isn't surprising that they are still competing at the position and juggling people around. What else is the coaching staff supposed to do to address a weak area? Hire clowns and pony rides for the secondary in an attempt at building morale?

The fact that we have at least one weakness on this team is just how the NFL works. You can't be good everywhere outside of having all-time great drafts and those aren't sustainable. CB is likely Pete's least favorite area to have as a weakness, so you should expect to see more moves and shuffling than normal there until that isn't the case.

Ruminator":2icose1g said:
Pete apparently enjoys the thrill of opposing QBs making long completions against his own team. Or maybe Flowers will surprise us this season and realize what necks are for: swiveling one's head.
If he turned his head but was out of position would that be better? Either a completion is allowed or it isn't, and this fixation on whether Flowers turning his head is silly. Many athletes are coached to look at the receiver's hands, and Flowers size and length makes that a decent strategy if he sucks at locating the ball in the air.

Jville

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":2bvuwybr said:

Excellent points. Thanks for posting.

Welcome aboard :2thumbs:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Flowers is better than the 60th ranked CB. I would agree that he has not had the benefit of a good pass rush for most of his starts and also our Safety's have been a bit of a mess too.

I seems like so many of those long completions on him that he was right there, even getting his hands up and the WR barely pulled it off, I have to think there will be a time where a few more of those don't fall to the WR's advantage, just a little more pressure from the DL and the accuracy rate may not be there. The short completions I think are something that will never really get resolved. Try will make the tackle but allow that 5 yard completion over and over unless KNJ or Pete deceiced to let him jam his receivers more and risk getting burnt deep. He has been a project but I still have seen him show he is pretty darn athletic and can keep pace with some bigger and faster WR's. I am rooting for Sidney Jones to take his spot.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":dumaxcjv said:
He doesn’t have decent ball skills though. He doesn’t even get his head turned to play the ball. That’s a basic DB skill he fails to do on an almost every play basis.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":b2k4rh7w said:
ArlosSpecial":b2k4rh7w said:
He doesn’t have decent ball skills though. He doesn’t even get his head turned to play the ball. That’s a basic DB skill he fails to do on an almost every play basis.

I don't buy into the almost every play. In any case, every game is an audition for the following game. As well as every practice. We'll soon see who gets the start at corner verses the Colts.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":nz2gz8qw said:
Sports Hernia":nz2gz8qw said:
ArlosSpecial":nz2gz8qw said:

I don't buy into the almost every play. In any case, every game is an audition for the following game. As well as every practice. We'll soon see who gets the start at corner verses the Colts.
Problem is what he “supposedly” does in practice doesn’t translate into games, when it counts.
So either he is turning his head to play the ball in practice, or the coaching staff is over looking it.
Blindly throwing your hands up and not seeing the ball isn’t what I’d call good or even decent coverage. YMMV.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1toun08v said:
Jville":1toun08v said:
Sports Hernia":1toun08v said:
ArlosSpecial":1toun08v said:

Problem is what he “supposedly” does in practice doesn’t translate into games, when it counts.
So either he is turning his head to play the ball in practice, or the coaching staff is over looking it.
Blindly throwing your hands up and not seeing the ball isn’t what I’d call good or even decent coverage. YMMV.

Sorry :229031_shrug: ..... the Seahawks haven't made me privy to their practices. So I can neither confirm or refute such conjecture.