Pete Carroll - Did He Mentally Break Matt Flynn?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Popeyejones":naasacx5 said:
If Pete or anyone else thought Wilson had second round value, they would have taken him in the second round.

They almost did. They decided against it at the last second because they thought the rest of the NFL would be dumb enough to let him hang around until #75.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think Flynn, just like many folks figured Pete was just paying lip service to the whole compete idea. It most likely wasn't until Pete announced the 3-way battle that Matt started to see the madness that is Pete Carroll. When he signed it was just Tarvaris and Josh, so most likely figured it was a no-brainer that he was going to be the starter.

I always got the impression things got awkward during TC as the competition drew out. I wonder if the whole "Teacher's Pet" thing that Hugh spouted didn't start with a frustrated Matt Flynn? Just my tin-foil hat on. I was a fan that wanted Flynn to win the starting position because I was leery of starting a rookie QB. Once the decision was made, as a company man, I wanted it to succeed.

Glad something good came out of the change. Did Flynn's experience here screw up his confidence or is the Raiders current configuration not conducive to what he needs to succeed? Don't know.

If he cannot find a nice backup role somewhere, at least he got compensated for missing out on an opportunity to start somewhere.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Why you shouldn't feel sorry for Matt Flynn:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97888 ... a-loophole

Oakland paid Flynn more than $6.5 million this season and released him after one losing start. So this season, Flynn will make nearly $2 million more than Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill, Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden and Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson -- combined!

Matt Flynn is going to get paid more for that one crappy Redskins game than Wilson, RG3, Luck, Tannehill, & Weeden will get paid COMBINED for 5 seasons worth of games this year. And Flynn will be able to get paid even more by whatever team wants him as a backup and to hold a clipboard.

And the dude is married to a former Ms Louisiana!!

If I hear one more person ever say the phrase "poor Matt Flynn"...

Hamhawk

Reaction score
I think Flynn is probably done with football,...he's turned a mediocre college and pro career into millions of dollars, and got a beautiful wife as well,...we should all be so fortunate

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Matt Flynn is still a topic? His ability was always questionable. He will still play, but in preseason games as a 2nd or 3rd stringer doing what he does best, pouting on the bench.