Will Pete win COTY

• Yes

Votes: 52 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 59.4%

• Total voters

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Unless the Chiefs lose a bunch of games down the stretch, it's Reid's award to lose.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2wz5pffi said:
Seems like certain coaches get a lot of credit for taking over rosters loaded with 1st round talent and looking good because the last coach was so incompetent.

Amazingly, Alex Smith was involved both times!

So next year it could be Atlanta's Smith coach of the year if he turns his team around? Just curious.

seahawks08

Reaction score
My vote is for Pete. Everything he has done shows in not just the wins but how the team is together and the philosophy he has installed. There is no way any other coach is deserving than Pete is for turning around this team the way he did. Every aspect to build a complete team was a blue print he and John installed from the get go and they are seeing the results. Making difficult decisions, giving RW a chance and sticking with him is not something Andy Reid would have done. If Andy Reid was here, he would gone with a more tried and tested QB option like Matt Flynn in my opinion. Coach of the year should go to some one who had the guts to build the team under his philosophy, get everyone to believe in it and make it work. Pete and John had the toughest job to do, and they have been so far delivery right on the money.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The Seahawks were a consensus top 2 team in everyone's pre-season NFL power rankings, and an odds-on Super Bowl favorite. You don't win COY for winning with a team that was expected to be great. You win it by doing more with less; by taking a team to a level of success that no one saw coming that season, just as Bruce Arians did with Indy last season. Pete doesn't have a chance in hell of winning COY, nor should he. Andy Reid already has this one locked up, no matter how the Chiefs finish the season. No team in the history of the major U.S. pro team sports has ever finished with the worst record in their league and then won their first 9 games the following season....which is even more incredible in the NFL given that 9 games is over half the season.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
seahawks08":13quojg8 said:
My vote is for Pete. Everything he has done shows in not just the wins but how the team is together and the philosophy he has installed. There is no way any other coach is deserving than Pete is for turning around this team the way he did. Every aspect to build a complete team was a blue print he and John installed from the get go and they are seeing the results. Making difficult decisions, giving RW a chance and sticking with him is not something Andy Reid would have done. If Andy Reid was here, he would gone with a more tried and tested QB option like Matt Flynn in my opinion. Coach of the year should go to some one who had the guts to build the team under his philosophy, get everyone to believe in it and make it work. Pete and John had the toughest job to do, and they have been so far delivery right on the money.
Umm, Coach of the Year is not a lifetime achievement award.

Reaction score
Ya Reid will probably win it this year. But what Pete has done to this team he deserves to be in the running.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2n5pa1no said:
You don't win COY for winning with a team that was expected to be great. You win it by doing more with less; by taking a team to a level of success that no one saw coming that season

Andy Reid already has this one locked up, no matter how the Chiefs finish the season. No team in the history of the major U.S. pro team sports has ever finished with the worst record in their league and then won their first 9 games the following season....which is even more incredible in the NFL given that 9 games is over half the season.

0 wins over winning teams. A roster full of pro-bowlers and high 1st round picks.

Context is key. You don't have to buy into the cliche sports narratives.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Andy Reid will win it because the hive mind is at work. Just like the Colts lovefest last year robbed Schneider of a rightful award, so too will Pete get snubbed.

Thus lies the main problem, as kearly posted about Wilson last year: the voting is before the playoffs. If Reid manages a #1 seed and his team blows it, but Carroll wins the Super Bowl then who was really the CotY? And even then, it won't matter, because Pete will make his mark where it matters most: In the annals of NFL history. He will be a great coach in retrospect except to those who watched.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
CaptBennett":2ebei79q said:
I don't understand how Andy Reid is even in this discussion, they haven't even blown out anybody.

Homerism at its finest. The Chiefs went from #1 pick to undefeated and the coach isnt the discussion of coach of the year? :34853_doh: :roll:

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, my bad

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Andy will probably get it but if you actually look at what the two coaches have actually done it would not be just in my opinion. Reid deserves big props for getting that team to perform to it's ability just like Harbaugh deserved credit for getting the Niners on track but it should be noted what he had to work with and what did he do beyond getting a lot of high draft picks and pro bowlers to play up to their potential and as a team.

It's not like he drafted a DT and turned him into an offensive guard or move a failing DT to DE that made him a very important cog in the defensive scheme or found a third round QB and started him as a rookie over more proven and experienced QB's and all while fielding a team made up mostly of late round draft picks and UDFA's. Consider Kearse, Browner, Sherman, Kamtrack, Breno, McQ, Baldwin, Sweezy, Malcom Smith even Marshawn Lynch was a 4th round draft pick trade and hell we traded Tapp to Philly for a 4th rounder and got them to throw in some scrub named Chris Clemons.

Carroll is doing far more with far less than anyone thought possible. I agree that much of it goes without notice but if you really compare what each coach is doing and what each has to work with I think you say damn, Reid is doing a hell of a job but holy cow, How is Carroll doing what he is considering how quickly he has built this team and how he has built it.

I don't think there should be any question whatsoever as to who is the best FO in football right now considering where this team was 4 years ago and where it is now. What Pete and John have done in under 4 years is unbelievable. Yet for some reason neither has been recognized by the league for it. Really kind of amazing and shameful at the same time.

seahawks08

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":22yjvw9a said:
The Seahawks were a consensus top 2 team in everyone's pre-season NFL power rankings, and an odds-on Super Bowl favorite. You don't win COY for winning with a team that was expected to be great. You win it by doing more with less; by taking a team to a level of success that no one saw coming that season, just as Bruce Arians did with Indy last season. Pete doesn't have a chance in hell of winning COY, nor should he. Andy Reid already has this one locked up, no matter how the Chiefs finish the season. No team in the history of the major U.S. pro team sports has ever finished with the worst record in their league and then won their first 9 games the following season....which is even more incredible in the NFL given that 9 games is over half the season.

The point your missing sir is somebody need to build a winning team, it is not that Pete inherited a winning team and just rode with it. A coach is responsible for every aspect of building and getting a team to win. Winning with all the talent you inherited is commendable but not extra ordinary.

C-Dub

Reaction score
KK84":gn69kjxa said:
Barring a collapse, Reid has this one in the bag. Right next to a ham sandwich.
More like...

Once the Chiefs collapse happens, Pete has this one in the bag. Right next to his chewing gum.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":3c14n69m said:
Yeah, unfortunately I see it going to Reid (who is not undeserving).

Pete's consolation prize will have to be a Lombardi.
Wurd.

slipwax

Reaction score
Reid will probably win it, but I wouldn't trade Pete for anyone

Latest posts