Percy Harvin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson

Basis4day

Reaction score
seesurfers":ka4eaf2a said:
I've been hearing a lot of great stuff about Cordarrelle coming out of Vikings camp. For those of you that don't know him, he is a bigger faster do-it-all wr/rb/pr Percy Harvin type that Minn took with our 1st rounder. A knock against is apparently he body catches and routes aren't overly crisp.

i honestly know nothing more about the kid than what I read and a quick highlight reel. Highlight reel is very impressive, by the way! My question to those that know him is, would we rather have Cordarrelle with his cheaper contract and our draft picks back or Percy Harvin? Now, I'm not hatin Percy. in fact, I love him. And it may have just been worth it to keep him away from San Fran...BUT...Just seems like we could have kept our picks and got a bigger faster version of him with Cordarrell with our 1st. Thoughts?

Derek Stephens rated him as his #1 WR for the Hawks going into the draft. Here is the link to the podcast discussing his pros/cons.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... y-wr-group

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Harvin was in talks for the NFL MVP last season...that's pretty impressive given it's a QB league and AP was doing his thing as well.

I'll take that over the rookie (that seems pretty raw).

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
My first thoughts when i heard about the injury was did it happen while with the Vikings? Is there any chance they can nullify the trade.? However, once he passed the physicial we are off the hook it seems. Even when he is with another team, he somehow creates some anxiety for the Vikings. He seems to have a special gift in this regard.

I am also curious as to how this injury happened. I believe 4 vikings have had this injury in the past and it all involved contact (s.Rice recovered the fastest and Matt Birk the longest at 5 months). Was this injury contact or non-contact?

Also, did the seahawks and Harvin have a pow-wow or did he just make an executive decision on this? It seems i read something by Pete saying the seahawks and harving were going to get all the information and make a decision. Did he just decide and then inform the team?

See, that is the thing with Harvin, it is always something.
Thanks for stopping by Viking! I have also noticed Harvin's willingness to throw his body around, as have many on this board. I sometimes cringe watching his highlights because he is out there seeking contact on his smaller frame.
This was and is always the question with Harvin. Your board should just put up a sticky or pin with this at the top of the board. If you wanted to waste some time and look at some vikings sites, you will see the following questions mentioned with Harvin (Before the trade): Can he really keep this ups with his frame, how long can he play like this, will he hold up through the season, and will his availablity get worse as time goes on. He plays like he is a power back but his frame is that of 160 pound person. You can have delts the size of bowling balls, but your frame stays the same.

He has taken some huge hits over his time with minnesota that are not viewable on u-tube. The very first game of 2012 had him taking a massive shot on a kickoff. He missed some snaps after that. He also has missed series, quarters and halves after taking some shots in 2012 and his previous year. It is not reflected in the stats.

C. Carter, before we traded harvin, made an observation. A WR should avoid contact because availability is the most important attribute of any player. AS much as I enjoyed Harvin's style, I'm moved over to that camp.

Yes, some Vikings fans are dipping into the Schadenfreude pool, so to speak. But other, who respected a player that actually gave 100% every play. are a bit sad (many claim they gave 100% but few actually do). I just feel a sense of relief, not that he is injured, that we are not somehow on the hook for this trade.

The debate should have been restated as this. Harvin+14.5 million vs. the rookie Patterson +2million + draft picks. Obviously a rookie who hasn't played a down will be at a disadvantage vs. a 4 year vet. It is more complicated than originally stated. The contact will probably result in the Seahawks choosing Tate or S.Rice. Because, even though the seahawks are in great shape with the cap, 25-30 million will be alot to pay receivers. Tate probably benifits the most for he will probably see more passes thus increasing the amount he will get for his contract.

Patterson is having a very good camp according to reports. Made a one handed grab on a deep ball and is much farther along than anticipated by the coaching staff. This is going to be an interesting comparison by year. I was sure that Harvin would have the edge in year one and two with Patterson starting to get very close in year 3. However, he may actuall "win" year one. I am going to wach some trainning camp in a couple of days. It will be real curious to see where he is at. Just read a report about his impressive change of direction and explosioin of the line. The debate continues.

iigakusei

Reaction score
TheGrandViking":rg1re93p said:
My first thoughts when i heard about the injury was did it happen while with the Vikings? Is there any chance they can nullify the trade.? However, once he passed the physicial we are off the hook it seems. Even when he is with another team, he somehow creates some anxiety for the Vikings. He seems to have a special gift in this regard.

I am also curious as to how this injury happened. I believe 4 vikings have had this injury in the past and it all involved contact (s.Rice recovered the fastest and Matt Birk the longest at 5 months). Was this injury contact or non-contact?

Also, did the seahawks and Harvin have a pow-wow or did he just make an executive decision on this? It seems i read something by Pete saying the seahawks and harving were going to get all the information and make a decision. Did he just decide and then inform the team?

See, that is the thing with Harvin, it is always something.
Thanks for stopping by Viking! I have also noticed Harvin's willingness to throw his body around, as have many on this board. I sometimes cringe watching his highlights because he is out there seeking contact on his smaller frame.
This was and is always the question with Harvin. Your board should just put up a sticky or pin with this at the top of the board. If you wanted to waste some time and look at some vikings sites, you will see the following questions mentioned with Harvin (Before the trade): Can he really keep this ups with his frame, how long can he play like this, will he hold up through the season, and will his availablity get worse as time goes on. He plays like he is a power back but his frame is that of 160 pound person. You can have delts the size of bowling balls, but your frame stays the same.

He has taken some huge hits over his time with minnesota that are not viewable on u-tube. The very first game of 2012 had him taking a massive shot on a kickoff. He missed some snaps after that. He also has missed series, quarters and halves after taking some shots in 2012 and his previous year. It is not reflected in the stats.

C. Carter, before we traded harvin, made an observation. A WR should avoid contact because availability is the most important attribute of any player. AS much as I enjoyed Harvin's style, I'm moved over to that camp.

Yes, some Vikings fans are dipping into the Schadenfreude pool, so to speak. But other, who respected a player that actually gave 100% every play. are a bit sad (many claim they gave 100% but few actually do). I just feel a sense of relief, not that he is injured, that we are not somehow on the hook for this trade.

The debate should have been restated as this. Harvin+14.5 million vs. the rookie Patterson +2million + draft picks. Obviously a rookie who hasn't played a down will be at a disadvantage vs. a 4 year vet. It is more complicated than originally stated. The contact will probably result in the Seahawks choosing Tate or S.Rice. Because, even though the seahawks are in great shape with the cap, 25-30 million will be alot to pay receivers. Tate probably benifits the most for he will probably see more passes thus increasing the amount he will get for his contract.

Patterson is having a very good camp according to reports. Made a one handed grab on a deep ball and is much farther along than anticipated by the coaching staff. This is going to be an interesting comparison by year. I was sure that Harvin would have the edge in year one and two with Patterson starting to get very close in year 3. However, he may actuall "win" year one. I am going to wach some trainning camp in a couple of days. It will be real curious to see where he is at. Just read a report about his impressive change of direction and explosioin of the line. The debate continues.

I also think you have to look at where the Seahawks are currently at when analyzing this trade. Patterson may be a great receiver in three years time...maybe not. The Seahawks think they can win the Superbowl NOW. The risk of acquiring a player like Harvin was worth the risk. Not many times a player of his ability becomes available, he is a definite game changer. Are there question marks? Or course. But even with this injury the move was a calculated gamble. It doesnt look great right now...but if Harvin comes back and contributes to a Super Bowl win then it was more than worth it.

DericLee

Reaction score
FO thought Harvin was a better '1st round pick' then Patterson.

I'll trust them.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
I also think you have to look at where the Seahawks are currently at when analyzing this trade. Patterson may be a great receiver in three years time...maybe not. The Seahawks think they can win the Superbowl NOW. The risk of acquiring a player like Harvin was worth the risk. Not many times a player of his ability becomes available, he is a definite game changer. Are there question marks? Or course. But even with this injury the move was a calculated gamble. It doesnt look great right now...but if Harvin comes back and contributes to a Super Bowl win then it was more than worth it.
:2:

Here is what i wrote from my first post here:

I think, when you look at both are teams, that this could be a win win situation. The hawks fans feel he might be the final piece for a SB run that begins now and the vikings, despite going 10-6, are replenishing the roster and in a more building mode not a tweeking one.

I am trying to make the case this is more complex than at first blush.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
DericLee":21albb95 said:

I'll trust them.

Actually, your FO is saying 14.5 million and Harvin is better than Patterson and 2 million + .3rd and 7th and possibly losing tate or s.rice after year 1. I just don't think it is slam dunk as you are making it. l

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
TheGrandViking":xpna2dzc said:
DericLee":xpna2dzc said:

I'll trust them.

Actually, your FO is saying 14.5 million and Harvin is better than Patterson and 2 million + .3rd and 7th and possibly losing tate or s.rice after year 1. I just don't think it is slam dunk as you are making it. l

Yo vikes fan...learn your own team bro. Xavier-Rhodes was picked with the Harvin traded 1st.

Regardless I would take the proven talent over a guy thats a project all day, especially when you are a superbowl contender. :th2thumbs:

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1t9iwu3l said:
TheGrandViking":1t9iwu3l said:
DericLee":1t9iwu3l said:

I'll trust them.

Yo vikes fan...learn your own team bro. Xavier-Rhodes was picked with the Harvin traded 1st.

Regardless I would take the proven talent over a guy thats a project all day, especially when you are a superbowl contender. :th2thumbs:

Bro, I am well aware of that fact. Are you aware the original post is really a what if question? Even though the title just is Patterson vs. harvin the question is should the Hawks have draft patterson instead of trading for harvin.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I gotta say....I don't like Patterson. Even with the injury, I'd take Harvin.

IMHO, Patterson will bust in a big way.

I was never a fan of the Harvin deal (gave up to much), but if that player they lost was Patterson, I'd feel much better about the deal.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Ever look at how many receivers flop from the 1st round? It is a huge number ... Harvin Has a track record

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just heard a cut from those idiots Steven A and Bayless both saying we won't make the superbowl because of the loss of Harvin. Awesome, I really like our chances more now.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
All Harvin has proven is his style of football leads to him sitting on the sidelines over and over. Patterson with the salary in mind is a much better decision. Patterson isn't going to do squat with ponder throwing him the ball. I will never understand all the hate on the guy he has great body control and speed. He could stand to catch the ball with his hands more but it wasn't like he was dropping balls in college. Hawks rolled the dice on Harvin and got snake eyes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He missed 3 games his first 3 seasons. He's one of the best in football. Yeah, why did they dare go get a player like that :|

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
DavidSeven":37u1l23h said:
Harvin.

Gruden ripped Patterson apart when he was drafted. JS obviously wasn't impressed with him. Tavon Austin was the only WR that JS was even willing to mention in the same sentence as Harvin. Even if Patterson eventually develops into a player, it won't be for another 2-3 years. Dude is RAW. Seattle is ready to win now. Haven't thought twice about him since the draft.

If both are healthy the it's gotta be Harvin.

Indeed, Patterson is raw and not overly bright from what I've read. There were concerns of him grasping the playbook and route tree.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":2auchjwl said:
DavidSeven":2auchjwl said:
Harvin.

Gruden ripped Patterson apart when he was drafted. JS obviously wasn't impressed with him. Tavon Austin was the only WR that JS was even willing to mention in the same sentence as Harvin. Even if Patterson eventually develops into a player, it won't be for another 2-3 years. Dude is RAW. Seattle is ready to win now. Haven't thought twice about him since the draft.

If both are healthy the it's gotta be Harvin.

Indeed, Patterson is raw and not overly bright from what I've read. There were concerns of him grasping the playbook and route tree.

Harvin and Patterson have a lot in common, espeicially in play style and physical ability. Harvin scored a 12 on the wonderlic and Patterson a 11. The one you got to worry about is tavon austin who scored a 7.

So far, according to reports from OTAs and Training camp, the Vikings are pleasantly surprised on his ability at the receiver position.

CoolRodney

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2if5yl9y said:
Just heard a cut from those idiots Steven A and Bayless both saying we won't make the superbowl because of the loss of Harvin. Awesome, I really like our chances more now.

Those two are idiots, but it's gonna be a lot harder to make the Super Bowl. We brought him here to take us to the next level and he's not gonna play. Still bummed. He's a 1 on a kind talent.

TheGrandViking

Reaction score
Marvin49":3e0ehvec said:
I gotta say....I don't like Patterson. Even with the injury, I'd take Harvin.

IMHO, Patterson will bust in a big way.

I was never a fan of the Harvin deal (gave up to much), but if that player they lost was Patterson, I'd feel much better about the deal.

I think those predicting a bust will be greatly disappointed. The word from camp continues to sound very good. He also is demonstrating a great work ethic and, according to the coaches, is very coachable.

Here is the opening kickoff for CP
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...f-Return/6ed3f01a-661f-4c1c-968d-70ccd30a5f43

I would say billed as advertised.

Also 4 rec 54 yards in 1 1/2 quarters of play. I think those predicting bust will be wrong. He was also interferred with on a pass that resulted in an incompletion (uncalled).

Note for those in a keeper league that also rewards for return yardage. Pick him up.