Penny

xray

Reaction score
mikeak":10evijwk said:
Thepeelsessions":10evijwk said:
Hawkpower":10evijwk said:
It's fascinating to me what a polarizing topic Penny is on this board.
Polarizing is the perfect definition for Penny. The whole debate is becoming pretty disgusting, to say the least. I feel like Penny could have 15+ TDs and 2000 scrimmage yards and people here (I can think of 8 off the top of my head) would still drag his name through the mud. The amount of hate the guy gets on this board is downright annoying and foolish.

What's equally annoying is how Carson's jock has been drooled all over and how he has been put on this proverbial pedestal around here. It's like just because he can run guys over and bang in the trenches, I think some expect Carson to be the next Marshawn, and anyone who isn't belongs in the scrap heap. Carson honestly reminds me of a rocked up BenJarvus Green-Ellis. The fact is Carson will never be Marshawn. Ever. And neither will Penny. And that's ok. Marshawn was a special talent, and I'm fully expecting to never see anyone who mimicks his game in my lifetime.

Get Carson in the open field, and he seems to be a one trick pony. It's only a matter of time before a defender doesn't bite on his hurdle attempt, and totally upends him. Get Penny in the open field, and watch him make guys miss easily. On the flip side, put Carson and Penny side by side running in the gut of the line, and who will most likely be more successful? I'm putting my money on Carson. And that's fine! They both have strengths and weaknesses to their games. That's great. I'll take that complimentary backfield any day of the week.

That is awesome. Get back to me when we play the style of football where Penny fits. Where we don't pound it up the middle but slings the football and use the RB as an outlet to get him in open space.

I agree on your assessment of their skillsets. Penny drafted in the first round by Seahawks only begins to have a possibility of working out when we shift our style of offense

I believe Penny will be closer to 0 TDs and 0 yards than 15 TDs and 2000 yards. The real difference between us though is I hope I am horribly wrong and you are 100% right. I would love for that to happen it would be great for the team
Yep

chris98251

Reaction score
You guys are basing evaluation on a back that may need to get 20 carries to really show what he can do, some players need to get in a rhythm and get hit a few times to get rolling, when Penny has had that he has had his best output, problem is he doesn't get that very much.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
So just to be clear, we can bash Penny with very little facts or objectivity. And then if he does well, just say “Well I always hoped I was 100% wrong!! Glad I get to eat crow.”

How does that work exactly? Completely bashing and dismissing a player, ignoring all the positive things he’s shown on the field. And then just wash your hands clean if you’re wrong?

What some of you actually should do, should Penny flourish, is write an entire apology about how wrong and unfair you were to not let a 2nd year player who’s seen very little playing time, prove himself. It’s another thing for fans like myself to have a hopeful, optimistic approach to Penny HOPING the flashes turn into more. It’s another thing for some of you to throw out near definitive opinions on his abilities then act as if you weren’t beating the drums for him to be cut, traded, or never drafted by us.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Scorpion05":31sdfosg said:
So just to be clear, we can bash Penny with very little facts or objectivity. And then if he does well, just say “Well I always hoped I was 100% wrong!! Glad I get to eat crow.”

How does that work exactly? Completely bashing and dismissing a player, ignoring all the positive things he’s shown on the field. And then just wash your hands clean if you’re wrong?

What some of you actually should do, should Penny flourish, is write an entire apology about how wrong and unfair you were to not let a 2nd year player who’s seen very little playing time, prove himself. It’s another thing for fans like myself to have a hopeful, optimistic approach to Penny HOPING the flashes turn into more. It’s another thing for some of you to throw out near definitive opinions on his abilities then act as if you weren’t beating the drums for him to be cut, traded, or never drafted by us.
Well said, my man. Well said!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
xray":1d4ir2xe said:
Ad Hawk":1d4ir2xe said:
Egos get involved when board members here made their "expert draft predictions." They sometimes dig themselves into a hole or paint back into a corner. It almost seems like some posters are more pro self-image ("being right") than they are pro Seahawk.

I agree that Penny's story isn't written yet. He's got some incredible potential, and some flaws.

Can he develop? Surely, and even contribute in the meantime. That's all I want for any pick, regardless of round. And with the number of 1st round busts. . . well, you'd think fans would learn to temper their enthusiasm, hostility, or outright expectations.

I've been a Seahawks fan since 1976...don't tell me how YOU think what I mean in here...I'm as clear as a bell .

Your longevity as a fan doesn't grant you any rights at all here. Sorry.

Nor do you know whether I was even talking about you specifically, but seeing as you took the bait... ;)

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
I liked the pick of Penny in the first round. Loved that the Hawks were aggressive. But...I also dont follow college football. Dont know one player in college, and dont care to. I dont have any pre-pro favorites. EVER. I watch what I see on the field, and yes, it start with pre-season, and go from there. Pennys draft was polarizing from the start. According to this board, he was either a future hall of famer or tennis player. I chose to root for the hall of famer.

here's when I quit

1) when your tendency is to take a defensive position and not fight for EVERY blade of extra grass when your about to get swallowed up behind the line (horrible offensive line play at times), I dont want you on my team. Leigon of Boom says "you defend every blade of grass". Easy to do when the runner wont/cant/refuses to fight for any.

2) when I realized he cant see the lanes. He needs a fullback leading the way

"he needs more touches" narrative is getting tired. He needs more touches? To learn how to play running back? GTFO with that. He runs decent when he gets a good hole, awesome when he gets good steam going, and phenomenal with an open field. I rooted for the hall of famer Penny, what happened was me staring at the TV with a confused look. Do that look enough times, you finally get to the point you want him on another team. Watch the back ups fight and scrap for every single yard, every blade of grass, knowing they will be cut...pisses me off.

You'll never change anyones mind thats already set on his greatness or his distruction. And none of you can change my mind on him or any other player. Only the player can do that. He's so far behind where he should be it's gross

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2xmsgfcn said:

This notion is absurd. All of us fans hope Penny produces, what kind of fan openly wants a player to fail? If Penny succeeds the teams goals are also advanced. All of those that aren’t high on Penny hope we’re wrong. An apology letter? Who cares. We’ve all been wrong on here at some point in time. Hell even professional NFL scouts miss on players at least half of the time. We’re all just trying to be entertained and pass some time here.

The fact of the matter is Penny hasn’t looked that great. Can he turn it around? Sure. Are some fans too hard on him? Yes. People treat him like he is Trent Richardson. In reality he just looks like a league average RB. A guy you would love to have in the 4th or 5th round. A decent utility player. I don’t think he will ever be the type of guy that will be a feature back. If he can learn to block he can become a decent role player.

chris98251

Reaction score
tonyseahawk":1janujpy said:
I liked the pick of Penny in the first round. Loved that the Hawks were aggressive. But...I also dont follow college football. Dont know one player in college, and dont care to. I dont have any pre-pro favorites. EVER. I watch what I see on the field, and yes, it start with pre-season, and go from there. Pennys draft was polarizing from the start. According to this board, he was either a future hall of famer or tennis player. I chose to root for the hall of famer.

here's when I quit

1) when your tendency is to take a defensive position and not fight for EVERY blade of extra grass when your about to get swallowed up behind the line (horrible offensive line play at times), I dont want you on my team. Leigon of Boom says "you defend every blade of grass". Easy to do when the runner wont/cant/refuses to fight for any.

"he needs more touches" narrative is getting tired. He needs more touches? To learn how to play running back? GTFO with that. He runs decent when he gets a good hole, awesome when he gets good steam going, and phenomenal with an open field. I rooted for the hall of famer Penny, what happened was me staring at the TV with a confused look. Do that look enough times, you finally get to the point you want him on another team. Watch the back ups fight and scrap for every single yard, every blade of grass, knowing they will be cut...pisses me off.

You'll never change anyones mind thats already set on his greatness or his distruction. And none of you can change my mind on him or any other player. Only the player can do that. He's so far behind where he should be it's gross

Then you have not watched football long enough to know that RB's have different mentality's and strengths, you would not expect a Pitcher to go on the mound and throw cold, some running backs also need a few touches to get into the flow. Especially when they are not just the quick receiver types.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scorpion05":a3hqqmv2 said:

21 games.last year, 3 games this far - Not only am I not "completely basing", I am also speaking from what he has shown on the field OVERALL.

Great that some liked the pick and one of every fifth plays he does. Get back to me when he is consistent. He has not shown anything that justifies your level of optimism. You should be writing letters right now if anything

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2eqhqg2k said:
tonyseahawk":2eqhqg2k said:

here's when I quit

Then you have not watched football long enough to know that RB's have different mentality's and strengths, you would not expect a Pitcher to go on the mound and throw cold, some running backs also need a few touches to get into the flow. Especially when they are not just the quick receiver types.

Ha, been watching the Hawks for 40 years. When it comes to having that fight in you to get that extra yard, the man steak to take that extra bleed of grass, you either have it or you don't. Picking lanes may come easier eventually. But i don't want to see a running back have to get 15 carried before he's ready to play every game. Easy to replace with a guy that doesn't need pretend time to get it figured out. He's making millions a year. Do it right or move tf on.

chris98251

Reaction score
tonyseahawk":2yzutu0m said:
chris98251":2yzutu0m said:
tonyseahawk":2yzutu0m said:

here's when I quit

Ha, been watching the Hawks for 40 years. When it comes to having that fight in you to get that extra yard, the man steak to take that extra bleed of grass, you either have it or you don't. Picking lanes may come easier eventually. But i don't want to see a running back have to get 15 carried before he's ready to play every game. Easy to replace with a guy that doesn't need pretend time to get it figured out. He's making millions a year. Do it right or move tf on.

In that case Walter Payton, Marshawn Lynch, Larry Csonka, John Riggins, Cullen Bryant, I could go on would have never been in the league long. For that matter neither would have Shaun Alexander.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
We all want the hawks to get back and win a Super Bowl. None of ever wants them to throw it in from the goal line that win it at the end.

That said we all evaluate players the way we see them. I thought Penny was a horrible pick from the moment his name was announced. If you pick a running back in the first round they better produce right away. They aren’t qbs that need time to learn the system.

What I see is that Penny drops like a sack of laundry with little contact most plays. I see him missing blocking assignments. I see him being timid. I see players taken later performing better.

People argue that It took Player X a year or two and then they became a Hall of Famer. The real truth is that most player that stink their first year or two are CUT. You can point to the very, very rare exception but it certainly isn’t the rule.

Penny has potential. And? You or another Penny fan argued before that Pete isn’t using him right or often enough. Maybe Pete sees the same thing. I wouldn’t worry though. First rounders are given long chances. Heck, there’s a third rounder that has barely played in three years still around. However, he looks pretty good when he is on the field. And he’s cheaper. Hmmmm.

mikeak

Reaction score
If we get Clowney in a trade for Penny then I am proven wrong. Great use of a late first....

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Penny has absolute crazy potential and another gear. Dude sold me last year when did the cutback all the way around the field like a damn pee wee game... went from “what the hell are you doing” to “holy shit he just out ran NFL speed like was no thing”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
We'll it's obvious some of you just can't give he man any credit because you already capped his ability. Fine with me maybe your right maybe your not but he made some good plays Sat fact.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
mikeak":30d2n4kt said:
If we get Clowney in a trade for Penny then I am proven wrong. Great use of a late first....

4.9 yds per carry last year your already wrong. See I can deal in absolutes to the truth is some where in the middle.

quadsas

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":au04f59s said:
mikeak":au04f59s said:

4.9 yds per carry last year your already wrong. See I can deal in absolutes to the truth is some where in the middle.

anyone using 4.9ypc is automatically disqualified from having his opinions mean anything.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
quadsas":2cacfr33 said:
Northwest Seahawk":2cacfr33 said:
mikeak":2cacfr33 said:

anyone using 4.9ypc is automatically disqualified from having his opinions mean anything.

So according to you 4.9 YPC is really bad I think it's your opinion that's flawed bro. You have a nice day.

McGruff

Reaction score
quadsas":r2mhryh4 said:
Northwest Seahawk":r2mhryh4 said:
mikeak":r2mhryh4 said:

How about 6.4 over his last 7 games?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Still not sure why so many people gave up on the guy so early. He clearly has a lot of talent and can contribute. The guy is a Hawk, and will likely be for awhile. Support the guy, we need him.