Penny

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Osprey":l71smw83 said:
austinslater25":l71smw83 said:
I agree. Penny is a different kind of back that needs a crease. I still think he can be very good in this league and will be as a Seahawk. He is going to surprise some people this year taking a lot of the vacated Davis touches and do well with them. Having said that its tough to see us take Penny when Chubb went later who I like more and would be perfect in this system.

Wasn't Chubb a medical red flag? Wonder if he was even on their board.

Chubb and Michel both had medical concerns and Penny was healthy and after Procise do you blame the FO for being a bit more cautious about medical concerns?

You have half the fans saying that Procise shouldn't have been drafted because of injury concerns and the other half saying we should have taken Michel or Chubb who had equal concerns. FO can't win.

D

DomeHawk

He's running with the same line CC is but what looks like bad blacking is him simply running right into the defense. He is clueless at picking the right running lane.

McGruff

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3jq5sd27 said:
He's running with the same line CC is but what looks like bad blacking is him simply running right into the defense. He is clueless at picking the right running lane.

Except that's not true. He wasnt running with the same line last night.

Carson ran with the ones.

Penny, effectively, ran with the threes.

D

DomeHawk

McGruff":12yhqu79 said:
DomeHawk":12yhqu79 said:

I thought he got some snaps when CC was in there?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We all know that Carson is a hell of a back. Penny should get a shot to run with actual NFL level blocking at some point. It wasn't even close, as far as who was blocking for Carson and who was for Penny.

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":2kthji0c said:
We all know that Carson is a hell of a back. Penny should get a shot to run with actual NFL level blocking at some point. It wasn't even close, as far as who was blocking for Carson and who was for Penny.

I don't want to get too down on him but he was running AGAINST 2nd and 3rd stringers too.

"To be totally fair to Penny, there were a couple of plays where there was at least one Vikings player ready to destroy him immediately upon handoff. But Penny had 8 touches for 8 yards and I don’t think he broke a single tackle. He is a very choppy, hesitant runner who badly needs open space, which is why he excelled at toss sweeps but running between the tackles remains a problem for him. Preseason isn’t the sole barometer for player measurement but I’m not that enthused about his two games thus far. Travis Homer was also playing against backups and looked better than Penny. Obviously Rashaad will make the team, he just needs to clean up a lot of problems in his game."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/8/18/20 ... poona-ford

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3c1epgj9 said:
SoulfishHawk":3c1epgj9 said:

I don't want to get too down on him but he was running AGAINST 2nd and 3rd stringers too.

"To be totally fair to Penny, there were a couple of plays where there was at least one Vikings player ready to destroy him immediately upon handoff. But Penny had 8 touches for 8 yards and I don’t think he broke a single tackle. He is a very choppy, hesitant runner who badly needs open space, which is why he excelled at toss sweeps but running between the tackles remains a problem for him. Preseason isn’t the sole barometer for player measurement but I’m not that enthused about his two games thus far. Travis Homer was also playing against backups and looked better than Penny. Obviously Rashaad will make the team, he just needs to clean up a lot of problems in his game."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/8/18/20 ... poona-ford

He needs to run Violent and not passive I Think is a way to describe it.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
If Carson goes down and Penny is the featured back we will be screwed for all those games.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
While I think the first round pick status was a little steep for the value we got - I will take a healthy reliable RB any day. He definitely seems pretty boom or bust most games though so far.

Chapow

Reaction score
Mad Dog":30wlfnaa said:
Osprey":30wlfnaa said:
austinslater25":30wlfnaa said:
I agree. Penny is a different kind of back that needs a crease. I still think he can be very good in this league and will be as a Seahawk. He is going to surprise some people this year taking a lot of the vacated Davis touches and do well with them. Having said that its tough to see us take Penny when Chubb went later who I like more and would be perfect in this system.

Wasn't Chubb a medical red flag? Wonder if he was even on their board.

Chubb and Michel both had medical concerns and Penny was healthy and after Procise do you blame the FO for being a bit more cautious about medical concerns?

You have half the fans saying that Procise shouldn't have been drafted because of injury concerns and the other half saying we should have taken Michel or Chubb who had equal concerns. FO can't win.

Yep.

And Michel has continued to have knee issues. He missed 3 games last season, and he missed OTAs this off season, and almost all of the articles regarding his ongoing knee problems include comments like these,

"Michel's knee troubles go back years and will remain a concern for the rest of his career."

"Michel's long history of knee issues coupled with the arrival of third-round rookie Damien Harris make him a risky fantasy investment."

"Michel's knee issues are well documented..."

"Michel has a lengthy history of knee issues, including last season."

Yes, he has played well for the Patriots so far, but who knows how long he's going to last with chronic knee problems? I would not have wanted the Seahawks to take a guy with this kind of ongoing issue, especially where the Patriots took him, at number 31 overall, in the first round.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ze3rf71 said:
Because the team didn't pick the guy that THEY wanted and/or they actually believe they know more than Pete and John about football. Nope

Not at all...I don't pretend to know more than my wife's yorkie ...but everybody makes errors of judgement ...everyone knows or should know that big stats in college don't auto load into the pro's...some make the transition many don't. I just want the very best players the Hawks have to take the field. Not designate pecking order by draft position.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2ro2if3u said:
If Carson goes down and Penny is the featured back we will be screwed for all those games.

That simply isn't true, because it's never happened. Let's revisit this if/when Carson goes down.

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":1lemj0jy said:
DomeHawk":1lemj0jy said:

And so did the other RBs...the other RBs all had positive yards ...but Penny...not so much. 6 attempts for -2 yards.

xray

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3psd3w64 said:
JayhawkMike":3psd3w64 said:

That simply isn't true, because it's never happened. Let's revisit this if/when Carson goes down.
Homer takes up the slack...won't be Penny . IMHO

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The one thing I took away from the game against Minnesota, was that their DL has way better depth than Seattle's OL. For a RB like Penny, that's not going to bode well. I agree that Penny needs to be more aggressive, but I don't think he'll ever be as aggressive as we hope he can be, he'll never be like Carson.

Since I'm a Penny apologist, I won't label him a bust, but Seattle needs to accept what kind of RB he is and put him in the right situation. Penny is an outside runner, but the problem is, the OL isn't built for outside runs, that's why, so far in his Seahawk career, his potential hasn't been reached. He'd have more success if he were on a team like the Rams, I was excited that we picked him, because I was a fan of his since he was a junior at SDSU, but if he doesn't step up this season, then I'll have to accept the fact that he just wasn't the right RB for Seattle.

I don't believe he's a a bad RB at all, but sometimes the system masks the talent. I've said it numerous times, Seattle needs to use Penny like they wanted to use Prosise. So far, from what I've seen, Penny has flashed more as a pass catcher than a pure RB. They also need to use him on kick returns, that's what he excelled at in college, and the fact that they don't want to use Lockett in return duty anymore, is just more reason to make sure they get as much usage out of Penny as they can.

McGruff

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":3as1xa6j said:
The one thing I took away from the game against Minnesota, was that their DL has way better depth than Seattle's OL. For a RB like Penny, that's not going to bode well. I agree that Penny needs to be more aggressive, but I don't think he'll ever be as aggressive as we hope he can be, he'll never be like Carson. Since I'm a Penny apologist, I won't label him a bust, but Seattle needs to accept what kind of RB he is and put him in the right situation. Penny is an outside runner, but the problem is, the OL isn't built for outside runs, that's why, so far in his Seahawk career, his potential hasn't been reached. He'd have more success if he were on a team like the Rams, I was excited that we picked him, because I was a fan of his since he was a junior at SDSU, but if he doesn't step up this season, then I'll have to accept the fact that he just wasn't the right RB for Seattle. I don't believe he's a a bad RB at all, but sometimes the system masks the talent. I've said it numerous times, Seattle needs to use Penny like they wanted to use Prosise. So far, from what I've seen, Penny has flashed more as a pass catcher than a pure RB. They also need to use him on kick returns, that's what he excelled at in college, and the fact that they don't want to use Lockett in return duty anymore, is just more reason to make sure they get as much usage out of Penny as they can.

Minnie being better is only 25% true.

75% of the problem was that mich of the game was our 3rd string oline going against their 2nd string dline.

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":1n8c1hij said:
McGruff":1n8c1hij said:
DomeHawk":1n8c1hij said:

And so did the other RBs...the other RBs all had positive yards ...but Penny...not so much. 6 attempts for -2 yards.

Because of injuries along the OL, our 3rd string OL was going against their 2nd string DL. That's real NFL players against dishwashers.

By the time those others entered the game, the field had evened out to 3s on 3s.

All you had to do is watch. That 2nd quarter was a catastrophic joke of blocking.

D

DomeHawk

12AngryHawks":3j7j28p5 said:
The one thing I took away from the game against Minnesota, was that their DL has way better depth than Seattle's OL. For a RB like Penny, that's not going to bode well. I agree that Penny needs to be more aggressive, but I don't think he'll ever be as aggressive as we hope he can be, he'll never be like Carson. Since I'm a Penny apologist, I won't label him a bust, but Seattle needs to accept what kind of RB he is and put him in the right situation. Penny is an outside runner, but the problem is, the OL isn't built for outside runs, that's why, so far in his Seahawk career, his potential hasn't been reached. He'd have more success if he were on a team like the Rams, I was excited that we picked him, because I was a fan of his since he was a junior at SDSU, but if he doesn't step up this season, then I'll have to accept the fact that he just wasn't the right RB for Seattle. I don't believe he's a a bad RB at all, but sometimes the system masks the talent. I've said it numerous times, Seattle needs to use Penny like they wanted to use Prosise. So far, from what I've seen, Penny has flashed more as a pass catcher than a pure RB. They also need to use him on kick returns, that's what he excelled at in college, and the fact that they don't want to use Lockett in return duty anymore, is just more reason to make sure they get as much usage out of Penny as they can.

Don't want to be the grammar police or anything but smaller paragraphs make for much easier reading on a forum 12Angry.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am of the mind that Penny needs to set up a few yards deeper and be a slash cut runner, get to the line and go left or go right behind his block.

Many of you will get what I am about to say some won't but here goes. Some players and we see it at QB a lot can make throws all day when they have a exact play set up with a primary and a secondary option in college. Give them the whole field and the need to check off and read a defense and go to three or four deep and they get lost in their decision making and boom bad plays or sacks or interceptions.

People with a great mental processor can do this quick and it looks easy, learning pre snap tells and reads and knowing how to bait players are all bonus points. Those two seconds while your in a back pedal seeing defenders commit and knowing where your going to go are a QB's bread and butter, if they can't do it they are back ups or wash outs.

Running backs have the same thing going, they need to do pre reads and know what's being shown, when they get the ball depending on play they need to be patient on some and then cut and go or know they have to hit the line and cut off their O line or FB and go. You hesitate on the cut or expect a hole the size of a Escalade and your done, they are to big and fast and close to quickly to allow for this processing time.

This is where I think Penny has to improve pre snap reads and vision on the fly and then decisiveness on the run, doing this with purpose and aggression.