PC: "we throw the ball really to kind of waste that play."

getnasty

Reaction score
Just say "we probably should have ran the ball" Pete. It's ok, admit fault and learn from it. This is probably the dumbest excuse i have ever heard in my life, and makes no sense. The only people that outcoached us yesterday was us.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Pete is not a football mastermind when it comes to passing the ball. He hasn't had a really consistent passing offense since 2004 when Norm Chow was his OC. Given that he pushed out Chow and hired Lane Kiffin to call the plays after that, I question his ability to objectively evaluate his OC. There was also Jeremy Bates . . . . :34853_doh:

KatarHol

Reaction score
It is comical how utterly incapable you people are at interpreting Pete's words there. One guy asked why we didn't just spike the ball, LMAO.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Pete, based on Bevell's input, is making the faulty assumption that New England would have moved out of their goal line formation after we passed the ball, thereby giving us an easier chance to run it in on 3rd and 4th down.

I can't imagine New England moving out of their goal line formation on the half-yard line. Their first priority was either stopping Marshawn or forcing Bevell to call pass plays. Bevell overthought this like he always does; by his own admission, he had "20 things in his mind" when he made this decision. Running the ball in that situation (either with Marshawn or a QB sneak) should have been a much easier call for him. Belichick must have been ecstatic when he saw us line up with three receivers.

gulliver

Reaction score
I thought we knew Bevell made the call, and that there was no audible out of it.

IMO Pete had veto power, but he's being a leader and taking the heat for Bevell.

Bevell, meanwhile, has already shown what a leader he is by throwing Lockette under the bus.

knownone

Reaction score
This is really getting misconstrued. Tactically Pete made the right choice. You don't run it on 2nd down with 1 time out and 25 seconds left in the game.
Seriously, What happens if you run it and they stop Lynch for a two yard loss? do you hurry to the line and run it again? Do you audible to a rushed pass play? Call time out and commit to passing it two times? No, you throw it, if you make it you win if it's incomplete you stop the clock and use your time out to run it twice.
The Seahawks were right to throw in the situation, the play call was bad, calling a pass was not.

endzorn

Reaction score
For the rest of his career Pete Carroll will have to wear that around his neck. A great coach who made the single most epically boneheaded decision in NFL history. Wilson has to be smarter than that too.