PC philosophy and why the Hawks are tough to beat

Hawks46

Reaction score
I actually thought you were going to talk about Pete's philosophy, or managing the psyche of the team.

I think Pete is uniquely suited to manage the expectations of a dominant and winning team. He seemed to manage them pretty well with amateur players while he ran that dynasty at USC.

All of our guys seem to manage expectations very well and keep an even keel. I don't worry about them overlooking anyone after that Tampa game. I honestly think we overlooked that team and it almost cost us and the guys knew it. After that, every win has been convincing.

OP
OP
EntiatHawk

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Okay, Maybe I was being specific enough, okay my bad. But as someone else stated it a little better. Pete wants a team that is not dependent on any one phase being so dominate that if you take it away then you are behind the eight-ball. In one of PC's interviews he even stated if Russell went down they would be just fine going with -Tjack. Would they be as dynamic, no way, but they can play that way and be competitive and win. The object is to be so well rounded that you can pull a win out by various means and combinations. I know that this is a goal of every team but so few actually achieve it.

Look at our DB's, we have two out and the still move on. O-line decimated still move on etc...

As for flaws, I would say out O-line is the weakest link. We survived the injuries because of Wilson. Most likely you put anyone else back there during that time you get them killed. We all know the Wilson was getting jacked up pretty regularly there for a while, we are lucky we did not loose him during that time. Next would be our WR's, these guys are good but we do not have that dynamic killer WR. Harvin is it, but he not on the field yet. So till he plays on a weekly basis we are a good group but not killer. OUr WR's fit our tough mode they are scrappy and will do the dirty work but till Harvin gets back and proves he can stay there, they do not tilt the field.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":37fly03f said:
It explains a lot.

The OP's premise was that Pete & Co. have built a team that can win multiple ways, and to beat them, you must beat us in multiple ways. There is no pattern or formula to winning against us.

You want to hammer it out in a low-scoring slug-fest where you rely on your defense to pull it out for you in the end? Hasn't worked. See: Panthers, Rams, etc. We will outlast you.

You want to out-duel us in a high-scoring affair? Hasn't worked. We have seven games this year alone where we've scored more than 24 points, a score that pushes the odds way in favor of a team winning, no matter their defense. Five of those games we've scored more than 30 points, and two of them over 40. We will keep pace the whole way.

You want to come out swinging and hope we can't make up a big deficit after halftime? Hasn't worked. See: Houston, Tampa Bay, etc. We do not give up, even when you have the start of what should be a blow-out.

You want to beat us at your house, on the road in a hostile stadium, at ten o'clock in the morning? That worked. Once. And it took a talented, division-leading team with a high-powered offense capable of a shootout, explosive special teams scores, and questionable calls from the refs to pull it off. It took a first round star quarterback and Hall of Fame receivers, a blocked field goal returned for a touchdown, and a touchdown called a safety to pull it off. It took the perfect storm, and we were still in a position to win it in the end.

So yea, there is a formula to beat the Seahawks. So far this year, that formula has been to make us fly across the country, play at ten o'clock in the morning against a top-tier team, hope like hell you get all the bounces and calls, and squeak out the win. Not really a formula I'd want to bank on.

Great post!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Are you really from Entiat? I grew up and graduated from school in Wenatchee and probably drove through that village hundreds of times going to Chelan.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":27u7cpct said:
It explains a lot.

The OP's premise was that Pete & Co. have built a team that can win multiple ways, and to beat them, you must beat us in multiple ways. There is no pattern or formula to winning against us.

You want to hammer it out in a low-scoring slug-fest where you rely on your defense to pull it out for you in the end? Hasn't worked. See: Panthers, Rams, etc. We will outlast you.

You want to out-duel us in a high-scoring affair? Hasn't worked. We have seven games this year alone where we've scored more than 24 points, a score that pushes the odds way in favor of a team winning, no matter their defense. Five of those games we've scored more than 30 points, and two of them over 40. We will keep pace the whole way.

You want to come out swinging and hope we can't make up a big deficit after halftime? Hasn't worked. See: Houston, Tampa Bay, etc. We do not give up, even when you have the start of what should be a blow-out.

You want to beat us at your house, on the road in a hostile stadium, at ten o'clock in the morning? That worked. Once. And it took a talented, division-leading team with a high-powered offense capable of a shootout, explosive special teams scores, and questionable calls from the refs to pull it off. It took a first round star quarterback and Hall of Fame receivers, a blocked field goal returned for a touchdown, and a touchdown called a safety to pull it off. It took the perfect storm, and we were still in a position to win it in the end.

So yea, there is a formula to beat the Seahawks. So far this year, that formula has been to make us fly across the country, play at ten o'clock in the morning against a top-tier team, hope like hell you get all the bounces and calls, and squeak out the win. Not really a formula I'd want to bank on.
Great analysis Sailor! :th2thumbs:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":2sieb5m9 said:
The Hawks are not perfect and they have their flaws. But in this day of the NFL all the teams have their flaws. I just think this team has done well to minimize them.

So Pete has built a team that can win in a multitude of ways. We can win by running the ball, passing the ball. On defense we can create turnovers and well play the pass about as well as anyone.
Then you add special teams where we are as good as anyone in the league.

This make teams have to hold all three phases of the game in check. Which can be a tall order.

So with that said can we be beat, yep, on any given Sunday. But the team is built to have the odds tilted their way.

So now lets go get one in San Fran this weekend and send another call card to the rest of the league.

GO Hawks!!!!

:thirishdrinkers:

My take:

Seattle is hard to beat because they can play 8 men in the box and not sacrifice one iota of passing defense. Their secondary is just that good.

Because of that, even when the offense struggles, the game will be kept manageable. And then when the offense gets a couple of successful drives, suddenly it's a two score game and the opposition has to resort to abandoning the running game. At this point, the super deep pass rush takes over the game.

But it should be obvious: it starts and ends with the Legion of Boom. You CAN'T do anything about that defense. You can't do a power running game like you normally would want to against a team with a good secondary because sheer numbers will stop you. You certainly can't pass it because (a) that secondary is otherwordly and they'll win one on one matchups 9-10 times, and (b) the pass rush has so much depth that they stay rested.

EDITED TO ADD:

For example, 49ers versus Seahawks.

Seattle plays 8 in the box. Ideally the 49ers want to pass. Crabtree matched up one on one, beaten. Boldin matched up one on one, beaten. Vernon Daves: can beat the safeties, even Seattle's, but there's a problem: due to 8 men in the box, if it's a pass, suddenly there is pressure up the middle, which takes away Davis' best threat, the pass to the seam. Kaepernick can't step up in the pocket or throw over the middle because there is a man in his face. Result: Incomplete, interception, sack, or two yard scramble.

Say it isn't a turnover. Now it's second and long. 49ers know they can't pass, so they try a run. Everyone sees it coming. 1 yard gain. Third and long. Punt.

*and let me say this: Seattle is a prime example of why great cover men are more important than great pass rushers. As a 49er fan, I know this truth quite well (see 1994 49ers: terrible pressure from the outside, great defense anyway with Deion Sanders, Mertin Hanks, and Tim McDonald going to the Pro Bowl, and Eric Davis going the very next year). With a great secondary you can load the box (i.e. you can scheme a physical run defense). You can always scheme pass rush. You can't scheme man-to-man coverage, not really.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2so0t145 said:
It explains a lot.

Now you're just showin' off, Sailor.

(didn't say I didn't like it...)

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1bjo9fkb said:
dopeboy206":1bjo9fkb said:
Doesn't really explain anything.
Why does everyone have to be critical?? My gawd man, give it a rest.

Because the thread says Pete's philosophy and I didn't read anything philosophical on his post about PC's system other than him being a cheerleader like every other 12s

OP
OP
EntiatHawk

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":7ug49sty said:
Are you really from Entiat? I grew up and graduated from school in Wenatchee and probably drove through that village hundreds of times going to Chelan.

I grew up and lived in Seattle (Ballard) till 2001, Lived on the Entiat River for 10 years (up valley). Now I am in Wenatchee. Do like having the seasons the east side presents.

Been a Hawks Fan since the inception, prior to that was a Chiefs fan because it was a rival om my dad's favorite team the Raiders. So I have always hated the Raiders (not as much though since they have sucked for a while).

Hey... I am a Cheerleader, aren't we all, cheering since 1976 : )

Since I am new to this board still learning the lay of the land and who is who. Drifted from the PI board that died where I was for many years.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I like the post and the responses. I agree with just about all of it I guess. I will offer what I see as a weakness. Penalties. We trail only Tampa Bay with 95 this season.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

I do think we are called unfairly at times often for PI and possibly holding. I'd like to hear other's opinions on that. Even if that is the case, we should cut this way down. We obviously destroyed NO this week, but I noticed the only breathing room they got was because we gave them some free first downs.