Pay the Man! I know there's lots of time left but..

Rob12

Reaction score
I don't think the Hawks are going to offer $20M a year to Russ. The recent comments by Schneider lead me to believe this.

For the first time ever, I actually think that if Russ truly wants $22-25M a season, he's going to have to find it elsewhere. I feel sick saying that, but this FO is not going to let any future contracts cripple the cap and keeping a roster of great players.

Please get it worked out soon.

acbass

Reaction score
The JS comments in that article made me feel a little uneasy. I know they will find a way to re-sign him, but that article did spook me. Would they sacrifice Wilson to keep the rest of the team intact? I wouldn't think so.... But I just don't like those comments. (yes, I'm just thinking out loud.)

Anthony!

Reaction score
Well this could get interesting and ugly. Lets say they do not want to pay more than 15 mil year. Lets say Wilson wants 18. So nothing happens. Camp comes Wilson holds out, he eventually comes in under the agreement they will not Tag him, which is why he would hold out. We then can say good by to Wilson because of the bad blood, and we can start looking for another franchise QB. The hawks need to be very very careful. They are not built for another QB. This team works at a championship level because you can go cheap on the oline and WR because of Wilson. Add to that the yearly Lynch will he or will he not retire, will he get more money etc. Add to that they have paid their "Core" guys at or near the top for their positions and well you can imagine how Wilson feels. I mean Kam, Et, Sherman all paid amongst the tops for their positions, Lynch holds out 2 years straight even though he was already making top 5 RB money and now the FO wants to go cheap to Wilson. Now of course this could all be a smoke screen, everything could be fine and they will come to terms. But this article and those words by JS sure do make me think my original concerns are a bit bigger than I thought. This could get really ugly, and anyone who thinks we can afford to loose Wilson and would still be a SB team is nuts, and trust me if this goes down the wrong way it will impact the other players and any players that might want to come here. Again all that said I still think it gets done, but it is a huge concern right now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Meh, this is business as usual when it involves franchise let alone arguably elite level quarterbacks when talking long-term contact extension. Thing is the fan base has never had a front row seat for it because our beloved team has never had a quarterback of Wilson's level before. Basically ALL contract negotiations involving this level of quarterback is at least partially ugly when seen in a front row and center seat.

MVP53

Reaction score
The only concern I have with Schneider's comments is that he made them to the media. Don't really care for it when either side of a negotiation start airing anything out publicly. That's when things can get a little nasty.

Not that anything he said was overtly derogatory towards Wilson, but I'd really prefer "We're working on it" and leave it at that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
BadgerVid":it9jbdhy said:
pmedic920":it9jbdhy said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12698809/seattle-seahawks-gm-says-team-cautious-russell-wilson-negotiations

JS makes comment.

Sort of sounds like he is saying they are prepared to move on without him.

Sounds more like the negotiations are complex because they have to make him happy and pay him his fair salary, while keeping it within our cap philosophy. I don't see this as anything more that that whatsoever. We reward our core players and if you don't call Wilson a core player, then sure we would move on without him, but nobody who knows anything about this team wouldn't call Wilson a core player. He'll get his.

This happens every time a player's contract is due. Too many people sweat something before there's anything even worth sweating.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3nsk98me said:
BadgerVid":3nsk98me said:
pmedic920":3nsk98me said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12698809/seattle-seahawks-gm-says-team-cautious-russell-wilson-negotiations

JS makes comment.

Sort of sounds like he is saying they are prepared to move on without him.

Sounds more like the negotiations are complex because they have to make him happy and pay him his fair salary, while keeping it within our cap philosophy. I don't see this as anything more that that whatsoever. We reward our core players and if you don't call Wilson a core player, then sure we would move on without him, but nobody who knows anything about this team wouldn't call Wilson a core player. He'll get his.

This happens every time a player's contract is due. Too many people sweat something before there's anything even worth sweating.

Exactly.

Anything in the media right now is just little comments here and there for leverage.

Wilson says he's still thinking about giving baseball a go.

Schneider says he's got to consider the cap and keeping core players together.

It's all part of the dance. Every single person involved in the negotiations knows that Wilson and the Seahawks are going to be together a long time.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ That both sides have now taken it to the media doesn't mean it won't get done, but it does likely mean that they're currently pretty far apart.

The only thing I'd be even remotely concerned about is once sides start negotiating through the media things can get acrimonious really quickly (and that could particularly be the case when you're talking about comparing a QB who was taken you to the Super Bowl in two out of three years and who you've paid practically nothing to the likes of Nate Burleson and Cory Redding).

I still think this gets done of course, but right now it's looking VERY DIFFERENT from the "deal is iminent" talk from a month or so ago.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":38blbku6 said:
Well this could get interesting and ugly. Lets say they do not want to pay more than 15 mil year. Lets say Wilson wants 18. So nothing happens. Camp comes Wilson holds out, he eventually comes in under the agreement they will not Tag him, which is why he would hold out. We then can say good by to Wilson because of the bad blood, and we can start looking for another franchise QB. The hawks need to be very very careful. They are not built for another QB. This team works at a championship level because you can go cheap on the oline and WR because of Wilson. Add to that the yearly Lynch will he or will he not retire, will he get more money etc. Add to that they have paid their "Core" guys at or near the top for their positions and well you can imagine how Wilson feels. I mean Kam, Et, Sherman all paid amongst the tops for their positions, Lynch holds out 2 years straight even though he was already making top 5 RB money and now the FO wants to go cheap to Wilson. Now of course this could all be a smoke screen, everything could be fine and they will come to terms. But this article and those words by JS sure do make me think my original concerns are a bit bigger than I thought. This could get really ugly, and anyone who thinks we can afford to loose Wilson and would still be a SB team is nuts, and trust me if this goes down the wrong way it will impact the other players and any players that might want to come here. Again all that said I still think it gets done, but it is a huge concern right now.

Mjl

LolaRox

Reaction score
I hope (and think) this is much ado about nothing. I have been thinking this will get done after the draft which fits with the timing of other big extensions and I'm still hopeful it will.

Russell is a core player and should get paid like the upper level/SBowl winning QBs and if John is as good at his job as we think he is, then he will figure out how to get it done.

The quote that caught my eye - "We want to be a consistent championship-caliber football team, one that the community and the Northwest is extremely proud of every year and has high expectations and hopes for," Schneider said.

I'm not sure how you do that with some random dude playing QB, look around, its rough out there without QB.

In short... I ain't go no worries.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":1qi406o2 said:

Step off the ledge. If Wilson wanted just $18 million per year, there would not be any further negotiation. This is all part of the process. Eventually, a fair deal that will allow us to sustain our success will be worked out. The chances of Wilson holding out are practically zero.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Anthony!":g0iaxi1f said:
This could get really ugly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -contract/

"Russell Wilson is due for a new contract and Mike Florio believes the Seahawks will frame the negotiations in a way that makes the QB look greedy, citing the discount Colin Kaepernick took to help his team."

If this is true then this cold get really ugly.

Don't entertain the thought, this is a slow offseason. They like drama and what better way to make stories out of nothing. Until I see legitimate proof, then there's no need to worry. You gotta see that the Seahawks have a plan and in that plan they are probably seeing Wagner's contract and Irvin's eventually extension and seeing how that will play out with Wilson's contract.

Shoot if Wilson isn't playing for the Seahawks anymore I will follow him to his next team, and will root for him there too. The business side is the part I hate but you gotta do what you gotta do, someone else will pick him up quick though.

Oh and this

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2008/5/7/48 ... s-up-facts

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2clx2wcz said:
Wilson says he's still thinking about giving baseball a go.

Schneider says he's got to consider the cap and keeping core players together.

Wilson says that he's changing his first name to Nancy "because I love the singer's smooth and classy Pop-Vocal stylings."

Schneider says that he's bringing in Jared Lorenzen for a camp tryout because "he's shown some promise with the Northern Kentucky River Monsters."

Wilson says that he will be following the commands of Jesus in Matthew 5:29 because his right eye has recently caused him to stumble.

Schneider says that he's trying out Robert Turbin in a passer's role because he's a believer in the BSTPSOA metric (Bicep Size To Pass Success Over Average).

Wilson says that he's going to quit his offseason conditioning camps to start a movie review site called 50 Shades of Russ.

Schneider says that he's recommending the team retire the number 3 to honor former kicker Josh Brown.

Wilson says that he's joined the Oklahoma City Thunder as team chaplain.

original poster

Reaction score
Anything JS says to the media isn't by fault, he wanted it to be news.

there is zero benefit to saying anything about contracts before the draft, why show your cards to your opponents?