Patrick Peterson takes aim at Sherm

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If Patrick P interviewed me on the street I wouldn't know who he was either.

But if you put a Michael Crabtree or Golden Tate jersey behind him with separation I will figure it out quick.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2e4h7hkk said:

But if you put a Michael Crabtree or Golden Tate jersey behind him with separation I will figure it out quick.

The Gal in your Av has a way higher shutdown rating than PP. Zero separation at all, those things are pretty much on top of each other. Coverage skills, obviously good. #Opinionvsfact #stats #measurements

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3ilyizv4 said:

The Gal in your Av has a way higher shutdown rating than PP. Zero separation at all, those things are pretty much on top of each other. Coverage skills, obviously good; smart decisions. #Opinionvsfact #stats #measurements

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Peterson is buying into the hype machine that Bruce Arians has been pushing the last few years. Arians is desperately trying to make his Cardinals relevant in the NFC West and has been talking the talk since he took the job. Dockett has been doing it and a few others have as well. The Cardinals realize the Seahawks and 49ers are the two best teams in the league and also happen to be in the same division.... with them. They also realize the Rams are on the cusp as well.

The NFC West is going to be great theater this season and in the near future. Every NFC West game is going to be a war.

taz291819

Reaction score
LymonHawk":eywyufca said:
Peterson's looking for an extension next year. He just got his name mentioned in the same sentence as Sherman. Business, boys, it just business. The same way the Sherman sells his brand.

Does this not seem familiar as what Sherman did with Revis last year. It's just business.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Hell, they may be friends, and Peterson needs to sell his brand also, ala Sherman.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3krtdt9j said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/patrick-peterson-takes-aim-at-richard-sherman/

“If you look at their scheme and you look at our scheme, he’s a Cover-3 corner, period,” Peterson said. “A lot of guys say he’s a shutdown corner, but if you look at film and guys who understand the game, go back and look at film and see how his defense is."

Thanks for pouring some more fuel on the fire there Patrick. :th2thumbs:
Aren't the guys who understand the game the same guys that voted him All Pro two times running?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
In case anyone tries to tell you one is benefiting from d-line help more than the other...

BoU2vCKCcAAQ4u3

drdiags

Reaction score
PP sees the attention Sherman is getting from folks outside the NFL. The President, Time Magazine and various corporations. He saw a brash player become a bigger than life personality. There could be some jealousy but he also probably isn't ready to engage in a war of words yet.

He was already acknowledged by Sherman as being a better athlete, stated so in the one 9 minute youtube where Sherman talks about the details of coverage. Yet PP felt the need to try to pidgeon-hole Sherman as a system CB, while proclaiming that he was a rare player. Sherman may be loud and controversial but he is also smart in picking his fights.

PP will most likely get a larger contract than Sherman and Haden. This reminds me of Kenny Easley's demand that his contract pay $1 more than Lott's back in the day.

Ego is what separates these players from the average. PP is getting better as a player. I say have fun with it and if the Cardinals agree, they will line his pockets with gold.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Patrick "Toast" Peterson!
We'll simply call him "Toast Peterson".

In tribute to the great Elvis "Toast" Patterson of NYG fame. However, Toast Patterson was on a Super Bowl winning team, a couple in fact. Toast Peterson? Zippo, zilch, nada.

Thanks SoulFishHawk!

Almost as good a name would be "Peterson96", for the QB rating of QBs who target him.
If Sherman started referring to him as "Peterson96" on Twitter, then we'd have something!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
So we're really going to do this thing where posters pretend that Peterson isn't good because he's not a Seahawk? Is this the troglodytic third cousin of "Andrew Luck isn't that good because he isn't Russell Wilson"?

kenwillisssh

Reaction score
hawknation2014":o9sj508h said:
cb1.png

cb3.png

richard-sherman-interceptions.jpeg

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ting-paid/
IMHO this says it all, how can anyone say he isn't a shut down corner, even in Pete's scheme. Patrick is just looking for a pay day and he has two more years to wait for it...no short cuts son. do the work THEN get paid. simple.

Cartire

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3jv3bd5z said:
So we're really going to do this thing where posters pretend that Peterson isn't good because he's not a Seahawk? Is this the troglodytic third cousin of "Andrew Luck isn't that good because he isn't Russell Wilson"?

We're not doing anything. You're being that guy though.

And pretty sure the majority of people are purely arguing comparisons, and not overall skills.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Cartire":q9h70qpn said:
MidwestHawker":q9h70qpn said:

And pretty sure the majority of people are purely arguing comparisons, and not overall skills.

There are definitely a bunch of posts pretty directly saying that Peterson isn't very good...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1oe3wgns said:
Them is big words, cuz.
Peterson is not a bad player. If he was in Seattle he could do a fine job as our 2nd CB. And Luck would make a fantastic backup for Russell.

kenwillisssh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3f9032gb said:
MidwestHawker":3f9032gb said:
Them is big words, cuz.
Peterson is not a bad player. If he was in Seattle he could do a fine job as our 2nd CB. And Luck would make a fantastic backup for Russell.

THIS! :2:

olyfan63

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":107fc6h9 said:
Cartire":107fc6h9 said:
MidwestHawker":107fc6h9 said:

There are definitely a bunch of posts pretty directly saying that Peterson isn't very good...

Toast Peterson, aka Peterson96, is an elite athlete, but a MEDIOCRE cornerback, hardly an elite one. Joe Haden has a much better argument here. Toast is in a contract year, I've gathered, and trying to get some press and attention. Plus he's butt-hurt that Sherman is getting so much attention, when Toast knows he's a slightly better *athlete* than Sherman.

I'm sure we would all welcome Peterson96 as a Seahawk, but, aside from returning punts, the question would be whether he could beat out Maxwell for the 2nd corner spot. Last I checked, a consistent week-in, week-out QB rating of 96 will get you a starting job and a nice contract in the NFL. So I'm not understanding why having QB's make a good living when picking on you as a CB should be considered elite.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I won't say PP is not "good" but his pointed exclamation was that Sherman "is not a shutdown corner" by definition of the system he plays in.

I counter that PP is not a shutdown corner by definition of the success of his opponents. He doesn't shut anyone down.

Only 8 QBs finished last season with a 96 or better rating. PP faced 3 of them (Foles, Brees, Wilson twice). So in 12 games, 75% of last season, he was challenged with a QB who would finish the season below 96. Yet, collectively, all QBs achieved a 96 rating when throwing at PP. They were more efficient and successful when throwing at Peterson than they were the rest of the season.

According to Pro Football Focus’s play-by-play grading system, Sherman has finished no lower than sixth among cornerbacks over the past two years; meanwhile, Peterson has finished no higher than 16th. More stats here.

PP is riding the lingering excitement over his athleticism from the 2011 draft and his punt returns his rookie year. His coverage skills have not been close to elite. I'll keep it to the "shutdown corner" topic, but his returning averages have gone down, and when the opponent runs the ball, PP becomes Passive Peterson, so those don't really factor into any "elite player" conversation.

Peterson's statement that his job is more challenging serves more as an excuse for his average stats than a reason to be considered more valuable than Sherman.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Peterson would be better off working on his aim at the toilet.
To be the best, he has to beat the best.
Like (the Browns), Haden, Peterson is hoping to get a oversized payday, without even having earned it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2f1tcagn said:

Who says he's not good? We're arguing facts based on stats and what we've seen. To me, it isn't a ridiculous statement to say Peterson isn't an elite CB yet. I don't recall anyone, from any fanbase, making a lot of noise about Peterson being a "shutdown corner" until he started opening his mouth recently. It seems like you're just being contrarian for the sake of it. If you want to start a debate, then make an argument in his favor.

Personally, I've noticed people here will gladly give great players from other teams a ton of respect when it's due. I doubt you'll find anyone here who would say a bad word about Navarro Bowmen or Robert Quinn, even though they play for division rivals.