Pass Interference and replay

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The point I have tried to make is that there is NO WAY in hell that at least a couple of those refs didn't see the PI and/or Helmet to Helmet plain as day. Yet, they magically don't throw the flag.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3o2hzdxb said:
The point I have tried to make is that there is NO WAY in hell that at least a couple of those refs didn't see the PI and/or Helmet to Helmet plain as day. Yet, they magically don't throw the flag.

You keep trying to blur the line between corrupt and incompetent, and there's no blur is what I'm saying.

The refs are incompetent and inconsistent. That ref froze and swallowed his whistle because yes he and the other refs probably were told not to make any game changing calls that decide playoff games...........unlike the regular season where they have no problem throwing 20 flags a game.

That's not the same as some nefarious corrupt pre-determined outcome that the league wants. "the league".............what does that even mean, the league is the other owners. Why would they care who wins?

Everyone on the planet outside of LA and NE wanted to see the Saints and Chiefs in the SB, so these hairbrained conspiracy theories have to go.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tp4sbwc said:
SoulfishHawk":3tp4sbwc said:
Didn't say it was fixed. But this game was GIVEN to the Rams on the worst non call we have ever seen. It's not a conspiracy or a fix, it's just the call gave the Rams a Super Bowl. I'd be embarrassed if I was a Rams fan.

If you're saying the refs "chose" to ignore it, that means you think it was on purpose, as in intentionally didn't call it to benefit the Rams.

Same thing.

Again, answer my question. If you think the league wants certain teams to win, or coach up the refs to call games a certain way, why watch? It's all a sham right, so why waste your time?

Why does it have to be "The League" that fixed it that way? Why can't it be an individual ref that either wanted it that way or just plain has his head up his ass (the more likely scenario)?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3tveozh4 said:
I hate seeing people arguing against penalty review on the basis that it will stop the game all the time. Nothing in any of the conversation about penalty review says coaches will get more uses of the red flag. They still get 2 challenges, and a bonus one if the other two are upheld. That's it. They won't be throwing the flag on holds on Gronkowski every play because they can't.

Yet Steve DelVecchio uses it as an argument against referees making the right call. He now has the credibility of a turnip. Congratulations, Steve DelVecchio for being an asshat. What a stupid article.

The much bigger reason you can't have it is what I stated above.. How exactly are you determining what constitutes PI in a slowed down review type situation?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They saw it, and chose to not call the obvious. I don't care what part of the game it is, that was blatant. And it cost the Saints the Super Bowl. In what world is that ok?

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Iv'e always thought you should still only get 2 challenges but everything should be reviewable
Hardly anyone saw Vinnie testaverde keep us out of the playoffs cuz we were blacked out then but that was the call that reinstated replay , after that I was convinced Refs should be taken out of the game and more electronic devices should be used cuz
REFS SUCK

It wasn't as bad as the non call last week
JM2C
Go Hawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3rcnpu3c said:
Sgt. Largent":3rcnpu3c said:
SoulfishHawk":3rcnpu3c said:
Didn't say it was fixed. But this game was GIVEN to the Rams on the worst non call we have ever seen. It's not a conspiracy or a fix, it's just the call gave the Rams a Super Bowl. I'd be embarrassed if I was a Rams fan.

If you're saying the refs "chose" to ignore it, that means you think it was on purpose, as in intentionally didn't call it to benefit the Rams.

Same thing.

Again, answer my question. If you think the league wants certain teams to win, or coach up the refs to call games a certain way, why watch? It's all a sham right, so why waste your time?

Why does it have to be "The League" that fixed it that way? Why can't it be an individual ref that either wanted it that way or just plain has his head up his ass (the more likely scenario)?

Far more sensible answer then "it's rigged."

I don't even think the refs themselves could tell you if they have some deep seeded/subconscious bias that makes them reach for their flag or not within that split second.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seeing someone getting crushed early, w/the ball in the air...... w/the defender having his back to the ball AND a pretty obvious helmet to helmet? That's one way to get them to grab their flags.
Call it whatever you want. I call it an obvious non-call that cost the Saints a Super Bowl. Doesn't seem that hard to figure out.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":qu1eapc5 said:
DomeHawk":qu1eapc5 said:
Ambrose83":qu1eapc5 said:
SoulfishHawk":qu1eapc5 said:
The Refs CHOSE to ignore it. Strange coincidence that their precious LA team, with a new stadium on the way is magically in the Super Bowl. Not a conspiracy at all, just reality that they chose to ignore the most obvious call in playoff history. Wasn't even close, and the Saints should be playing next Sunday.

Just stop.... They had the ball first in ot man.... That missed call didn't lose then,the game... Settling for field goals in the first half, rushing for 50 yards, turning the ball over AND not scoring in OT lost that game ... Not one call . good lord .

Totally perplexing how some people cannot admit the obvious.

It's the world we live in now.

You tinfoil hat dudes still haven't answered my question....................if you think sports is fixed, or keep puking up these insane conspiracy theories, why do you watch and invest your time and emotion in sports?

Cause it makes no sense. If the sport is corrupt and the outcomes are pre-determined by nefarious pre-determined outcomes, why watch?

You are responding to my response which had absolutely NOTHING to do with "conspiracy theories."

The response was addressing the obvious point that the play cost the Saints the game.

Reading comprehension will take you a long way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2zdmldbn said:
Sgt. Largent":2zdmldbn said:
DomeHawk":2zdmldbn said:
Ambrose83":2zdmldbn said:
Just stop.... They had the ball first in ot man.... That missed call didn't lose then,the game... Settling for field goals in the first half, rushing for 50 yards, turning the ball over AND not scoring in OT lost that game ... Not one call . good lord .

You tinfoil hat dudes still haven't answered my question....................if you think sports is fixed, or keep puking up these insane conspiracy theories, why do you watch and invest your time and emotion in sports?

Cause it makes no sense. If the sport is corrupt and the outcomes are pre-determined by nefarious pre-determined outcomes, why watch?

You are responding to my response which had absolutely NOTHING to do with "conspiracy theories."

The response was addressing the obvious point that the play cost the Saints the game.

Your quote also involved two poster's comments, and your response was vague and didn't make it clear what you were even saying, let alone who it was directed at........or directed at anyone at all.

How to quote and write clear comments will take you a long way.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":2zdzykn5 said:
DomeHawk":2zdzykn5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2zdzykn5 said:
DomeHawk":2zdzykn5 said:

Your quote also involved two poster's comments, and your response was vague and didn't make it clear what you were even saying, let alone who it was directed at........or directed at anyone at all.

I will grant you that it may have been a little vague but in no way did I reference anything about conspiracy theories. If that is what you wanted to address you should have quoted someone who was a actually addressing that.

Seymour

Reaction score
DomeHawk":fvylo3r9 said:
Sgt. Largent":fvylo3r9 said:
DomeHawk":fvylo3r9 said:
Sgt. Largent":fvylo3r9 said:

I will grant you that it may have been a little vague but in no way did I reference anything about conspiracy theories. If that is what you wanted to address you should have quoted someone who was a actually addressing that.

Doesn't matter. Fold that tin foil over the dome and just be happy you have a voice to be heard. :sarcasm_off: :twisted:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":165or25g said:

Listen, sometimes I get lazy.

I see a crazy post, my mouth starts frothing, I black out, wet my pants and when I wake up the masterpiece retort is submitted.

Did people tell Michelangelo how to paint? Rodin how to sculpt? The Captain and Tennille how to write music? I'd appreciate a little more respect around here people, don't wait until I'm gone to appreciate my genius.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16dggjbq said:
DomeHawk":16dggjbq said:

Listen, sometimes I get lazy.

I see a crazy post, my mouth starts frothing, I black out, wet my pants and when I wake up the masterpiece retort is submitted.

Did people tell Michelangelo how to paint? Rodin how to sculpt? The Captain and Tennille how to write music? I'd appreciate a little more respect around here people, don't wait until I'm gone to appreciate my genius.

Maybe you could be more at peace if you volunteer some time with Jville to deliver some meals on wheels? :snack: :lol:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1im4luhb said:
KiwiHawk":1im4luhb said:
I hate seeing people arguing against penalty review on the basis that it will stop the game all the time. Nothing in any of the conversation about penalty review says coaches will get more uses of the red flag. They still get 2 challenges, and a bonus one if the other two are upheld. That's it. They won't be throwing the flag on holds on Gronkowski every play because they can't.

Yet Steve DelVecchio uses it as an argument against referees making the right call. He now has the credibility of a turnip. Congratulations, Steve DelVecchio for being an asshat. What a stupid article.

The much bigger reason you can't have it is what I stated above.. How exactly are you determining what constitutes PI in a slowed down review type situation?
The exact same litmus test that already exists with regard to replay: Clear and indisputable visual evidence. If it is questionable as to whether or not the contact prevented the receiver form catching the ball, then the challenge fails. If, however, there is clear contact prior to the arrival of the ball that had a direct impact on the receiver's ability to catch the ball, then "clear and indisputable visual evidence" is satisfied.

flv

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3vbem524 said:
flv":3vbem524 said:
seahawkfreak":3vbem524 said:
Even if pass inference was reviewable it still wouldn't have helped the Saints. It was a non call, that will never be reviewable.
That's a really good point.
You can throw challenge flags on incomplete passes, incorrect spots. Why would you not be able to throw a challenge flag for that?
Theres no rule as it stands, how could someone say it cant be reviewable
The NFL has refused to adjust replay rules in line with the consensus opinion of NFL fans AND official NFL team suggestions to the rules committee. Teams have asked for PI to be reviewable. It could be reversed where the DB doesn't make contact until after the ball arrives. Teams have asked for hits on a defenseless player to be reviewable. Penalties could be reversed if the player doesn't make contact with the head and neck area. Teams have asked for a 3rd challenge where 1 challenge has corrected a clear and obvious mistake but the 2nd challenge has failed, not because it was wrong, but because it wasn't clear and obvious on the game film. These things are not contentious but the NFL has steadfastly rejected them.

Contact between receiver and defender whilst the ball is in the air does not automatically constitute pass interference. It becomes a judgement call some time after contact is made. What you're asking for is an unnamed offiical miles away to overrule a judgement call of a known official on the spot. Since the NFL won't change clear errors it's not going to change subjective calls. If the league won't move an inch it's unrealistic to suddenly expect it to move a mile. You may eventually get that mile, but you'll only get it inch by inch.

Changing clear errors can be done by anyone, near or far. Changing judgement calls by an unknown official miles away isn't going to increase accountability to fans.

flv

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3sd5z8ou said:
Rams fans aren't embarrassed. Rams fans didn't make the no-call...and the Rams didn't cheat or play dirty. Most Rams fans acknowledge it was the wrong officiating decision. Most Rams fans will happily shrug their shoulders and accept a piece of good fortune for what it is. If the Rams beat the Patriots on the worst no-call of all time...well... we'll get over it. ;)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
flv":2hke9w4c said:
Uncle Si":2hke9w4c said:
flv":2hke9w4c said:
seahawkfreak":2hke9w4c said:
Even if pass inference was reviewable it still wouldn't have helped the Saints. It was a non call, that will never be reviewable.
That's a really good point.
You can throw challenge flags on incomplete passes, incorrect spots. Why would you not be able to throw a challenge flag for that?
Theres no rule as it stands, how could someone say it cant be reviewable
The NFL has refused to adjust replay rules in line with the consensus opinion of NFL fans AND official NFL team suggestions to the rules committee. Teams have asked for PI to be reviewable. It could be reversed where the DB doesn't make contact until after the ball arrives. Teams have asked for hits on a defenseless player to be reviewable. Penalties could be reversed if the player doesn't make contact with the head and neck area. Teams have asked for a 3rd challenge where 1 challenge has corrected a clear and obvious mistake but the 2nd challenge has failed, not because it was wrong, but because it wasn't clear and obvious on the game film. These things are not contentious but the NFL has steadfastly rejected them.

Contact between receiver and defender whilst the ball is in the air does not automatically constitute pass interference. It becomes a judgement call some time after contact is made. What you're asking for is an unnamed offiical miles away to overrule a judgement call of a known official on the spot. Since the NFL won't change clear errors it's not going to change subjective calls. If the league won't move an inch it's unrealistic to suddenly expect it to move a mile. You may eventually get that mile, but you'll only get it inch by inch.

Changing clear errors can be done by anyone, near or far. Changing judgement calls by an unknown official miles away isn't going to increase accountability to fans.
Sure it will. The ultimate goal is to get the call right, and that is the accountability the fans want. If there is clear and indisputable visual evidence for or against a penalty, the get the call right so the integrity of the entire game isn't brought into question.

Latest posts