Our OL was good, wrong, great against Steelers

toffee

Reaction score
OL
How about 145 pass blocking snaps, allowed 1 pressure (a hurry), PFF rated our OL 84.5, highest in the league, we're #1!!! Our OL was also 86.5 5th in NFL for run blocking.
  1. Cross
    Pass block: 23 snaps no pressure
    Overall: 72.2
  2. Lewis
    84.2 Pass block, not a typo, it's pass block
  3. Bliythe
    overall - 62
  4. Haynes
    91.1 run blocking, led the league.
  5. Lucas -
    Run blocking 83.4
    Pass block 78.1
    Overall 82.4
  6. Curhan - 40 snaps
    run block 81.1
  7. Forsyth
    run block 77.5
    pass block 84
    overall 80
When was the last time the weakest offensive lineman's PFF was 62? How does that help our offense?
Geno: PFF - overall: 84.5, passing: 81, running: 68
Lock: PFF - overall: 69.3, passing: 66, running: 62.6

I think our RBs benefited too.

Last edited:

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Just a few more weeks and we can see some real action
hope they sack the heck oughta run around russ and run it down their throats
gonna be a lot more fun as we have some rotational depth now when the big boys take over
Yes I know squaelers run d sucks but that part at least was nice to see

balakoth

Reaction score
OL
How about 145 pass blocking snaps, allowed 1 pressure (a hurry), PFF rated our OL 84.5, highest in the league, we're #1!!! Our OL was also 86.5 5th in NFL for run blocking.
  1. Cross
    Pass block: 23 snaps no pressure
    Overall: 72.2
  2. Lewis
    84.2 Pass block, not a typo, it's pass block
  3. Blight:
    overall - 62
  4. Haynes
    91.1 run blocking, led the league.
  5. Lucas -
    Run blocking 83.4
    Pass block 78.1
    Overall 82.4
  6. Curhan - 40 snaps
    run block 81.1
  7. Forsyth
    run block 77.5
    pass block 84
    overall 80
When was the last time the weakest offensive lineman's PFF was 62? How does that help our offense?
Geno: PFF - overall: 84.5, passing: 81, running: 68
Lock: PFF - overall: 69.3, passing: 66, running: 62.6

I think our RBs benefited too.
Gotta love PFF... ROFL

balakoth

Reaction score
Did Walker get hurt why did we see nothing but Dallas last half?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Didn't Geno get sacked like 37 times in that first three-and-out?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Didn't Geno get sacked like 37 times in that first three-and-out?
IF and a big if our OL could play at the same level for an entire season, this would be the top ranked OL in the league. As is with super small sample, Cross and Lucas both flashed, their run block wasn't a liability. Haynes showed that he could be a legit starter, and Lewis' pass block also improved. Our weakest link was the center, according to PFF, he was league average in this one game.

I am happy with our OL.

Jac

Reaction score
I thought Cross looked bigger than what I recall during the draft. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I thought Cross looked bigger than what I recall during the draft. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks.
Noticed the same thing! Ok, who took the vid game controller and maxed out all his physical attributes?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Noticed the same thing! Ok, who took the vid game controller and maxed out all his physical attributes?
Interestingly, I recall reading somewhere that Cross was the athletic type of LT like Duane Brown, that lack bulk. I for one would be happy if Cross can have Brown's type of career.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Interestingly, I recall reading somewhere that Cross was the athletic type of LT like Duane Brown, that lack bulk. I for one would be happy if Cross can have Brown's type of career.
Cross is weird. He actually didn't test extremely well. He's got long arms, but a middling wingspan. He plays much more athletically than he tested - he's incredible at mirroring rushers, and he's so savvy with his hand and footwork.

Duane definitely developed that bulk as he went on, Charles is gonna develop the old man strength too.

I remember one clip that I can't find upon just a quick browse of Charles getting beat, and then basically teleporting back in front of the edge with perfect balance and anchor. Was so damn good.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It's his hands that sets him apart. He just doesn't let go. And he has the agile footwork to adjust to the rusher while locking him up.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It is a shame that we couldn't keep Brown around to teach the finer points of the game to the rooks, but perhaps he isn't a teacher.

Either way, I firmly believe that, barring injury, come the end of the season, our offensive line will be rated higher than Denver's, and it won't be our weakest link.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Cross is weird. He actually didn't test extremely well. He's got long arms, but a middling wingspan. He plays much more athletically than he tested - he's incredible at mirroring rushers, and he's so savvy with his hand and footwork.

Duane definitely developed that bulk as he went on, Charles is gonna develop the old man strength too.

I remember one clip that I can't find upon just a quick browse of Charles getting beat, and then basically teleporting back in front of the edge with perfect balance and anchor. Was so damn good.
Long arms with so so wingspan? Sounded like his more thick than wide around the chest and shoulder? But he coulda fool me, as he looked like someone with very wide shoulders.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
It is a shame that we couldn't keep Brown around to teach the finer points of the game to the rooks, but perhaps he isn't a teacher.

Either way, I firmly believe that, barring injury, come the end of the season, our offensive line will be rated higher than Denver's, and it won't be our weakest link.
or too expensive a teach? that and Duane was a bit of a vocal guy, some would say complainer :)