After 4 games: #7 in offense, #11 in defense

toffee

Reaction score
PFF opined that the Hawks climbed from #13 to #9 after the Giant4 game. We are particularly good at special team #2, receiving #4, run defense #2, and rushing #5. The run defense ranking was a nice surprise.

Our Passing game moved from #9 to #7, yet our pass blocking downgraded from #13 to #20. Similarly, Our Rushing moved from #14 to #5, yet our run blocking downgraded from #10 to #22. Our coverage still sucks according PFF, improving slowing, from #30 to #24.

WkRecordOverallOffensePassPass blkgRecvRunRun blkgDefenseRun DefTackPrshCoverageSpecial
10-1 Rams
21-1 Lions#23 (66.1)#3 (74.4)#11 (72.8)#21 (62.7)#30 (51.7)#11 (66.8)#5 (80)
32-1 Panthers#13 (73.9)#4 (75.8)#9 (74.1)#13 (68.8)#3 (75.3)#14 (75)#10 (64.6)#25 (60.9)#8 (69.7)#20 (52.2)#12 (71.3)#30 (49.6)#2 (86.3)
43-1 Giants#9 (81.1)#7 (76)#7 (76)#20 (62)(#4 (75.1)#5 (82.1)#22 (65.7)#11 (73.4)#2 (77.9)#18 (56.3)#6 (77.2)#24 (63.2)#2 (84.5)

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Yup Hawks indeed need many players in the trenches to return healthy and they can really tighten up the play on both sides of the ball.

In the meantime though the depth players on the OL/DL receiving reps is invaluable and will be great for moving forward.

kidhawk

Reaction score
If we can just get the defense healthy, we might be able to be a near top ten D.

We can't seem to keep our starting DBs on the field. The longest we've had our starting DBs on the field was the first 9 play last night. Even if you remove Adams from the equation (which is fair), they still haven't been able to be out there as a full unit. With our run defense being much improved, a healthy defensive backfield I think puts us in good shape to become a top 10 defensive unit by year's end.

I expected some struggles early with the young guys and new vets coming together, but didn't expect the amount of injuries we've seen thus far. All in all, I think they are doing a pretty good job. I really would love to see these guys get and stay healthy. They could end up being quite a strong unit for us.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I love stats and I hate stats. The eyeballs test doesn’t add up to those rankings. We’re on the right track though. Use the TE’s, get JSN in space, use Charb more, blitz on defense and play press aggressively again. PC hates giving up big plays, but that’s happening anyway. Be aggressive and attack. We’re going to get hit with big plays regardless.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
PFF is totally subjective, I have spoken to one their staffs and this is how it works: three of their analysts watch a game together a few times and evaluate every player played in that game. The result then elevated to senior analysts for approval and amendments. I only use PFF as all analytics are somewhat subjective so I use data from one company just to keep it apple to apple. PFF is not end all and be all, just that it's convenient for me.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
We come out of the bye significantly healthier and continue to improve consistently, congratulations, your Seahawks have closed the old rickety wooden superbowl window that wouldn’t quite close, and have had a new, green, dual pane Super Bowl window installed, and you can make out a shiny Lombardi waaaay out in the distance… lol

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Jones is a damn good runner, he's been doing that for a while. His decision making is a totally different story.
They won by 3 touchdowns and played pretty sloppy on offense.

I'll take it. I don't need the "we won....but" takes.

morgulon1

Reaction score
We are top 10 in all media ranking:
Thanks for the data. You're right, it is subjective to human bias but it appears they've improved in some of the areas they needed to. 4 games in with several players being injured just makes it that much sweeter. I still think they're 1 season away but I would gladly admit to being wrong as I don't know shit about football.

Go Seahawks!!! Let's ride !

chrispy

Reaction score
Thanks for the data. You're right, it is subjective to human bias but it appears they've improved in some of the areas they needed to. 4 games in with several players being injured just makes it that much sweeter. I still think they're 1 season away but I would gladly admit to being wrong as I don't know shit about football.

Go Seahawks!!! Let's ride !
To me, the pass-defense rankings stick out. I think there were some real problems in the earlier games, possibly solely because of Woolen being out, possibly because of new players in new places. However, the low pass-D from MNF seems like it's a result of being ahead and giving up so much underneath...soft not press coverage. There were, obviously, some poor defensive plays, but (to me) there was a noticeable improvement in the competency of pass-D from CBs Monday.

evergreen

Reaction score
that Giants game will skew the stats. its ok Dallas got them so did the niners. sure was a nice break though!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Considering all the injuries thus far on both sides of the ball I'd say we're doing very well.

Looking forward to getting all the starters on the field at the same time. We may never see that but getting 90% of them back sure would be great.

morgulon1

Reaction score
To me, the pass-defense rankings stick out. I think there were some real problems in the earlier games, possibly solely because of Woolen being out, possibly because of new players in new places. However, the low pass-D from MNF seems like it's a result of being ahead and giving up so much underneath...soft not press coverage. There were, obviously, some poor defensive plays, but (to me) there was a noticeable improvement in the competency of pass-D from CBs Monday.
Agreed.
I think it goes hand in hand with more sacks. They say this is a game of inches but it's more a game of milliseconds.
A QB having to hang on to the ball just a half of second longer because of great coverage makes all the difference in the world to a pass rusher.