Our franchise LT has become a liability

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2s7krm41 said:
I don't know how anyone can say an injured Okung is better than Alvin Bailey..

We know he's better cause he's the one on the field.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Okung is garbage. It's time to replace him. Scary reality is that we don't have anyone better.

This needs to be his last year with the team. He has proven that we cannot depend on him. No resigny for left tackle money.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
He looked really bad last night. When he drops his head, he whiffs. They could of called holding on him numerous times. Hope they have/find a plan B.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how far Okung has dropped off in a 1 1/2 years. He went from a pro bowler to a guy most wouldn't put in the top 10 in left or right tackles in the league.

I have to believe his injures are starting to catch up to him and unless he can start to get healthy and have some luck with avoiding injures over the next two years I can't see the team trying to keep him at free agency time. I truly believe the team went after a guy like Garry Gilliam as a possible replacement in two years. He has huge upside from what all the coaches have said and I think the team is looking at sleeper picks like him to learn on the go (playing here and there, watching and bulking up for the NFL game) over the next 2-3 seasons and upgrade the O-line.

Jville

Reaction score
1. I think we have already seen our "once in a lifetime" Walter Jones.

2. The selection of the exceptionally athletic Garrett Scott along with the plan B signing of Garry Gilliam was evidence of the organizations continuing interest in developing competition at left tackle.

3. Gone are the days of an uptempo ... pass first ... pocket quarterback. This offensive line, like the offense overall, is in transition.

kearly

Reaction score
Okung is a below average tackle right now, and he looked below average before he was injured in the Denver game.

He's been a good player in the past, but I think the Okung we've seen in 2014 is probably closer to the player going forward than the pro bowler of 2012.

Seattle has been obsessively stockpiling tackles for some time now. They openly admitted that they were looking for an unnamed OL to fall to them with their first pick in 2013, and then with their 2nd rounder in 2014, they took Britt. They've also drafted multiple tackles late and in UDFA both those years. Bowie, Bailey, Gilliam, Scott.

Expect that to continue. Seattle is going to keep churning through tackles until they find Okung's replacement. It couldn't be any more obvious that Okung is not in their 3 year plan right now.

That's not to rag on Okung, but he's expensive, he's injured a lot, and now you can add to that the fact that he's been a slightly below average player this season. It only makes sense that Seattle would be looking at life after Okung.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2t5mujdl said:
Liability? No. A truly bad OT is a liability. Is he the Wilson, Sherman, Thomas, Lynch, Harvin of his position group? No. Unfortunately for him, that's the standard he has to live up to among this fanbase (along with the Big Walt comparisons).

Okung was sub par through the first 3 weeks, and was a liability this week at Washington

PFF had him at 37th overall amongst all RT and LTs before yesterday night.

You can't bring up the comparison to Paul McQ in fairness because McQ is a below average guard...of course a below average guard is going to get murdered by Robert Quinn and Jake Long... I'm saying, we need to replace him with an average LT (where okung is playing currently), but at a fraction of the salary so we can keep guys like KJ/Wagner/Lynch next year.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3iowi4yz said:
Pie Romania":3iowi4yz said:
I think we need to stop letting Cable pick HIS guys...

Cable's "guys" are Carp, Sweezy and Britt. Carp and Sweezy are becoming a dangerous and nasty OG duo. Britt is holding his own as a rookie, especially in the run game. Okung was a no-brainer pick in 2010 and Unger was from the prior regime.

This is not the best argument..

1) Carp was a 1st round pick. Has been injured most of the time and the biggest bust OLINE pick we've made. it's only after we decided not to extend him early that he decided he wanted to get paid and started applying himself for his next contract. Even with Carp playing well, he's still...well Carp (TDs taken back last night, and one missed snap call to Unger).

2) Sweezy was a 7th round draft pick. Sure, I'll give Cable all of the developmental 7th round picks he wants. Just not the 1st rounders.

3) Britt looks the part thus far, but it's quite early to tell.

4) You are forgetting we used a 2nd round pick we used on Jon Moffitt who was a mega bust.

There is NO question Cable is a master developer. The problem is he's just as likely to take a 2nd rounder and develop him the same way as a UDFA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":1ke9hmzq said:
There is NO question Cable is a master developer. The problem is he's just as likely to take a 2nd rounder and develop him the same way as a UDFA.

That's confusing, he's developed far more high picks than UDFA's. Talent is talent, even Cable knows that.

A more fair criticism of Cable is why is he such an amazing zone run scheme teacher, but doesn't seem to know how to teach good pass blocking.

Not sure if there's ever been a team that has a bigger disparity of skill between run blocking and pass blocking. We are absolutely dreadful at pass blocking, and have been since Pete and Cable got here.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
To be fair, on one of his holds he prevented Wilson from taking a huge blindside hit. Yes, he was beaten on that play, but I'll take the 10 yards if it means less wear-and-tear on our true franchise player.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
lukerguy":2matw0uu said:
4) You are forgetting we used a 2nd round pick we used on Jon Moffitt who was a mega bust.
IIRC, Moffitt was a 3rd rounder.

AgentDib

Reaction score
At this point does it really matter why Okung is playing poorly? Injury is only persuasive excuse if you see the injury as a fluke that the player will move past in the future. It also doesn't excuse his mental mistakes which have been numerous the last two seasons.

chet380

Reaction score
Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda -- n/w/s my dislike of hindsighting, it looks like the Richardson RD 2 pick could have been better utilized on a OT.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chet380":21hckkc8 said:
Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda -- n/w/s my dislike of hindsighting, it looks like the Richardson RD 2 pick could have been better utilized on a OT.

You're aware that OT they would have picked over Richardson would likely have been Justin Britt right?

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lwrr1yc said:
lukerguy":2lwrr1yc said:

That's confusing, he's developed far more high picks than UDFA's. Talent is talent, even Cable knows that.

The biggest "win" cable has ever had thus far is JR Sweezy. There were groin pains, but he is arguably our best lineman at this point. We used a 7th round pick on him. I would also argue that Bailey is starter material and was a UDFA.

Carp, moffit, Britt were 1st, 3rd, and 2nd respectively...

Carp and Moffit were both busts, Britt is TBD. My point again.... I believe Cable is just as likely to develop a 7th round as he is a 2nd rounder.

daveman918

Reaction score
Watched some replays. He looks gimpy on some plays. If he's hurt and trying to get leverage/advantage because of it then he'll get penalties (jumping a bit early, etc.).

WendellWent

Reaction score
lukerguy":dwiozbrc said:
Sgt. Largent":dwiozbrc said:
lukerguy":dwiozbrc said:

The biggest "win" cable has ever had thus far is JR Sweezy. There were groin pains, but he is arguably our best lineman at this point. We used a 7th round pick on him. I would also argue that Bailey is starter material and was a UDFA.

Carp, moffit, Britt were 1st, 3rd, and 2nd respectively...

Carp and Moffit were both busts, Britt is TBD. My point again.... I believe Cable is just as likely to develop a 7th round as he is a 2nd rounder.

I hate groin pains.

Latest posts