On the blocked punt for a TD, why is no one...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Talking about the fact that almost all the Packers players on the field just stood there after it was blocked, and they weren't even tilting their heads up to look for the ball, while three 49ers players swarmed to it, recovered, and ran it in?

That is so far beyond shameful, it almost defies words to adequately describe. I'm scrolling through Twitter and people are crapping on the Packers ST unit, rightfully so, but not talking about this particular aspect of this play.

Rodgers obviously sucked tonight (I love it :179417: :179417: :179417:), but an entire group of ST Packers players not pursuing a blocked punt is just mind-boggling to me. It's like Cam Newton not diving for that fumble in the Super Bowl, but multiplied to almost all 11 Packers players on the field. It should be impossible for the five closest players to where a ball popped high in the air comes down at to all be on the same team, haha.

Here's the play. Also, it was only very lightly snowing, I don't buy that as an excuse; three 49ers players swarmed toward it quickly.

(Not embedding it because the NFL blocks that.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHk-stBnoIo

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":36yf7bu7 said:
Talking about the fact that almost all the Packers players on the field just stood there after it was blocked, and they weren't even tilting their heads up to look for the ball, while three 49ers players swarmed to it, recovered, and ran it in?

That is so far beyond shameful, it almost defies words to adequately describe. I'm scrolling through Twitter and people are crapping on the Packers ST unit, rightfully so, but not talking about this particular aspect of this play.

Rodgers obviously sucked tonight (I love it :179417: :179417: :179417:), but an entire group of ST Packers players not pursuing a blocked punt is just mind-boggling to me. It's like Cam Newton not diving for that fumble in the Super Bowl, but multiplied to almost all 11 Packers players on the field. It should be impossible for the five closest players to where a ball popped high in the air comes down at to all be on the same team, haha.

Here's the play. Also, it was only very lightly snowing, I don't buy that as an excuse; three 49ers players swarmed toward it quickly.

GB pretty much sleep walked thru the game outside of the first scoring drive.
They seemed disinterested most of the game IMHO.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hgwellz12":23bui8zd said:
Facts. Their ST coach gotta walk home. ST's are CRUCIAL in the playoffs.
Not much of a walk; Green Bay is small and flat. More punishment needed. ;)

Actually, I take that back; being forced to live in Green Bay is punishment enough.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hdou2hn said:

I've watched the play a few times now.

NOBODY on the field knew where the ball was. Niner players didn't see it till it hit the ground.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":24fbswtl said:

NOBODY on the field knew where the ball was. Niner players didn't see it till it hit the ground.
I just watched it again, pausing and resuming a bunch. Some of the 49ers players were looking up before it hit the ground, and body language by several of them was also much more urgent. Not one Packers play looked up for the ball, or indicated any urgency in body language whatsoever, until well after it hit the ground. Those are the two aspects I find absolutely inexcusable.

What, you don't?

94Smith

Reaction score
Also inexcusable to only have 10 players on the field for the game winning fg. And the blocking on the fg block was terrible

Somos doces

Reaction score
Marvin49":30at3ezs said:

Seconded. I saw this as the flukiest of fluke plays.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7kogkg4j said:
Marvin49":7kogkg4j said:

I just watched it again, pausing and resuming a bunch. Some of the 49ers players were looking up before it hit the ground, and body language by several of them was also much more urgent. Not one Packers play looked up for the ball, or indicated any urgency in body language whatsoever, until well after it hit the ground. Those are the two aspects I find absolutely inexcusable.

What, you don't?

It's inexcusable not to have urgency at any point. I just think that its possible players didn't know what had happened. Certainly not defending the Packers. :)

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Several 49er players that are rushing the punter are facing the punter & know it was blocked.

Packer players are looking away from the punter & it would only make sense that it would take longer for them to find the ball since they don't necessarily know the punt was even blocked.

Football is such an easy game watching it on TV.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":ltz80lc6 said:
Several 49er players that are rushing the punter are facing the punter & know it was blocked.

Packer players are looking away from the punter & it would only make sense that it would take longer for them to find the ball since they don't necessarily know the punt was even blocked.

That statement carries so much weight on this board. Most here have no idea how much.

evergreen

Reaction score
Such a good point! Probably only a couple packets even knew it was blocked!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1i5mm4k0 said:

So, how many other clips have you seen of not one single player on one of the teams realizing that the punt was blocked?

NINEster

Reaction score
A lot of energy on this issue.

OP is suggesting the Packers would have somehow recovered this punt and advanced it for a first down? Why else would it matter so much? They're not like your team when the Niners last played the Hawks in Candlestick and blocked a punt and your guy got to it, and kicked it forward with no penalty. :!:

Ultimately, the punt was blocked, SF was going to get the ball and most likely punch it in with a TD.

I'm not going to suggest you think the 49ers were SUPER LUCKY in that moment, because if you want to go down memory lane, just let me know. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NINEster":yt41tdwm said:
A lot of energy on this issue.

OP is suggesting the Packers would have somehow recovered this punt and advanced it for a first down? Why else would it matter so much? They're not like your team when the Niners last played the Hawks in Candlestick and blocked a punt and your guy got to it, and kicked it forward with no penalty. :!:

Ultimately, the punt was blocked, SF was going to get the ball and most likely punch it in with a TD.

I'm not going to suggest you think the 49ers were SUPER LUCKY in that moment, because if you want to go down memory lane, just let me know. :irishdrinkers:
No, I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm simply saying I think it's incredible that all the Packers just casually stood there on a blocked punt and didn't react until after several 49ers did. You can clearly see several 49ers with urgent-looking body language knowing something happened and then immediately pursuing the ball upon landing.