Olu Oluwatimi

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
May be, but unlikely has Pete's job was on the line. If Olu was better, Pete would or should play Olu.
I don't get what you mean by "better". The option to have the player continue to develop very well may have been the better option for Olu.

If you watched the video, you'd see some film on him. He definitely looked better in those cuts. There likely others where he didn't play as well. So more time learning and growing his a feasible thing to do and still make the right choice.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath. There's a reason why he dropped to the 5th round and 154th overall. Olu didn't have enough snaps to qualify for a PFF ranking, but at a 53.1 overall rating, he had one of the lowest scores for centers in the league.

His big bugaboo is run blocking, and combined with the fact that we don't have any returning starters at guard, we have a heck of a hole to fill in the interior of the offensive line. It's the biggest weakness on our team.

Olu didn't play very much last season, a little over 100 snaps and not enough for us to get a good gauge on his potential. Perhaps Olu will step up in his sophomore season, but at this point, I see very little evidence to be optimistic that he's the answer to a 7-year problem at the center position.
Yeah, I gotta somewhat agree.

If he’s so good why did Evan Brown play most of the year?

We’ve heard alot of positive things about Olu and I’m not discrediting his potential but what was the purpose of playing Brown so much? The only way to see what you have in a player and further develop him is throw him into the fire and play him. If Olu was hurt, I get that, but if he was healthy, and had all this talent, you need to play him to see what he can do. Possibly, made a bad move in acquiring Brown and “had to” play Brown cause of the contract he was getting paid but that kind of thinking didn’t matter when Flynn was dumped for Wilson and I don’t see why they didn’t just bite the cost and play Olu if he’s so talented over Brown instead???

It’s just inconsistency along the thinking of the Seattle brass.

You should always play your best players, no matter, if they are drafted, undrafted, make the max contract or the minimum contract.

But Olu wasn’t played for whatever reason and Brown was.

The jury is still out and I hope Olu is great cause that’s one less position Seattle would have need to make a pick on, if he is, but we’ll see….

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I might be all alone on this, if Olu can man the Center position, I like the idea of drafting Troy Fautanu and let him battle for LT with Cross, loser is LG. I'm not sold on Cross @ LT. I dont think he has enough lead in his shorts, and gets man handled & walked back into the QB against stronger/bigger DE's. With Cross going into year 3 and nearing an extension, im not sure Cross is worth $20+ mil a year @ LT? Bradford is hardly backup worthy, I know he was only a rookie and can improve, but the dude is slow, you can't fix that, any good DT just has to get him to lean one way, and he can't recover quick enough to stay centered up on the DT, a good swim or pull & rip, and Bradford is left blocking air.
I also agree with this with Cross.

Cross, doesn’t strike me as worthy of being the star left tackle. He has just played adequate. Not equaling the value he was picked at. Somewhat an average year. Though Cross can definitely get better going into his junior year, I’m not sure if the ceiling is high for Cross.

I would redraft Fautanu and just like you said, let them battle it out for LT and the loser goes to LG or if you can trade Cross (if Cross gets beat out) you may be able to get at least a second round pick for him.

I’ve watched a lot of UW games and Fautanu is more athletic than Cross is. The ceiling is way higher for Fautanu than Cross is right now but that’s just my take thus far.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, I gotta somewhat agree.

If he’s so good why did Evan Brown play most of the year?

We’ve heard alot of positive things about Olu and I’m not discrediting his potential but what was the purpose of playing Brown so much? The only way to see what you have in a player and further develop him is throw him into the fire and play him. If Olu was hurt, I get that, but if he was healthy, and had all this talent, you need to play him to see what he can do. Possibly, made a bad move in acquiring Brown and “had to” play Brown cause of the contract he was getting paid but that kind of thinking didn’t matter when Flynn was dumped for Wilson and I don’t see why they didn’t just bite the cost and play Olu if he’s so talented over Brown instead???

It’s just inconsistency along the thinking of the Seattle brass.

You should always play your best players, no matter, if they are drafted, undrafted, make the max contract or the minimum contract.

But Olu wasn’t played for whatever reason and Brown was.

The jury is still out and I hope Olu is great cause that’s one less position Seattle would have need to make a pick on, if he is, but we’ll see….
I never heard anything about Olu being injured. He never showed up on an injury report and suited up for every game.

Agreed about Evan Brown vs. Olu and playing the best player regardless of draft and/or contract status. What was it that Pete used to say? Always compete? Brown was one of the worst centers in the league and Olu couldn't beat him out. Certainly, there's a learning curve to be expected when a player makes the jump to the next level, but nevertheless, Olu has not shown us any indication that he's ready to take that next step.

Olu had a boat load of awards coming out of college, won the Outland and Rimmington Trophies, consensus All American, played for one of the best schools in the nation, yet he dropped to the middle of the 5th round. Why?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I might be all alone on this, if Olu can man the Center position, I like the idea of drafting Troy Fautanu and let him battle for LT with Cross, loser is LG. I'm not sold on Cross @ LT. I dont think he has enough lead in his shorts, and gets man handled & walked back into the QB against stronger/bigger DE's. With Cross going into year 3 and nearing an extension, im not sure Cross is worth $20+ mil a year @ LT? Bradford is hardly backup worthy, I know he was only a rookie and can improve, but the dude is slow, you can't fix that, any good DT just has to get him to lean one way, and he can't recover quick enough to stay centered up on the DT, a good swim or pull & rip, and Bradford is left blocking air.
I hate both of them at guard and wouldn't just hand the left guard spot to either one. They're both far better suited to tackle.

Guard isn't just a spot for failed tackles. That transition isn't a gimme. That thinking is just as Cable-esque as conversion prospects.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I also agree with this with Cross.

Cross, doesn’t strike me as worthy of being the star left tackle. He has just played adequate. Not equaling the value he was picked at. Somewhat an average year. Though Cross can definitely get better going into his junior year, I’m not sure if the ceiling is high for Cross.

I would redraft Fautanu and just like you said, let them battle it out for LT and the loser goes to LG or if you can trade Cross (if Cross gets beat out) you may be able to get at least a second round pick for him.

I’ve watched a lot of UW games and Fautanu is more athletic than Cross is. The ceiling is way higher for Fautanu than Cross is right now but that’s just my take thus far.
Cross hasn't played horribly and is far from a bust, but neither is he living up to his top 10 draft status. Being drafted as high as he was, Cross should be playing well enough to be in the Pro Bowl discussion. Currently, he's an average to below average LT.

In my mind, this is Cross's make-or-break season. It will be his third year as a starter and the excuses are going to start wearing thin.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I hate both of them at guard and wouldn't just hand the left guard spot to either one. They're both far better suited to tackle.

Guard isn't just a spot for failed tackles. That transition isn't a gimme. That thinking is just as Cable-esque as conversion prospects.
I agree with this. If we need a guard, then draft or sign a guard. Don't hold the position open as a fall back spot for busted tackles.

Scout

Reaction score
A lot of teams draft collegiate tackles to kick inside because they tend to be athletic enough to move with agility but may lack the length needed to be a tackle at the NFL.

Given that the Hawks have uncertainty along the interior and uncertainty at the tackle spots drafting an OT to kick inside is a very good move as it covers your bases in two ways.

Now will JS do that?

Will JS evolve his draft approach toward the OL position? JS likes taking OL in the 4th round which is fine if you need to have for depth or developmental prospects. But for a player to step in year 1 along the OL you need to use higher draft capital.

Cross is the only OL drafted higher than the third round in a long time. Bradford, Olu, and Lucas are fantastic value relative to where they were drafted but right now only Lucas is the only players firmly entrenched as a starter with the other two have the potential to step in. But JS drafting Bradford and Olu a year earlier despite being drafted in lower rounds shows the team had a plan to develop and have them step in at some point. But even with Bradford and Olu you still have a hole at the other guard spot?

So this is where JS is truly going to be tested as a GM. JS tends to favor skill positions in higher rounds looking at dynamic talent but drafting a trench player higher than normal might be in the cards if JS wants to break away from his mold and common pattern (eg 2nd round).

For a little tidbit the last time the Hawks drafted an OL in round 2 was Britt back in 2014. So based on this JS will only draft tackles high if he feels he has a starting spot that needs to be filled immediately or very soon like within a year.

So like I said drafting an OT that can kick inside but also play OT in a pinch is probably something JS should consider to evolve as a decision maker.

To further elaborate here is how the skill positions look on paper:

QB: Smith, Howell
RB: Walker, Charbonnet, McIntosh, Kobach
WR: Metcalf, Lockett, JSN, Bobo, Young, Shenault, Eskridge
TE: Fant, Brown, Mabry
Edge: Mafe, Taylor, Nwosu, Hall
ILB: Baker, Dodson, Thomas, Rhattigan
CB: Jackson, Brown, Woolen, Witherspoon, Burns
DB: Jenkins, Love, Wallace, Bryant, Reed, Sutherland

JS loves drafting skill positions high but RB is saturated and not likely the team draft a RB high. Same with WR but it is a deep draft and the new return rules means RB and WR are in play in mid to late rounds. JS loves drafting RBs and WRs so he will draft both spots at some point.

TE, ILB and QB look thin and this is where the team may use high capital to address these spots.

Defensive backfield is stacked with talent and honestly I would be surprised if the team draft a boundary or nickel CB in any point in the draft. But drafting a safety that can come down in the box and be a sure tackler is higher probability given the team doesn't have certainty at the position long term.

So this draft is setting up where JS can take a shot at OL much higher than where he normally drafts (eg 3rd or 4th round). But it is up to him to pull that trigger.

JS could go OL in first round but trading down and then using extra picks to fortify OL while still adding more talent at skill positions seems more likely.

Now, if there is a player they like that falls into their lap at 16, like Verse, they might pull the trigger despite the heavy investment at the position.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The belief that a player is trash because they weren't world beaters in their limited rookie opportunities is pure silliness. Especially at a cerebral position like center.
Who said that Olu was anything close to being "trash"? It certainly wasn't me. You're over dramatizing the comments being made.

The OP suggested that Olu was a "steal" and the counter point being raised by some of us is that he hasn't shown, at least to Yours Truly, any evidence that he's going to develop into a reliable, solid starting center. That doesn't mean that I think he's going to be a bust, just that I don't sign onto the optimism expressed in the OP.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
There's no reason to think he can't be as good as brown was this upcoming season imop. Now with that being said if he is than he will be more than serviceable in the future.

12forlife

Reaction score

So your comfortable with paying Cross $20+ mil a year to be our starting LT for the next 4-6 years? I'm not ok with him long term, for that kinda money imo.

Scout

Reaction score
So your comfortable with paying Cross $20+ mil a year to be our starting LT for the next 4-6 years? I'm not ok with him long term, for that kinda money imo.
It depends upon how he plays this upcoming season in my opinion. Also if cap costs is a concern then JS will draft an OT in round 1 or round 2 step in year 1 as a rookie to maximize rookie contract when the time comes if they let Cross walk.

BASF

Reaction score
In the past, Carroll preferred playing a guy who "got it" even if their backup was better physically. It is entirely possible Olu was not up to the speed of the NFL yet. I have high hopes for him. He should win the starting job this season. Hopefully he makes the pro bowl in year three or we will start hearing about him being a wasted draft pick.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
There's no reason to think he can't be as good as brown was this upcoming season imop. Now with that being said if he is than he will be more than serviceable in the future.
Being as good as Evan Brown isn't a very high bar to clear. Olu needs to be significantly better than Brown if we are to consider him the answer to what has been a revolving door at the position.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I never heard anything about Olu being injured. He never showed up on an injury report and suited up for every game.

Agreed about Evan Brown vs. Olu and playing the best player regardless of draft and/or contract status. What was it that Pete used to say? Always compete? Brown was one of the worst centers in the league and Olu couldn't beat him out. Certainly, there's a learning curve to be expected when a player makes the jump to the next level, but nevertheless, Olu has not shown us any indication that he's ready to take that next step.

Olu had a boat load of awards coming out of college, won the Outland and Rimmington Trophies, consensus All American, played for one of the best schools in the nation, yet he dropped to the middle of the 5th round. Why?
Olu did have an elbow injury early in the season. Perhaps it lingered?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-play-in-second-preseason-game-due-to-injury/

As for the draft position you may be reading too much into that. Afterall look at Metcalf.

https://www.axios.com/local/seattle/2023/06/05/olu-oluwatimi-seattle-seahawks-draft
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1773963/bumpus-seattle-seahawks-starting-center-is-on-the-roster/
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1762...h-on-seattle-seahawks-rookie-c-olu-oluwatimi/

https://12thmanrising.com/posts/regrading-seattle-seahawks-2023-draft-one-year-later-01htng6n7keb/3
It would be easy to give Oluwatimi a lower grade because he failed to earn more snaps as the season went on even though the starter at center, Evan Brown, was not playing very well. This could simply have been a coaching decision and not wanting to rely on the rookie. The Michigan product graded higher in pass protection, according to Pro Football Focus, than did Brown, however. Oluwatimi is the presumed starter heading into 2024.

The center position requires more than just blocking. Centers are responsible for most of the adjustments at the LOS. That's not something you want to rush someone into.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
In what world does me not endorsing moving him to left guard mean I'm endorsing signing him to a 20+ million APY extension?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Olu did have an elbow injury early in the season. Perhaps it lingered?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-play-in-second-preseason-game-due-to-injury/

As for the draft position you may be reading too much into that. Afterall look at Metcalf.

https://www.axios.com/local/seattle/2023/06/05/olu-oluwatimi-seattle-seahawks-draft
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1773963/bumpus-seattle-seahawks-starting-center-is-on-the-roster/
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1762...h-on-seattle-seahawks-rookie-c-olu-oluwatimi/

https://12thmanrising.com/posts/regrading-seattle-seahawks-2023-draft-one-year-later-01htng6n7keb/3

The center position requires more than just blocking. Centers are responsible for most of the adjustments at the LOS. That's not something you want to rush someone into.
An elbow injury that lingered throughout the season? Sounds about as serious as a broken fingernail. I wonder why they didn't tape an aspirin to it. Surely you can find a better excuse than that.

The comparison with Metcalf isn't relevant. Metcalf was playing in the shadow of AJ Brown on a very mundane college team in the form of the Mississippi Rebels while Olu was playing for a CFB playoff team and had garnered an armload of post season awards. Metcalf was truly a diamond in the ruff, Olu was an All-American and a first or 2nd day pick in any other circumstance.

And yes, I'm fully aware of the complexities of the center position, but thanks for reminding me.

12forlife

Reaction score
In what world does me not endorsing moving him to left guard mean I'm endorsing signing him to a 20+ million APY extension?
Because he was a #9 overall pick. He isn't a great LT. So instead of just letting him walk after next year, why not see if he could man the LG position? I'm just saying he might be able to fill an oline position without having to use more draft capital while trying to fill out this roster with + starters.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Because he was a #9 overall pick. He isn't a great LT. So instead of just letting him walk after next year, why not see if he could man the LG position? I'm just saying he might be able to fill an oline position without having to use more draft capital while trying to fill out this roster with + starters.
It doesn't make sense given his playstyle and his current set of strengths and weaknesses. His general problem is anchor. This isn't conductive to success at a position that requires even more anchor.

With that being said, he is a 9th overall selection and he's played generally competent football in terms of pass protection. I'd much, much, much rather stay the course and see how he develops, ESPECIALLY under Grubb with his OL-based background and record of shitting out stud tackles left and right.

I bet the Giants are glad they didn't move Thomas to guard, and he sucked a lot worse than Cross did at first.

Why are we trying to ensure the failure of Charles Cross and blow another first on his replacement instead of just continuing to develop him? Creating holes at LT and then filling them with our premier asset isn't great process.