Okung Conundrum In 2016 On Display Today

Jville

Reaction score
I think of Okung as a wild card. He is his own agent. He was rumored to have peaked up around 350 lbs during the fat man era while carrying a roster listing of 325lbs. He is currently listed at a better fitting 310lbs. Who can say what or where Okung wants to play in terms of weight, scheme, and style. At left tackle, the NFL is his oyster.

Right guard is much more affordable. Given the turn over at center and right tackle, continuity at right guard would be beneficial. Gilliam will find his best playing weight in 2016 and center will be up for grabs again next year. Losing two starting linemen for a second year in a row elicits dark visions of disaster.

Avoiding the loss of both Okung and Sweezy would be a welcomed off season goal.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Why does everyone think things would have been any different if Okung was in yesterday? He does the same stupid crap that Baily does and has been embarrassed by people he shouldn't have been this year. He has played so far under his draft expectations it's sad. Not only that, I'm willing to bet the mortgage that he is going to ask for Trent Williams type money and he is isn't even in the same ballpark as him.

We've been overpaying him for 6 seasons and hasn't even played a full one of them. If he asks for a fair deal than fine bring him back.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1wfrlgro said:
What do you folks think it will take to keep him? 9 mil per for 5 yrs?

With how the market for left tackles are I would say at least 11m a year if not a bit more and roughly 35% of his contract guaranteed.

So roughly 5 years 55m with close to 20m guaranteed. ( figure the hawks would rather it be 4 years but I can see Okung settling for no less then 5 years)

Tical21

Reaction score
Having no left tackle means strip-sacks and QB's hit from the blindside. No thank you. Gotta sign him. Can't sign Sweezy.

ZornwasaleftY

Reaction score
Saw this guy mocked to us next year in a recent mock draft:

Seattle Seahawks: Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

The Seahawks almost have to upgrade their offensive line, don't they? Russell Wilson was constantly running for his life earlier in the season. Seattle has since made some great adjustments, but the front office still has to look at improving the blocking.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I don't think we can afford him. My gut feeling is he is looking for 10-11m. Maybe draft or sign a cheaper guy and get a upgrade at center. Being good has its costs.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SuperFreak":bju8tldo said:
Good points, wouldn't mind them getting a LT in the draft but we haven't hit on a lot of offensive line picks in the Carroll era.

Yeah, ya know, with all those high draft picks we've had.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":38ltlw6l said:
Why does everyone think things would have been any different if Okung was in yesterday? He does the same stupid crap that Baily does and has been embarrassed by people he shouldn't have been this year. He has played so far under his draft expectations it's sad. Not only that, I'm willing to bet the mortgage that he is going to ask for Trent Williams type money and he is isn't even in the same ballpark as him.

We've been overpaying him for 6 seasons and hasn't even played a full one of them. If he asks for a fair deal than fine bring him back.

Blah, blah, blah. The same crap Bailey does, as in all of the obvious stuff that comprises just a fraction of actual OL play? I'd put dollar to dogganut the OL would have played much better with him in, from a communication and knowledge standpoint alone. Oh, and there is all of those plays (quite a few of them) that happen in-between the false starts/occasional holds where he consistently outperforms Bailey. Argue from an injury standpoint, and it makes more sense.

BailEy has an E in it, by the way.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Okung is going to get paid. All you have to do is listen to sports shows around the country, and Okung's name is one of the first ones brought up when they talk about who to get to fix the O-line.

We give Okung a hard time because of the injuries, but completely underestimate how hard it is to find a decent LT. Okung is a good tackle when healthy. And the drop-off at LT when he is out is significant. Those games when he is healthy are worth it even if he misses a few games a year.

Jville

Reaction score
Okung's unfolding story has all the makings of spontaneous theater.

It surely will get emotional, turn personal and become very ugly around here.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1jkitq8s said:
seahawkfreak":1jkitq8s said:

Blah, blah, blah. The same crap Bailey does, as in all of the obvious stuff that comprises just a fraction of actual OL play? I'd put dollar to dogganut the OL would have played much better with him in, from a communication and knowledge standpoint alone. Oh, and there is all of those plays (quite a few of them) that happen in-between the false starts/occasional holds where he consistently outperforms Bailey. Argue from an injury standpoint, and it makes more sense.

Sorry I didn't know this was an English class. I know "blah, blah, blah" and telling me I misspelled something is an attempt to discredit me but it's pretty lame. Anyway, when Okung plays bad, he plays really bad and he does get hurt a lot. I did make that point by the way. I'm not buying paying him top tier money just because we don't have an immediate replacement. I haven't heard anyone argue he's worth that much, just that we need him. I'd rather get a LT that may be not as good but much much cheaper.

Since your so brilliant why don't you explain what the hell a "dogganut" is

Tical21

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":ruut8fxq said:
HawKnPeppa":ruut8fxq said:
seahawkfreak":ruut8fxq said:

Sorry I didn't know this was an English class. I know "blah, blah, blah" and telling me I misspelled something is an attempt to discredit me but it's pretty lame. Anyway, when Okung plays bad, he plays really bad and he does get hurt a lot. I did make that point by the way. I'm not buying paying him top tier money just because we don't have an immediate replacement. I haven't heard anyone argue he's worth that much, just that we need him. I'd rather get a LT that may be not as good but much much cheaper.

When has he played really bad when healthy?

He's worth 10-11 million, although he very likely gets more than that.

Yes, you pay him because he's a left tackle, because he's pretty good, because you don't have an immediate replacement, and most importantly, because you just entrusted the future of your franchise in your QB. Left tackle is the second most difficult position to replace in the NFL. It's tempting to save the money, sure, but I've seen the alternatives, and not many of them end with Russell Wilson walking away from the carnage.

Jville

Reaction score
The political campaigning has begun ..... before the season has played itself out.

This is going to be rich. :D

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Tical21":3p1wv26c said:
seahawkfreak":3p1wv26c said:
HawKnPeppa":3p1wv26c said:
seahawkfreak":3p1wv26c said:

When has he played really bad when healthy?

He's worth 10-11 million, although he very likely gets more than that.

Yes, you pay him because he's a left tackle, because he's pretty good, because you don't have an immediate replacement, and most importantly, because you just entrusted the future of your franchise in your QB. Left tackle is the second most difficult position to replace in the NFL. It's tempting to save the money, sure, but I've seen the alternatives, and not many of them end with Russell Wilson walking away from the carnage.

Yup lot of people said the same thing about the Jay Cutler signing

Largent80

Reaction score
The position is one of the most important on the team, therefore = $$$.....The Hawks have to pay him and draft OL.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I will say this about the Okung debate............I believe anyone that thinks Gilliam will be a capable replacement at LT for Okung is very much mistaken. From what I've seen he rarely is effective one on one and got owned this last game.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I believe Okung has decided to represent himself in negotiations and is sans agent. I wonder whether this helps or hinders the chance of getting a good deal done?

Latest posts