Official response going into next season.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think if there hadn't been a total horseshit PI call on Kam this topic never even exists.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2dk0zu8r said:
By all means it was a catch in almost every sense of the word in the rule books, the only people who really doubted it was those who jumped on the media bandwagon to get back the regular officials watching the same replay that made it look like a interception and Packer faithful.
Bingo.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1fec5dx5 said:
Catch. Tate didn't have his hands on it first, but once he got both hands on it both feet and even his arse was down when the DB only had one foot down.

People need to stop talking about who had their feet down first. It makes our fan base look ignorant, because if you'd actually take the time to read the rules and the casebook you'd understand that it had no bearing on the call made (nor should it).

RichNhansom

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20ye4jvc said:
pinksheets":20ye4jvc said:
Yet we blame the refs who have to react instantaneously to a mob of people playing flyer's up with multiple people having hands on the ball.

I love how Tirico so quickly and passionately condemned the replacement refs when he himself called it "SIMULTANEOUS!" as the play unfolded in real time.

Yeah that is something I always get a chuckle at. I couldn't remember the name of who said "is it a simultaneous catch?" Then goes on to bash the call. Maybe it wasn't as cut and dry as GB fans would like you to believe.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
ivotuk":uvn4sj7u said:
Archer":uvn4sj7u said:
By the current rules, it was an interception. However, logically I think it should be a catch. Possession in bounds should matter.

Incorrect. If you believe this is true, state said rules and explain the ruling. Remember, the replay booth did NOT turn the call over.

There was a very good explanation about the catch.

And what is up with Brock Huard and Danny O'Neill still calling it "Fail Mary?" What idiots! Like I said last time, it's "Wail Mary" because of all the people that are still crying over it.

AND, take away the bogus call that benefitted Green Bay and gave them a TD on the previous drive, and all this would be moot. The only reason anyone is talking about this is because it was the LAST bad call in a game filled with them.

Edit: And, if Seattle would have beat Buffalo on such a play, no one would care...

This is a good example of my point earlier. Tons of proof it was a simultaneous catch provided here and anywhere you look and then some still make comments like "by the rules it was an interception" yet can't provide any rule that explains it or any breakdown that supports that opinion.

What gives? I can say the moon is made of cheese but that doesn't make it true.

And Ivo I can't agree with you more are Brock and Danny. They are promoting the controversy instead of stifling it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It was a catch..

There is an argument that Tate had no control, for which I ask, then why couldn't Jenning just pull the ball away?

Simple answer, Tate had the ball.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
It was simultaneous. You can't have possession with just one foot down. Until Jennings puts his other foot down, the ball is still alive and Golden Tate had every right to establish possession, which is what he did in wrestling to get his other hand on the ball, pulling it to his chest. At the end of the play, both players had possession, therefore the tie goes to the offense and we win the game.

Some of you are confusing your own perception of the play with what the actual NFL rules are. You need two feet down in order to establish possession.

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
my humble (and long-winded) opinion...

In real time both players came down tied up with the ball...with Mike Tirico even saying "Simultaneous Catch" and remember it was ruled on the field as a touch down.
In slow motion replay, nobody could agree who actually had possession. and almost a year later, lots of controversy but still no clear answer...
I didn't see enough evidence that it was a green bay possession, nor did I see that Golden had clear possession...
What I did see (in my own pretty thorough reconstruction/research and analysis) was that Tate had his hand in in solid contact from behind the ball (between the ball and the GB player chest) and brought his other hand to it as they fell to the ground.
but at the end of the day...if it is not ruled incomplete and you cannot determine inconclusively which player has possession...by default it is a "Simultaneous Catch" and it goes to the offense.

So yes it was a tough way to end a game for the GB fans, but it was the "right" way to end it. Mostly I think the GB fans are butt-hurt because Golden shoved off (and vocally denied it later) to get to the ball, but I'm amazed at how the GB fans (and players) were such poor sports about it. I had a bet for a bottle of wine on that game with a friend who is a GB fan and he would not even pay on his bet (and still hasn't). And I'm still ticked at how the sports media handled it...they made Seattle out to be the villain when they had no control of the referee decision. They are just so used to Green Bay being the new "America's Team" it was a safe storyline for a writer to sell.

So a year later, I am (pretty much) over it. I am so tired of all the haters out there, spun up because of the latest lop-sided bleacher report article or Sherman's latest comment. If anybody says anything to me about how we shouldn't have won that game, I just bite my lip and say "well, I disagree and let's leave it at that (of course accompanied with that "look" that says "take it any further and I will personally kick your a$$").

I say we have a hell of a good team with a rare level of physical "presence" and an elite level of talent and speed. Let's keep our heads down and the blinders on, we're never going to convince 49er, GB or other fan-bases that we are going to the playoffs over their teams, so just focus on what we do, the confidence we have and enjoy the ride. Let the GB controversy, the Harbaugh comments, the ridiculous NFL top 100 ranking, and internet "Cheathawks" comments wash off our backs for now, it will be so much sweeter to hear them acknowledge us later (or when the #3, #24, #25, #31, and the other Seahawks jersey sales spike in the other states and fans are jumping on the bandwagon). It is already happening, I am seeing more Seahawks in promotional clips and teasers on the sports networks and interviews with our players on National Media shows. As my wife tells me, the best revenge is living well. It is going to be a fun year to be a fan and a fun year as we start to hear other fans say "Holy Shi#, those Seahawks are REALLY good"

Oh and maybe Sherman actually IS the best corner, and maybe Browner IS the toughest DB out there that Harbaugh SHOULD be afraid of, and maybe Carroll IS one hell of an NFL coach and maybe Russell Wilson IS going to surprise the hell out of everyone and maybe Beast Mode IS the toughest back to bring down after contact in the league and....I guess we DO have the best Seahawk team we have ever put on the field.

You know those movies that show the bad-ass army who is yet unknown to the enemy, quietly marching forward to the epic battle, with that dramatic background music...

Go Hawks!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2pw614em said:
It was a catch..

There is an argument that Tate had no control, for which I ask, then why couldn't Jenning just pull the ball away?

This. It always amazes me that people think Tate reached in and grabbed the ball after the fact. Jenning never had sole control over the ball. If he had, he would have simply rolled away from Tate. But he didn't. He shared control of the ball with Tate. Shared control = shared possession.

The thing that still drives me nuts about this discussion is the lack of acknowledgement by anybody advocating the interception or "fail Mary" that there was a bias against the temporary officials. Granted, there were a lot of bad calls, but when the regular refs blow a call, the caterwauling never gets as loud as it got then. Hell, Florio was even advocating the NFL overturn the results of the game! (Where the hell was he after SBXL*?)

The other thing that drives me nuts is that they showed every camera angle except the one most closely approximating the view of the ref on the field making the call.

sutz

Reaction score
The ref said it was a catch.

/thread

:229031_shrug:

drdiags

Reaction score
This is a Packers fan's cause. They are the ones that will/should agonize over the what if game. The Seahawks got the W. They will not be the first or last to win a game where there was a controversy. The Raiders still claim the Immaculate Reception was bogus, the Ravens win over Seattle with the botch job the officials did in Maryland. The list goes on.

The score is in the record book and will never be changed. The Seahawks will have had 3 games with "The Asterisk" applied by media, other fans or Seahawks fans. XL, Beastquake (first sub-500 NFL playoff participant/winner) and the Green Bay game. All remain as originally recorded. I am sure we can name numerous others (Baltimore game, Houston playoffs ...).

I accept it as a catch. Would have accepted it as an interception if that would have been the call.

Starrman44

Reaction score
All I can say is, if my 2, 3, and 5 year old kids weren't concrete Seahawks fans before that game, they certainly were when Tate fought for that ball and their Mommy and Daddy proceeded to yell, scream, and laugh for the next half hour or so.

Now every morning they try and point out all the Seahawks colors they are wearing. Any shade of blue, green, or gray qualifies to them. In a pinch they'll even point to a tiny thread of white. They are fanatical, now.

I need to get my pic updated with the boys in their current jerseys.

nsport

Reaction score
BlueTalon":85ulrt57 said:
Bobblehead":85ulrt57 said:
It was a catch..

This. It always amazes me that people think Tate reached in and grabbed the ball after the fact. Jenning never had sole control over the ball. If he had, he would have simply rolled away from Tate. But he didn't. He shared control of the ball with Tate. Shared control = shared possession.

The thing that still drives me nuts about this discussion is the lack of acknowledgement by anybody advocating the interception or "fail Mary" that there was a bias against the temporary officials. Granted, there were a lot of bad calls, but when the regular refs blow a call, the caterwauling never gets as loud as it got then. Hell, Florio was even advocating the NFL overturn the results of the game! (Where the hell was he after SBXL*?)

The other thing that drives me nuts is that they showed every camera angle except the one most closely approximating the view of the ref on the field making the call.

I like this point of view... actually I laughed pretty hard after the game absolutely knowing that this would be the straw that broke the NFL's back regarding the replacement refs. I would contend that the replacements were incrementally better in most cases - the obvious flaw was their indecisiveness and speed to make a call - which hurt the speed/flow of the game. BUT... nobody ever comes back and talks about all of the crappy calls made the rest of the season by the supposed professionals... NFL officiating is not very good... period.

cesame

Reaction score
Obviously an interception. Replacement refs blew the call.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2x7ras9v said:
It was simultaneous. You can't have possession with just one foot down. Until Jennings puts his other foot down, the ball is still alive and Golden Tate had every right to establish possession, which is what he did in wrestling to get his other hand on the ball, pulling it to his chest. At the end of the play, both players had possession, therefore the tie goes to the offense and we win the game.

Some of you are confusing your own perception of the play with what the actual NFL rules are. You need two feet down in order to establish possession.
Exactly! :th2thumbs: Its amazing how many people ignore your last sentence.