Notes on the offensive line

kearly

Reaction score
1st unit:

Bailey-Carp-LMJ-Sweezy-Britt

Other than pass rushers cheating the snap count to beat him around the edge, Bailey looked comfortable and competent in pass protection. He showed some nasty in the run game too. His power seems to show up way more when blocking at the 2nd level. If I was a LB I would not want to be blocked by Bailey.

On the second play of the game, a 1-tech DT came straight through the line and contributed to a Wilson sack. Upon further review this sack is mostly on LMJ, who turned his head away from the DT and didn't see him. Carp thought he was getting some center help and was late reacting. Wilson did well to evade the rusher but ended up surrendering a sack despite having some room to run or to escape backwards, I think if that's a high leverage situation in the playoffs Wilson might escape, but since it's the preseason he went to the ground voluntarily to avoid the hit and make up for it on the next play, which he did.

That was the only glaring mistake Carp made that I saw.

Carp looks quicker on his feet than before, no longer is he a plodder. He made several quality blocks at the second level and not once did I see him fail to reach a LB. That's a huge change from last season, though SD's less than athletic LB group probably helped a little. I also noticed that Seattle almost never had pulling guards. Maybe that's something they are saving for the regular season, or maybe they are avoiding those plays since Carpenter struggled at pulls so much last year.

Something I've noticed with Cable is that he likes his lineman to display a lot of upper body strength in the run game. He likes lineman that shove with full arm extension rather than bury a shoulder and drive. Carpenter's upper body strength seemed more effective in this game than before, but that could be because his overall athleticism has improved so much.

LMJ had the aforementioned mental error that got Wilson sacked. He later forgot the snap count on 1st and goal from the 8 when Seattle was running hurry up. Otherwise, he looked decently strong in the run game and non-horrible in protection. There are games when LMJ looks like he could be starter material and a couple mental errors aside, this was one of them.

I would guess that nearly all the muscle JR Sweezy added this offseason went to his upper body. His punch in pass protection is much stronger than before, in fact it might be the strongest punch on the team with Breno gone now. Rarely did he allow a defender to come to him, Sweezy was very aggressive to attack the defender as if executing a run play, even in obvious passing situations.

The ability to attack with upper body strength as if run blocking seems to confuse pass rushers into a period of indecisiveness that lasts a short time. Two-gapping D-lineman are trained to not "guess" a gap on run plays because if they guess wrong and it's a run, it means giving up a big play in the run game. I think getting attacked by an OL, especially with a RB on the field triggers those 2-gapping instincts for D-linemen where they stop what they are doing for a second to assess the situation instead of going balls out for a gap to knife through. When put in these kinds of situations where the DT has to hesitate, Sweezy really shines in pass pro.

As a pure power situation blocker Sweezy has only marginally improved, but on a more typical zone run the upper body strength he's added has really helped him win battles in the run game. His combo blocks with Britt almost always produce impressive results, reminds me some of Unger with Gallery in 2011. "Sweezy + Britt = movement" made my notes over and over again.

Sweezy has probably lost a tiny bit of speed from the weight gain, but he's still a very effective 2nd level blocker and he can move down the line in a hurry. His ability to block down with speed will sometimes open up big cutback lanes like the one Turbin hit for a huge gain (though, that play was mostly on the defense for having the perfectly wrong run defense and Turbin for seeing the cutback.)

In fact, the entire OL looked especially impressive at 2nd level blocking.

The first play of the game was a quick screen pass to Harvin. When he caught it, Sweezy was already 8 yards downfield gunning for the safety. (Lineman are legally allowed to run downfield on passing plays if the pass is caught behind the LOS).

Britt looked a lot better than last week. Like the rest of the starting group his upper body strength really stands out in the run game.

He still had some rookie mistakes in protection. He actually reminds me slightly of 2012 JR Sweezy. There is a lot to like yet also a lot of room to grow. At least in this game, he was a more effective right tackle than Winston was.

Zach Miller was basically our 6th OL. I would guess that he was a dedicated blocker on 80% of his snaps, both in the run game and in pass pro. He had the same results you would expect. Occasionally brilliant, and occasionally he'd get beat in a way that would remind you that he's a mere mortal TE. What's interesting is that he generally lined up on Britt's side but only rarely double teamed an assignment with Britt. The team treated Zach Miller as if he was an extra tackle.

Coleman is an okay pass blocker and we know from last year that he's a good receiver. He's still a terrible lead blocker. I am not seeing development, and I think soon he might lose #1 reps to Kiero Small, who's having a good preseason.

Turbin got a lot of work with the first offense. I was really impressed with his improvement in regards to his ability to resist tackles and keep his balance. He showed a new trick in this game. Whereas before Turbin would always go 100%, now he'll sometimes start at 80% and boost up to 100% to make a defender miss a clean tackle.

2nd unit:

Gilliam-Smith-Schilling-LMJ-Winston

Brock Huard spent too much effort hyping Gilliam, who looked competent, not great. That said, Giliam's size and build are very tantalizing. Purely in terms of his physical appearance, he "looks the part" of an athletic left tackle who could be starting games some day. I can't confirm his arm length but by the eyeball test I would guess average length at worst. He also had a 35" vertical jump, which gives you an idea of the kind of athlete he is (he's a 306 pound former TE). This is not the kind of player you trim off the roster unless you absolutely have to.

Smith and Schilling looked competent in terms of skill but replacement level in terms of ability. Smith has been around a long time and brings experience, but he should probably be a pure backup at the stage of his career.

LMJ looks a lot better at center than he does at guard. It was painful watching him attempt to pull block.

Winston leans too much in pass pro, and lacks power in the run game. His ability to avoid mental mistakes is where I think his value will come from.

Like Smith, Winston is a crafty veteran who's competent but lacks starter level ability. Smith and Winston are good backups to have considering how young the starting OL is.

I am pretty sure the starting RT job is Britt's to lose at this point. And if Gilliam plays well the next two weeks I think Winston becomes expendable. Okung, Bailey, Britt, and Gilliam actually look like a pretty good tackle group at the moment.

Christine Michael, Kiero Small, and Terrell Pryor were featured with the 2nd team OL.

3rd unit:

Brandon-Hauptman-Van Roten-Schilling-Isles

Not really anything worth commenting on from this group. Van Roten had one savvy-vet type play that I remember, but like Smith and Winston he lacks starter ability.

A couple other random observations:

-Seattle appeared to switch to hurry up when reaching the red zone on offense. Or at least they did on their 4th scoring drive.

-On 2nd and goal from the 13, the very next play after Baldwin had "THE SHIT" knocked out of him, Seattle ran a stretch right to Michael which picked up 8 yards. He should have only gained one yard, but Michael has a special ability to disappear in a crowd, especially when that crowd is moving. He seems so perfectly suited for ZBS, I really look forward to the day when he's mastered Cable's system.

-Michael looks so impressive as a pass catcher in the backfield. Every time he catches a checkdown in the preseason it feels like an easy 7 yards. Even if Turbin remains the #2 RB I think the team needs to get Michael at least a few touches a game.

-I liked the way Kiero Small looked on that quick handoff he got on 4th and 1. He's not fast but he's quick. He's just a really good football player, I think I'll be upset if he gets cut in favor of Coleman at this point.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
What I like about Small? He makes somebody pay a heavy price.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Boy, that was a mouthful in the OP. Good breakdown, though.

The OL did play a lot better, but some of that was expected. We were playing at home, so the defense wasn't going to get that split second jump they get with the crowd noise. Also, San Diego's defense is devoid of any significant pass rushers, the best any one of them got last season was 5.5 sacks. They do have Dwight Freeney, but he didn't play.

Having said that, I'm a bit relieved to see the OL play so well together as a unit than they did last week against Denver. They still had their breakdowns, but Russell can usually handle a single breakdown by evading them. It's when he's faced with the multiple, jail break clusters that causes real problems. On running plays, it was apparent that we were getting a good line surge, that the LOS suddenly moves forward 2 yards at the snap. Carpenter looked a lot better, I even saw him throw a block on the second level last night, something he so rarely did in past years that I had to freeze frame it to make sure it was him.

Britt seemed better, but he still needs to learn how to keep his balance. He seemed to do a decent job at run blocking. Bowie is going to have his problems when we go up against some really good DE's, when we start going up against guys like Robert Quinn.

I'll be interested to see how our OL performs in next week's game when we should have Okung and Unger in there for at least a half.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RiverDog":n3agw1oq said:
The OL did play a lot better, but some of that was expected. We were playing at home, so the defense wasn't going to get that split second jump they get with the crowd noise. Also, San Diego's defense is devoid of any significant pass rushers, the best any one of them got last season was 5.5 sacks. They do have Dwight Freeney, but he didn't play.
I thought San Diego did a great job of guessing the snap count, should have been called offsides on about 3 of their pressures.

Besides, in 2013 at least, crowd noise affecting sacks was a bit of a myth. The sack totals for our offense and defense were virtually identical, road or home.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown Kearly. I appreciate you taking the time to watch the o-line and report what you see as well as making some other random "observations" (LOL).

I so far have only watched the first half and that was live Friday evening, but I remember thinking to myself a couple of times that Coleman threw a good block (I think one was in the run game and one was pass pro). Sorry to hear on closer watch you thought his blocking was sub-par.

I really appreciate that you did an entire o-line breakdown. I'm hopeful and somewhat encouraged by the prospect of better o-line play this year and if that were the case it would make our team's offense scary. Especially pleased you generally felt Bailey played pretty well in pass pro as considering Okung's history, it's likely we'll need him for a stretch this year. Anything better than what we saw from McQ playing out of position last year would be wonderful!

I salivated watching Percy. Those quick hitters to him should help slow pass rushes as well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9o07qhb4 said:
What I like about Small? He makes somebody pay a heavy price.
BECAUSE HE'S A BIG GUY, YOU SEE.

Kidding, I like that aspect that we've seen from him now, too.

Kearly, excellent notes. I'm cautiously optimistic that when we inevitably lose one or two starters on the O-line to injury this year, it won't be as devastating as it has been in the past, and maybe - just maybe, Russell can enjoy not getting pressured at a ridiculous rate for the first season in his NFL career.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3476ksbh said:
RiverDog":3476ksbh said:
I thought San Diego did a great job of guessing the snap count, should have been called offsides on about 3 of their pressures.

Besides, in 2013 at least, crowd noise affecting sacks was a bit of a myth. The sack totals for our offense and defense were virtually identical, road or home.

I don't buy that argument, and I'm sure the Packers won't, either, based on their previous trip to Seattle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Agreed with the whole OP except for the Small v Coleman comments. Coleman played well when he was in the game and blocked effectively as a FB. his hands out of the backfield are superior as are his ST abilities. These last two distinguish him from Small and give him the edge for the FB roster spot.

Alll in all the FO will choose the player they think has the higher long term upside and that may be Small but in terms of play so far Coleman looks to be ahead in the competition for the roster spot. Time will tell.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Great write up! Agree 100%.

Thinking that we may see Small and Gilliam (assuming Okung does not play this next week) vs. the first unit some this next week. I am sure the coaching staff needs to see these two battling against starters, or at least non replacement level talent.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I hope Okung & Unger are ready to go next week. I'd love to get a preview of our actual starting offensive line once this preseason.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
kearly":2wx1p4l9 said:
1st unit:

Other than pass rushers cheating the snap count to beat him around the edge, Bailey looked comfortable and competent in pass protection. He showed some nasty in the run game too. His power seems to show up way more when blocking at the 2nd level. If I was a LB I would not want to be blocked by Bailey.

On the second play of the game, a 1-tech DT came straight through the line and contributed to a Wilson sack. Upon further review this sack is mostly on LMJ, who turned his head away from the DT and didn't see him. Carp thought he was getting some center help and was late reacting. Wilson did well to evade the rusher but ended up surrendering a sack despite having some room to run or to escape backwards, I think if that's a high leverage situation in the playoffs Wilson might escape, but since it's the preseason he went to the ground voluntarily to avoid the hit and make up for it on the next play, which he did.

Carp looks quicker on his feet than before, no longer is he a plodder. He made several quality blocks at the second level and not once did I see him fail to reach a LB. That's a huge change from last season, though SD's less than athletic LB group probably helped a little. I also noticed that Seattle almost never had pulling guards. Maybe that's something they are saving for the regular season, or maybe they are avoiding those plays since Carpenter struggled at pulls so much last year.

Something I've noticed with Cable is that he likes his lineman to display a lot of upper body strength in the run game. He likes lineman that shove with full arm extension rather than bury a shoulder and drive. Carpenter's upper body strength seemed more effective in this game than before, but that could be because his overall athleticism has improved so much.

LMJ had the aforementioned mental error that got Wilson sacked. He later forgot the snap count on 1st and goal from the 8 when Seattle was running hurry up. Otherwise, he looked decently strong in the run game and non-horrible in protection. There are games when LMJ looks like he could be starter material and a couple mental errors aside, this was one of them.

I would guess that nearly all the muscle JR Sweezy added this offseason went to his upper body. His punch in pass protection is much stronger than before, in fact it might be the strongest punch on the team with Breno gone now. Rarely did he allow a defender to come to him, Sweezy was very aggressive to attack the defender as if executing a run play, even in obvious passing situations.

The ability to attack with upper body strength as if run blocking seems to confuse pass rushers into a period of indecisiveness that lasts a short time. Two-gapping D-lineman are trained to not "guess" a gap on run plays because if they guess wrong and it's a run, it means giving up a big play in the run game. I think getting attacked by an OL, especially with a RB on the field triggers those 2-gapping instincts for D-linemen where they stop what they are doing for a second to assess the situation instead of going balls out for a gap to knife through. When put in these kinds of situations where the DT has to hesitate, Sweezy really shines in pass pro.

As a pure power situation blocker Sweezy has only marginally improved, but on a more typical zone run the upper body strength he's added has really helped him win battles in the run game. His combo blocks with Britt almost always produce impressive results, reminds me some of Unger with Gallery in 2011. "Sweezy + Britt = movement" made my notes over and over again.

Sweezy has probably lost a tiny bit of speed from the weight gain, but he's still a very effective 2nd level blocker and he can move down the line in a hurry. His ability to block down with speed will sometimes open up big cutback lanes like the one Turbin hit for a huge gain (though, that play was mostly on the defense for having the perfectly wrong run defense and Turbin for seeing the cutback.)

The first play of the game was a quick screen pass to Harvin. When he caught it, Sweezy was already 8 yards downfield gunning for the safety. (Lineman are legally allowed to run downfield on passing plays if the pass is caught behind the LOS).

Britt looked a lot better than last week. Like the rest of the starting group his upper body strength really stands out in the run game.

He still had some rookie mistakes in protection. He actually reminds me slightly of 2012 JR Sweezy. There is a lot to like yet also a lot of room to grow. At least in this game, he was a more effective right tackle than Winston was.

Zach Miller was basically our 6th OL. I would guess that he was a dedicated blocker on 80% of his snaps, both in the run game and in pass pro. He had the same results you would expect. Occasionally brilliant, and occasionally he'd get beat in a way that would remind you that he's a mere mortal TE. What's interesting is that he generally lined up on Britt's side but only rarely double teamed an assignment with Britt. The team treated Zach Miller as if he was an extra tackle.

Coleman is an okay pass blocker and we know from last year that he's a good receiver. He's still a terrible lead blocker. I am not seeing development, and I think soon he might lose #1 reps to Kiero Small, who's having a good preseason.

Turbin got a lot of work with the first offense. I was really impressed with his improvement in regards to his ability to resist tackles and keep his balance. He showed a new trick in this game. Whereas before Turbin would always go 100%, now he'll sometimes start at 80% and boost up to 100% to make a defender miss a clean tackle.

2nd unit:

Brock Huard spent too much effort hyping Gilliam, who looked competent, not great. That said, Giliam's size and build are very tantalizing. Purely in terms of his physical appearance, he "looks the part" of an athletic left tackle who could be starting games some day. I can't confirm his arm length but by the eyeball test I would guess average length at worst. He also had a 35" vertical jump, which gives you an idea of the kind of athlete he is (he's a 306 pound former TE). This is not the kind of player you trim off the roster unless you absolutely have to.

Smith and Schilling looked competent in terms of skill but replacement level in terms of ability. Smith has been around a long time and brings experience, but he should probably be a pure backup at the stage of his career.

LMJ looks a lot better at center than he does at guard. It was painful watching him attempt to pull block.

Winston leans too much in pass pro, and lacks power in the run game. His ability to avoid mental mistakes is where I think his value will come from.

Like Smith, Winston is a crafty veteran who's competent but lacks starter level ability. Smith and Winston are good backups to have considering how young the starting OL is.

I am pretty sure the starting RT job is Britt's to lose at this point. And if Gilliam plays well the next two weeks I think Winston becomes expendable. Okung, Bailey, Britt, and Gilliam actually look like a pretty good tackle group at the moment.

Christine Michael, Kiero Small, and Terrell Pryor were featured with the 2nd team OL.

3rd unit:

Not really anything worth commenting on from this group. Van Roten had one savvy-vet type play that I remember, but like Smith and Winston he lacks starter ability.

-Seattle appeared to switch to hurry up when reaching the red zone on offense. Or at least they did on their 4th scoring drive.

-On 2nd and goal from the 13, the very next play after Baldwin had "THE SHIT" knocked out of him, Seattle ran a stretch right to Michael which picked up 8 yards. He should have only gained one yard, but Michael has a special ability to disappear in a crowd, especially when that crowd is moving. He seems so perfectly suited for ZBS, I really look forward to the day when he's mastered Cable's system.

-Michael looks so impressive as a pass catcher in the backfield. Every time he catches a checkdown in the preseason it feels like an easy 7 yards. Even if Turbin remains the #2 RB I think the team needs to get Michael at least a few touches a game.

-I liked the way Kiero Small looked on that quick handoff he got on 4th and 1. He's not fast but he's quick. He's just a really good football player, I think I'll be upset if he gets cut in favor of Coleman at this point.

277e0-vince-mcmahon-walk.gif

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
SeatownJay":3qfr0a5d said:
I hope Okung & Unger are ready to go next week. I'd love to get a preview of our actual starting offensive line once this preseason.

This.

The word I'm hearing from practice is that Okung needs to get in "football shape". Would love to see him get a series or two before the opener. Maybe in Oakland. Maybe not. Last time we were in Oakland, half our D-line went down with injuries.

j hawk

Reaction score
Thanks Kearly , always look forward to your write ups. I concur with your assessment of the 3 groups and I am hopeful for Gilliam to make the 53. Rooting for Small as well.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I didn't study Bailey as closely last week but I remember him looking pretty automatic in pass pro other than one mistake to Ware. I feel really good about him being our backup LT.

jammerhawk":3kbeufnx said:
Agreed with the whole OP except for the Small v Coleman comments. Coleman played well when he was in the game and blocked effectively as a FB. his hands out of the backfield are superior as are his ST abilities. These last two distinguish him from Small and give him the edge for the FB roster spot.

Alll in all the FO will choose the player they think has the higher long term upside and that may be Small but in terms of play so far Coleman looks to be ahead in the competition for the roster spot. Time will tell.

I like Coleman a lot when it comes to everything but lead blocking.

Robinson would get low and take out a guys legs or clock him, Coleman will manage to do that rarely but more often he is passive and ineffectual. On most plays, Coleman run blocks like a QB, he just kind of gets in the way of the defender rather than try to destroy him. Coleman also looks indecisive in traffic, in past games he's had an issue with picking the wrong target. Small's split second instincts are much more developed and whereas Coleman settles for just getting in the way, Small will actually put a lick on defenders. There are going to be a few plays a season where that type of extra effort can be the difference between a 2 yard run and a 25 yarder.

I would take Coleman over Small as a receiver no doubt, and probably on special teams too. But I think those are probably much smaller considerations than lead blocking effectiveness. Seattle ranked dead last in power run situations last year despite Marshawn Lynch, and Coleman played a substantial role in that ranking.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
One other note that I forgot:

Seattle's starting group ran very few pulls or traps. This could just be preseason tactics to keep things vanilla (they face SD in week 2), or it could be an admission that the team kinda sucked at pull blocking last season. Either way, the run blocking looked very good with the absence of pull blocks.

IIRC, The second team occasionally had pull blocks, but it was somewhat uncommon for them too.

Seattle does not play Chicago in the regular season, plus it's the "tuneup" game, so that should be a much better indicator of how Seattle wants their offense to look this season.

hawk45

Reaction score
Kearly thanks so much for that writeup.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2w65lf9v said:
One other note that I forgot:

Seattle's starting group ran very few pulls or traps. This could just be preseason tactics to keep things vanilla (they face SD in week 2), or it could be an admission that the team kinda sucked at pull blocking last season. Either way, the run blocking looked very good with the absence of pull blocks.

IIRC, The second team occasionally had pull blocks, but it was somewhat uncommon for them too.

Seattle does not play Chicago in the regular season, plus it's the "tuneup" game, so that should be a much better indicator of how Seattle wants their offense to look this season.

I think there is truth to what you say here. Pulling out of your stance and getting to the outside is something not all guards and tackles can do and do it correctly. Being as big as they are its hard to disguise their intention before the snap. You have to approach each line of scrimmage with the same address at the snap. If your not down all the way or have your right foot in a different position , the defense can pick that up and read a sweep. If this is done the next step will be to get outside and become a blocker. This is going to take a person in shape and speed. If ya dont have the speed the back will run right up yur ars. If that scenario happens then you just as well forget the pulling thing. Alot has to do with the match ups. The only one that played friday nite that I would have confidence in the pull would probably be Britt, I like that kid!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great stuff, Kearly.

Count me in on the Kiero Small for starting fullback movement. FWIW, he absolutely obliterated some dude once in run blocking. It reminded me--no shit--of a young Lorenzo Neal.

(That's heavy praise, if you don't know about Neal.)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":18ujzehj said:
kearly":18ujzehj said:
1st unit:

2nd unit:

3rd unit:

277e0-vince-mcmahon-walk.gif
I think that's the most poignant commentary I've seen from you.