Not the all 22 thread but...

purpleneer

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1luyofwo said:
Unfortunately this highlights an issue I see constantly with Bevell's play design.

We send two receivers deep, but both of them are in the same area of the field. Each has two defenders with him, but when the ball is thrown, one of the guys on Lockett moves in to be the third defender on Graham.

I get that having them in the same place helps Wilson to see both routes, but with such a long pass, the defenders have time to adjust to the active receiver, so all this really accomplishes is to send more defenders to the actual receiver. Double-coverage on Graham became triple by the time the ball arrives.

How many times have we seen two or more receivers in the same place when the ball arrives, such that they could fight each other for it?

Wilson can't look off the coverage, because both of his guys are in the same place. Defenders can't tell if he's looking at the shorter or longer option, but what does that matter when the play is far enough down field to allow them to adjust?

I think separating the routes more would give this play a better chance of success.
No offense, but nothing you're saying about this play is right. There are times when Bevell has routes too close together, but this isn't one of them. Graham's route goes to an area cleared out by Lockett and this is as open as a receiver gets in the NFL other than by blown coverage; he is actually uncovered. The design, the call. and the execution are perfect except for the pass, which is very late. Maybe it's from considering Lockett as a target for too long, but that's still poor anticipation and recognition.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This is either Bevell's or Grahams fault. You can tell because Graham isn't even looking for the pass when he's open, he's still trying to reach the point the play was called for. By then it's too late. Wilson can see Graham open, but if Graham's not looking, what good is it? Graham should know to look.

Cartire

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3ms7gyuq said:
This is either Bevell's or Grahams fault. You can tell because Graham isn't even looking for the pass when he's open, he's still trying to reach the point the play was called for. By then it's too late. Wilson can see Graham open, but if Graham's not looking, what good is it? Graham should know to look.

That brings in to question practice, more then it does anything else. Why wasnt this caught while practicing the play? They had to account for the linebackers pulling and falling back with no one in front of them. He may have never been open in the middle our LB's trailing or playing deeper even. His best chance may have been on the sideline against our D. But against Dallas, well they dragged more and left the middle open.

mrt144

Reaction score
Cartire":3o86k4gb said:
SalishHawkFan":3o86k4gb said:

That brings in to question practice, more then it does anything else. Why wasnt this caught while practicing the play? They had to account for the linebackers pulling and falling back with no one in front of them. He may have never been open in the middle our LB's trailing or playing deeper even. His best chance may have been on the sideline against our D. But against Dallas, well they dragged more and left the middle open.

Rapport with RW might make that a throw that happens without the look, but with the trust he'll turn at the right moment, down the road. One hopes.

Tical21

Reaction score
Geez this kinda pisses me off to be honest. This is a cover-3 beater and we got the exact look we wanted. Lockett clears out two deep players and leaves a cavern for Graham. Russell needs to know that this ball is going to Graham pre-snap. Why in the world he looks at Lockett is beyond words for a 4th year starter. He's got to know this pre-snap. High school quarterbacks know this pre-snap. With a single high safety, whether it is cover-3 or man, the defense has dictated that Graham becomes the primary option. We got an absolutely perfect look, called the perfect play, and our QB has no idea what to do with the football. And it's Jimmy Graham. How in the? Who th. Oh boy.

Tical21

Reaction score
Thinking about this, I didn't get this right. With Lockett releasing directly at the safety and Graham running the deep corner, we're dictating that the corner should pass Lockett off to the safety, and jump back back down on Graham, leaving Lockett with an automatic angle advantage on the safety as he heads back to the corner. This is actually kind of a blown coverage by the corner, and it leaves Graham wide open. Russell takes too long to diagnose. Surely, he didn't anticipate the corner being there when he turned around from his playfake, but I don't know why it takes him so long to see that the corner has failed to pass off Lockett, that Lockett is doubled, and it left Graham uncovered.

purpleneer

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":4nrlfzyj said:
It's the NFL. A receiver doesn't need to be looking at the time of release, and it's often necessary that he isn't.

Anthony!

Reaction score
purpleneer":kes6p4gq said:
SalishHawkFan":kes6p4gq said:
It's the NFL. A receiver doesn't need to be looking at the time of release, and it's often necessary that he isn't.

yeah not always and point of note if Wilson throws it and Graham never looks you are complaining he should not have throw it. While I agree a receiver does not need to always be looking when it is released he does need to be looking when he is open.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Cartire":15k2gtbn said:
SalishHawkFan":15k2gtbn said:

It's a great playaction look all around. Does Bevell not understand that it's the LBs who are going to be out of position on PA more often than a deep safety is?

Alexander

Reaction score
Anthony!":cft19g5s said:
purpleneer":cft19g5s said:
SalishHawkFan":cft19g5s said:

yeah not always and point of note if Wilson throw sit and Graham never looks you are complaining he should not have throw it.

Really? You know that's what he would have said?

As a general rule, it's best not to put words into other people's mouths.

For my part, if Wilson throws on time and Graham isn't looking for the pass, I definitely would put the blame on Graham, because he needs to anticipate the throw coming to him when he's open. But I disagree with people who say Graham isn't looking for the ball when he's open. To me, it looks like his head is turned around at the right moment, and certainly well before the ball arrives.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This wasn't on Bevell. He got Graham wide open and Wilson was just a tick too late and a way too lofty with his pass. We only see a performance like that once or twice a year from him, and I'm just glad we got a win out of it.

As the game starts slowing down for Wilson, he'll start making better throws. Cam Newton and Andy Dalton are hitting their stride right now, and they're in their fifth year. Give Wilson some time. That work ethic won't let us down.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":125cn2yn said:
This wasn't on Bevell. He got Graham wide open and Wilson was just a tick too late and a way too lofty with his pass. We only see a performance like that once or twice a year from him, and I'm just glad we got a win out of it.

As the game starts slowing down for Wilson, he'll start making better throws. Cam Newton and Andy Dalton are hitting their stride right now, and they're in their fifth year. Give Wilson some time. That work ethic won't let us down.

Completely agree with the sentiment.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
What if it was suppose to be a deep play, maybe the play goes to Lockett, but then Wilson saw that Lockett was doubled team at the time he was going to throw, and his second option was Graham, but pressure was coming and force Wilson to make a bad throw, if he had seen it earlier Graham would of gotten the reception before he was close to the sideline.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2q7vdhpk said:
What if it was suppose to be a deep play, maybe the play goes to Lockett, but then Wilson saw that Lockett was doubled team at the time he was going to throw, and his second option was Graham, but pressure was coming and force Wilson to make a bad throw, if he had seen it earlier Graham would of gotten the reception before he was close to the sideline.

He's an NFL quarterback. There were two receivers running routes to the same area of the field. He's just got to do better there.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Alexander":3frlsxtl said:
Anthony!":3frlsxtl said:
purpleneer":3frlsxtl said:
SalishHawkFan":3frlsxtl said:

yeah not always and point of note if Wilson throw sit and Graham never looks you are complaining he should not have throw it.

Really? You know that's what he would have said?

As a general rule, it's best not to put words into other people's mouths.

For my part, if Wilson throws on time and Graham isn't looking for the pass, I definitely would put the blame on Graham, because he needs to anticipate the throw coming to him when he's open. But I disagree with people who say Graham isn't looking for the ball when he's open. To me, it looks like his head is turned around at the right moment, and certainly well before the ball arrives.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. While I do agree he has missed some passes and people on that one nope.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Tical21":3rzlin5m said:
Thinking about this, I didn't get this right. With Lockett releasing directly at the safety and Graham running the deep corner, we're dictating that the corner should pass Lockett off to the safety, and jump back back down on Graham, leaving Lockett with an automatic angle advantage on the safety as he heads back to the corner. This is actually kind of a blown coverage by the corner, and it leaves Graham wide open. Russell takes too long to diagnose. Surely, he didn't anticipate the corner being there when he turned around from his playfake, but I don't know why it takes him so long to see that the corner has failed to pass off Lockett, that Lockett is doubled, and it left Graham uncovered.

You got it right. This play is designed to go to Lockett or Jimmy depending on what the corner does. Russell isn't staring down Lockett, he's watching the corner. I don't think the throw was that late as it came a millisecond after it was clear the corner was sticking with Lockett. If Russ had an extra half second of blocking, he steps into the throw and it doesn't float on him and is an easy deep completion. But Hardy breaks free just in time to hurry the pass and force Russ to throw off his back foot. That gives the defense time to catch up to Graham.

My only problems with this play are:
1) It's a long developing play. Bevell has too many of these IMO. Our OL has shown they can't hold blocks very long especially against elite pass rushers.

2) We had two guys on Hardy and couldn't hold him up at all. This wasn't Russ' fault. It wasn't Grahams fault. It was our crappy OL not being able to keep Russ clean even with two guys blocking one.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Graham should have waved his hand if he realized there was an open field in that way any midway adjustments can be made. The QB needs to know if the receiver is going to follow through as designed or if the throw can be adjusted mid point if it gives better leverage for a throw to be made. I know, it is a lot of processing to do, but as a receiver, he can sure look for adjustments if he can get RW's attention on time. I don't know what the original design was, but in the end you take what the defense gives you. I feel as a QB, if you are right handed, throwing towards your right or to the seam is much more easier with higher accuracy than throwing to your left side maybe.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
seahawks08":2mtc7ujr said:
Graham should have waved his hand if he realized there was an open field in that way any midway adjustments can be made. The QB needs to know if the receiver is going to follow through as designed or if the throw can be adjusted mid point if it gives better leverage for a throw to be made. I know, it is a lot of processing to do, but as a receiver, he can sure look for adjustments if he can get RW's attention on time. I don't know what the original design was, but in the end you take what the defense gives you. I feel as a QB, if you are right handed, throwing towards your right or to the seam is much more easier with higher accuracy than throwing to your left side maybe.

If the CB hands off Lockett to the deep safety and covers Graham, there is no open field. Until the CB ran with Lockett past the 50 yd line, Graham could have been covered up in a 3 deep zone. He was only "Wide open" because the CB kept with Lockett (likely not his assignment). That determination could not have been made as early as some of you seem to think it could have been.

Remember the red zone interception against the Niners the other week. Baldwin looked open but it was zone coverage and the CB came off his receiver to pick off the pass because Russ thought it was man coverage. If the corner hands off Lockett he's right there to pick up Graham and pick off the pass.

kearly

Reaction score
Wilson has an above average arm when he needs it. Unfortunately, he hesitated and then chose a touch pass when the situation called for a bullet. If he had thrown a touch pass with anticipation or if he had fired a laser to compensate for the hesitation, he would have been fine. Unfortunately Wilson double-whammied with the hesitation + touch pass. He was lucky it wasn't picked.

I just hope this particular play boils down to trust and chemistry with Graham and will become a thing of the past by next season.