Norwood

Largent80

Reaction score
It is plain to see...(and I just re watched the play on my recording) Norwood is wide open with nobody around him for more than 5 yards. He was open for literally seconds, and RW had plenty of time to pick his target. He simply did not look his way.

GmmoQZI[/quote]

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2628eqh2 said:
[ quote="Anthony!"]
Treghc":2628eqh2 said:
hawknation2014":2628eqh2 said:
Fun fact: Norwood is the only receiver on the roster who has yet to drop a pass. He's also caught all four of the passes thrown his way.

Not according to this:
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

Kearse actually has 0 drops (remember, drops are uncontested. Having a defender force the ball it does not equate to a dropped pass), despite the constant nagging he gets from everyone around here.
Richardson has 0 drops.
Baldwin has 3
Willson has 2
Lynch has 2
Helfet has 1
Lockette has 1
Everyone else has 0

Dude really so the TD drop yesterday is not a drop? Come on 99% of the Wr in the NFL catch that pass. Those stats are great but the key is uncontested. So they are not taking into account catchable balls. only the passes I could catch, meaning wide open no one around you. Kearse has dropped a lot of NFL wr catchable balls. Its a fact almost every week you hear an announcers say it. I like Kearse but this year he is not getting it done at all.

That's a major exaggeration. Kearse has one fewer drop than Baldwin this season. Kearse also had some really nice plays in the last game that you should credit him.[/quote]

I do not think it is an exaggeration at all. I remember at last 3 catchable TD passes Kearse dropped, and that is without going back and looking at all the film. I remember Millan, and Huard both saying the same thing. Please do not get me wrong, I do not think any of our WR are playing well. However Kearse stands out to me because of how he did last year. The only nice catch I remember from Kearse last game was the back shoulder and he and Wilson have done that many times, so it is not like he has not done something out of the ordinary. He caught a great pass, thrown in the perfect spot. However dropping an easy sure TD trumps almost anything he could have done other wise short of catching the game winner. If it makes you feel better okay Kearse made some great catches but was unable to catch the easy sure TD that would have won us the game. Really I mean it was pretty bad drop

sam1313

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1lcqy9uv said:
firebee":1lcqy9uv said:
SomersetHawk":1lcqy9uv said:
Apart from that drop Kearse was pretty useful yesterday, I'd rather he ate into Richardson's snaps given the situations we were putting Richardson in.
You did not watch the same game I did yesterday. Apparently you missed Kearse picking Baldwin off on flat route, instead of picking Baldwins man off. You must've missed him sliding off blocks early and releasing DBs for pursuit in the running game. You've definitely missed him letting off the gas halfway through his routes, instead of staying on the gas and trying to create separation.

You just made all of that up didn't you?

I know he's becoming a popular whipping boy, and some of it's justified, but Kearse is making as many plays as anyone out there and leads us in receiving over the past two weeks. He's a catch and a better thrown ball (last week) away from being raved about on here. He's put up more in the last two games than Richardson has all season and over the past few weeks they've had comparable snappage. For what it's worth I don't think we're utilizing Richardson right, but my point is that if we're taking snaps away from anybody, it probably shouldn't be our most productive receiver of late.

I saw Kearse let up on a route in the end zone a couple of weeks ago and RW's pass sailed 5 yards in front of him because of it. I don't know what he was thinking, but I was pissed. I didn't notice the same thing yesterday, but I can't say I would be surprised by it. Kearse needs to step it up. I want to see more Norwood regardless.

Treghc

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3gi3o7xh said:
Treghc":3gi3o7xh said:
hawknation2014":3gi3o7xh said:
Fun fact: Norwood is the only receiver on the roster who has yet to drop a pass. He's also caught all four of the passes thrown his way.

Not according to this:

Kearse actually has 0 drops (remember, drops are uncontested. Having a defender force the ball it does not equate to a dropped pass), despite the constant nagging he gets from everyone around here.
Richardson has 0 drops.
Baldwin has 3
Willson has 2
Lynch has 2
Helfet has 1
Lockette has 1
Everyone else has 0

That information doesn't look right. Willson definitely has at least one more drop than that. Kearse has two drops, including one big drop of a catchable ball in the last game and one drop against Dallas.

Also, Bryan Walters definitely dropped a screen pass earlier in the season. He was basically uncovered on that 2nd down play, so I don't see how that fits with the definition of "contested."

I would just say their definition is a little whack, to be honest with you.

It is a rather subjective stat, I agree. But it's hard to set a base line with such subjectivity unless it is actually uncontested. You can't exactly measure the newtonian force of impact a receiver gets when being interrupted.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Largent80":1vx1bz21 said:
It is plain to see...(and I just re watched the play on my recording) Norwood is wide open with nobody around him for more than 5 yards. He was open for literally seconds, and RW had plenty of time to pick his target. He simply did not look his way.

GmmoQZI
[/quote]

To be fair to RW, he had Allen Bailey barreling down on him on that play.

That was a rushed decision that he might have made earlier in this season before this funk began. He's playing out of rhythm and the constant pressure is not helping matters.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Treghc":1ndo9yi5 said:
hawknation2014":1ndo9yi5 said:
Treghc":1ndo9yi5 said:
hawknation2014":1ndo9yi5 said:

Not according to this:

Richardson has 0 drops.
Baldwin has 3
Willson has 2
Lynch has 2
Helfet has 1
Lockette has 1
Everyone else has 0

That information doesn't look right. Willson definitely has at least one more drop than that. Kearse has two drops, including one big drop of a catchable ball in the last game and one drop against Dallas.

Also, Bryan Walters definitely dropped a screen pass earlier in the season. He was basically uncovered on that 2nd down play, so I don't see how that fits with the definition of "contested."

I would just say their definition is a little whack, to be honest with you.

It is a rather subjective stat, I agree. But it's hard to set a base line with such subjectivity unless it is actually uncontested. You can't exactly measure the newtonian force of impact a receiver gets when being interrupted.

It's like judging a boxing match . . . part art, part science. I think we can all agree Kearse dropped that ball yesterday.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
KC would love for Wilson to throw the ball to Norwood there. That's the type of Defense that we see the Seahawks play all the time when the clock is winding down to the end of a half: leave a guy open and hope the QB throws to him, then you tackle him and time runs out (#38 would have been able to get to Norwood before he scores).

He looks wide open in this screenshot, but with NFL speed out there, defenders would close on him faster than you think.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Largent80":2vnjafuj said:
ok it was the 6, but he is WIDE OPEN....You have to throw it there.

I can't agree. 12 seconds, no timeouts you have to take the shot to the end zone and allow yourself to at least kick the field goal. If Norwood doesn't get in you are throwing way 3 points.

SC

chawx

Reaction score
Largent80":mnru4ky4 said:

GmmoQZI

There is NO WAY I want Wilson to make that throw and "hope" Norwood can break a tackle (or 3) on the way to the endzone with only :12 seconds on the clock and no timeouts. Maybe Norwood gets in, but IF he gets stuffed, you take 3 points off the board at the end of the half and everyone on .NET is FURIOUS with Bevell, Pete, Wilson, the Playcalling, Norwood, the Blockers downfield, etc.

I'm pretty sure that before that play call, the reason Wilson never looked Norwoods way, was because he was already decided that his throws were to be thrown INTO the endzone so their either caught for TDs or incompletions and the clock stops.

The Kearse "drop"/"GOTTA MAKE THAT PLAY" or whatever you want to call it took 4 points off the board, which was ultimately what we would have needed to have that game yesterday (ie. We don't go for it on 4th and GL from the 2 ...the complexion of the game changes... who knows.)

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":lvnz1zof said:

GmmoQZI
[/quote]

You beat me to it. Guy is wide open at the 6, with no one within 5 yards of him. PLUS, you have at least one WR in the picture between him and the nearest defender. That WR throws one block ,and he's in. That's on Wilson, unequivocally.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":35as0mt4 said:

GmmoQZI

Open yes.. getting into the end zone.. no.

The Chiefs were giving up everything underneath and defending the end zone. Norwood catches that and will be swarmed by two Chiefs in bounds, and you get no points

The play was end zone or bust with no timeouts. Wilson made the right read

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe it was the right read, maybe not; but I've noticed that for some reason Norwood appears to be invisible to RW. There was a play in the Giants game where Wilson threw underneath for a short completion when Norwoood was totally W-I-D-E O-P-E-N in the right rear of the end zone. Something is missing here as I don't get why Norwood isn't being used more. On the above play Norwood could likely have made it to the end zone if RW had lead him a bit to the inside to catch the ball.
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda I suppose.

StoneCold

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3te3924c said:
Maybe it was the right read, maybe not; but I've noticed that for some reason Norwood appears to be invisible to RW. There was a play in the Giants game where Wilson threw underneath for a short completion when Norwoood was totally W-I-D-E O-P-E-N in the right rear of the end zone. Something is missing here as I don't get why Norwood isn't being used more. On the above play Norwood could likely have made it to the end zone if RW had lead him a bit to the inside to catch the ball.
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda I suppose.

I think Norwood is more likely to be the 3rd option on most plays. He may be open but RW has time to look for the first two and then bailing as the pocket collapses.

SC

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Treghc":32qj0vgh said:
hawknation2014":32qj0vgh said:

Not according to this:

Richardson has 0 drops.
Baldwin has 3
Willson has 2
Lynch has 2
Helfet has 1
Lockette has 1
Everyone else has 0

Either your being very liberal with your definition of the word "uncontested" or your looking at the stats from one game.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I like Norwood and I hope he gets a few more plays here and there throughout the rest of the season. I would guess he's a rookie and the team is not going to lean on he and Richardson as much as they will lean on the two vets in Baldwin and Kearse. I really hope he gets in on a few more red zone plays though, he is that big body with great hands the team needs, just saying he would be a great target for Wilson in the back of the end zone.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6dhvxjjk said:
Largent80":6dhvxjjk said:

GmmoQZI

Bullshit, I just watched it 10 times in a row. Norwood scores easily.

Doesn't mean squat now does it?. But #3 better be looking instead of locking.

WE lost an easy 6 right there.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1sfgecg9 said:
Largent80":1sfgecg9 said:

GmmoQZI

The Chiefs were giving up everything underneath and defending the end zone. Norwood catches that and will be swarmed by two Chiefs in bounds, and you get no points

The play was end zone or bust with no timeouts. Wilson made the right read

I just rewatched the play about 17 times in a row and I believe if Russell hits Norwood in stride, he gets in for the TD assuming he's one of those types of players (which we really don't know at this point). There was space though, and he would have had the momentum. BUT I completely get that Russell was going end zone or bust and understand why he wasn't even considering an underneath route. Then again neither were the Chiefs. Oh well.

I heart Bevell pins are $20.20.

And the Kearse would-be TD was definitely a drop. Perfect throw by Russell, Jermaine got his hands up too late and tried to catch it with his chest to no avail.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I hate being the guy that says: IF Norwood was more reliable than Kearse, we'd be targeting him more than Kearse, but sometimes the obvious apparently must be stated.

Norwood was my favorite pick in this draft, and I stated that the day of his selection. The kid is money and everything a scrambling QB could hope for, but I am certain his down time has him a bit behind Kearse. It's not like we gave a 1st, a 3rd, a 7th and a billion dollars for Kearse, so it's not like the staff feels it mandatory to feature him for any reason other than he's (currently) our 2nd, if not best option at the position.

I'd definitely call the incomplete pass in the endzone to Kearse a drop. I think Anthony, certainly in defense of Russ, stated that "99% of the receivers in the league make that catch". Very true, Anthony, but 99% of the receivers in the NFL also drop that ball, as well. Kearse was trying to jockey for position while making sure he had both feet in. It happens and it would be foolish to blame Kearse for the loss.

I will have to focus more on Chop. Too many in here are stating he is going half speed on some routes for it to be false. I have no idea why Kearse, soon to be a RFA, would choose this year to drag his ass. Makes absolutely no sense. Further, if you believe everything you read, most are saying both Baldwin and Kearse have regressed this year. I definitely see a less angry Doug out there, but if both of our top receivers are lacking focus or regressing, I'd say it's quite possible there is more to the story.

On Richardson...I agree, I have no idea why we keep having him run curls. Having watched him closely at CU, I know he's a good route runner, underneath and otherwise, but I find it hard to believe we brought his speed aboard to basically make him a possession receiver. Again, there has to be more to the story. Certainly we know now that they brought him in to replace numbnuts, but sending him deep would clean up for both Baldwin and Norwood, who are more physical and accustomed to and better suited for, curls, slants and underneath to mid level routes. SMH.

I don't see us winning it all this year. I vote we spend the rest of the season getting RW in tune with his receivers, the long ball, stepping up, etc. Get Michael on the field as well. To ignore these steps could very well see us again struggling with the same stuff next year, imo.