niners reveal their strategy to beating seattle

Vetamur

Reaction score
Well, thats absolute genius. Lucky no else this season thought of that.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Despite my feelings on the passing situation, it's the only answer. If you don't take Lynch away, you WILL lose. You have to focus on him.

hawk45

Reaction score
This has been the strategy of every opponent facing the Seahawks this year. Nobody has gone into a game thinking "we can let Lynch get his 100 but we must stop Russell from beating us from the pocket." It's kept a lot of those games close.

Stop Lynch, contain Russell from scrambling/running, force the passing O to convert on 3rd downs.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I view our game has similar requirements to achieve a win. We absolutely need to stop San Francisco's running game. Can't afford to give up a 51 yard run by Gore, or scrambles by Krapperdink either. Stop their running game and make them use the passing game against our amazing secondary. Devensive play and turnovers will be the key to winning this game.

Polaris

Reaction score
Axx":flotl6zd said:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/01/13/whitner-on-49ers-strategy-vs-seahawks-make-the-qb-beat-us/

"To take away marshawn lynch and make the qb beat us" according to whitner

It appears the 49ers now view the passing game as a exploitable weakness?

New Orleans tried that on MNF and succeeded....Lynch only had about 46 yards that day.

I am confident that Wilson and and will win the game for us, if that's how the Niners want to play it, exp with our defense.

Remember too that Kaep has to deal with our defense, and he hasn't yet (at least not in Seattle).

willyum

Reaction score
yea the Saints made that their defense's key in the regular season matchup and Wilson went 22/30 for 310, 3 tds with another 47 on the ground. and last week when they keyed up on containing him, Lynch ran free. Its really difficult for teams to do both when you have a strong running game AND a quarterback than can win

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The master plan of deception is working. Got them right where we want them!

Polaris

Reaction score
hawk45":31hxg6d2 said:
This has been the strategy of every opponent facing the Seahawks this year. Nobody has gone into a game thinking "we can let Lynch get his 100 but we must stop Russell from beating us from the pocket." It's kept a lot of those games close.

Stop Lynch, contain Russell from scrambling/running, force the passing O to convert on 3rd downs.

Almost. I think that New Orleans this last weekend actually did try to shut down Wilson and worry about Lynch second.

That didn't work well either.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Read option run on a keeper, or read option pitch to Percy?

PA bootleg to a TE would be nice also.

The return of Mike Rob and I formation? FB wheel route?

I did like seeing that Percy fly sweep though.

Polaris

Reaction score
lsheldon":1asdrfgb said:
I view our game has similar requirements to achieve a win. We absolutely need to stop San Francisco's running game. Can't afford to give up a 51 yard run by Gore, or scrambles by Krapperdink either. Stop their running game and make them use the passing game against our amazing secondary. Devensive play and turnovers will be the key to winning this game.

Let's not forget that San Fransisco is essentially out of Fullbacks due to injury and San Fran loves to use the fullback to assist the run game. That's going to hurt Gore's production.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Polaris":2dcym3gy said:
lsheldon":2dcym3gy said:

Let's not forget that San Fransisco is essentially out of Fullbacks due to injury and San Fran loves to use the fullback to assist the run game. That's going to hurt Gore's production.

Tukuafu still might play (Harbaugh was encouraged by the way he was moving around this AM) but still true. FB is an important position for SF.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson vs SF in their house: 15/25 199 yds 1 td 1 int. If not for a bogus penalty, he's 16/25 270 2 tds and 0 int (desperation heave essentially). Nothing has changed but the weather, and Percy Harvin is back. Guys need to catch the ball, and Russell just needs to be a hair more accurate. Nothing to fear.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am going to think back to last years season

A few games left and suddenly 49ers weren't crushing anybody. Close games against multiple teams

Playoffs and boom crushed Green Bay

Seahawks - suddenly it looks like we are stalling at the same time as we basically have things wrapped up (yes I understand we had to win week 17 but that is the same as 49ers last year).

Against Saints it wasn't as close as it ended up being. We dropped ints all over the place etc. We were better

Seahakws is holding back

RW 350 yards, 3 TD's on Sunday - book it

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think what he said is a view on the passing, but rather a basic defensive strategy.

Stop the running game is practically the first goal of any defense in overall philosophy and its gameday planning. Especially when the running back they're facing is Lynch.

sutz

Reaction score
I think they call this Football 101. I'm pretty sure every coach who has ever coached at any level has used this one at least once. :229031_shrug:

Well, you've said it. Now come and prove you can do it. ;)

Polaris

Reaction score
Here is another factor that I think hasn't been talked about. One commonality I've noticed for the past decade (little more actually) since realignment is that teams that come off the first week bye tend to be a bit sluggish. If that team is unlucky enough to get a team that's nearly as good and is hitting it's stride coming out of of the wildcard round, that team with the week off is vulnerable. The success against such teams (and why the Manning led Colts seemed to go one-and-done with alarming regularity) is born out by the records.

However, if you look futher into the championship rounds, those teams that had the week off that DO survive tend to do very well and get back on stride.

I think it's reasonable to think that this last game was the game where Seattle was perhaps at her most vulnerable with a very good team coming in (11 regular season wins) and feeling good about themselves, and with Seattle having to get back into game mode (esp playoff game mode) very quickly. I note that the team in the NFC that FAILED this test obviously and badly were the Carolina Panthers.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This is the strategy of every single team that plays Seattle. It is also the strategy of every single team that plays SF. Both teams face loaded boxes every game.

It has nothing to do with the quarterbacks. Seattle and SF were #31 and #32 in passing attempts. They are going to pound it regardless of the front their facing or how their QBs are playing.