niners reveal their strategy to beating seattle

sutz

Reaction score
Polaris":1or28p15 said:
Here is another factor that I think hasn't been talked about. One commonality I've noticed for the past decade (little more actually) since realignment is that teams that come off the first week bye tend to be a bit sluggish. If that team is unlucky enough to get a team that's nearly as good and is hitting it's stride coming out of of the wildcard round, that team with the week off is vulnerable. The success against such teams (and why the Manning led Colts seemed to go one-and-done with alarming regularity) is born out by the records.

However, if you look futher into the championship rounds, those teams that had the week off that DO survive tend to do very well and get back on stride.

I think it's reasonable to think that this last game was the game where Seattle was perhaps at her most vulnerable with a very good team coming in (11 regular season wins) and feeling good about themselves, and with Seattle having to get back into game mode (esp playoff game mode) very quickly. I note that the team in the NFC that FAILED this test obviously and badly were the Carolina Panthers.
That's pretty much how WE reacted in the playoffs after the '05 season. Slow start against the 'Skins, blowout of the Panthers.

I kind of expect the same.

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the fact that this is SF's third (fourth?) consecutive road game, against one of their toughest opponents. I kind of like our odds.

Exittium

Reaction score
hoxrox":1nvebwzx said:
Read option run on a keeper, or read option pitch to Percy?

PA bootleg to a TE would be nice also.

The return of Mike Rob and I formation? FB wheel route?

I did like seeing that Percy fly sweep though.

I would love to see our TE's get involved more.. except Kellen Davis I always expect some penalty to kill what would have been a great gain.

Erebus

Reaction score
Axx":3bqfj7i9 said:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/01/13/whitner-on-49ers-strategy-vs-seahawks-make-the-qb-beat-us/

"To take away marshawn lynch and make the qb beat us" according to whitner

It appears the 49ers now view the passing game as a exploitable weakness?

Challenge accepted.

drdiags

Reaction score
Polaris":2bjg5xk4 said:
Here is another factor that I think hasn't been talked about. One commonality I've noticed for the past decade (little more actually) since realignment is that teams that come off the first week bye tend to be a bit sluggish. If that team is unlucky enough to get a team that's nearly as good and is hitting it's stride coming out of of the wildcard round, that team with the week off is vulnerable. The success against such teams (and why the Manning led Colts seemed to go one-and-done with alarming regularity) is born out by the records.

However, if you look futher into the championship rounds, those teams that had the week off that DO survive tend to do very well and get back on stride.

I think it's reasonable to think that this last game was the game where Seattle was perhaps at her most vulnerable with a very good team coming in (11 regular season wins) and feeling good about themselves, and with Seattle having to get back into game mode (esp playoff game mode) very quickly. I note that the team in the NFC that FAILED this test obviously and badly were the Carolina Panthers.

Probably what had the Falcons almost losing to the Seahawks, though their next opponent (9ers) last year had the same luxury as them in the NFCCG, since the 9ers didn't play WC weekend last year either.

Polaris

Reaction score
sutz":3m75e1ae said:
A lot of people seem to be ignoring the fact that this is SF's third (fourth?) consecutive road game, against one of their toughest opponents. I kind of like our odds.

Fourth. They played their final game against Arizona on the road (and that's not an easy team to play by any stretch). Arizona is definately a playoff-quality team this year even if they did barely miss out...and San Fran had to play that game all out to win because they had an outside shot at the division title.

So on the road without rest, San Fran has had to play Arizona, Green Bay (in frozen tundra conditions), and then Carolina, and now Seattle in Seattle.

Yeah, I expect fatigue to start setting in against the niners sometime in the second half.

Polaris

Reaction score
drdiags":w0oewa33 said:
Probably what had the Falcons almost losing to the Seahawks, though their next opponent (9ers) last year had the same luxury as them in the NFCCG, since the 9ers didn't play WC weekend last year either.

Green Bay in two years still hasn't tackled Kaepernick. Enough said.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Polaris":ouguy2sm said:

Bingo. Also we obviously planned for Percy to be featured so his concussion was a big below to the offense.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Wasn't this NO's exact gameplan? They put 9 in the box trying to execute that gameplan and Shawn still put up a buck 40.

so........ okay. Good luck with that.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Polaris":1shq2h0n said:
Axx":1shq2h0n said:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/01/13/whitner-on-49ers-strategy-vs-seahawks-make-the-qb-beat-us/

"To take away marshawn lynch and make the qb beat us" according to whitner

It appears the 49ers now view the passing game as a exploitable weakness?

New Orleans tried that on MNF and succeeded....Lynch only had about 46 yards that day.

I am confident that Wilson and and will win the game for us, if that's how the Niners want to play it, exp with our defense.

Remember too that Kaep has to deal with our defense, and he hasn't yet (at least not in Seattle).

Actually he's been terrible in all 3 of his starts against SEA, He wasn't the reason they won in SF. They won despite him.

Polaris

Reaction score
CANHawk":auc45ge5 said:
Wasn't this NO's exact gameplan? They put 9 in the box trying to execute that gameplan and Shawn still put up a buck 40.

so........ okay. Good luck with that.

Not quite, at least not this last time. Yes they had 9 in the box, but that's because they were daring Wilson to throw it deep or intermediate while dealing with exotic pressures. Those extra men in the box usually concentrate on either contain and/or taking away the screen/short-slant passes. They did not make Lynch their number one priority. They made containing Wilson and daring him to throw deep their number one priority. They showed a lot of cover 1 and cover 0.

Largent80

Reaction score
Getting Bowie in at LG is huge against their line. He played great. If we can control the trenches on offense it is gonna be a long day for SF.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Polaris":2d6719j5 said:

I was thinking this very thing, in fact it concerned me greatly in 2005, it essentially turned the Skins game into a much slower game, but one where the passing was most timely. Eventually, Hass got things warmed up because Alexander went down and by the end of the game he was steering the offense well. By the time the Carolina game hit, Damage Inc. I don't think it is exactly the same, but things like Harvin's production and the timing with receivers could certainly improve.

jblaze

Reaction score
Like it or not, it's the formula to beat us. Obviously easier said than done but it's how teams have limited us in the recent past.

Given that, I just hope Bevell and Wilson are ready to have to make plays in the passing game if the run game gets stagnant. Sometimes it seems like Bevell sticks with the run even though it's going nowhere and it gets us a lot of 3 and outs and keeps us off schedule.

hawk45

Reaction score
Largent80":1hvc73ye said:
Getting Bowie in at LG is huge against their line. He played great. If we can control the trenches on offense it is gonna be a long day for SF.

I have a very, very difficult time seeing us run the ball like that against the Niner front 7, even if Bowie plays well. I'm just hoping to run effectively, one of those games where it's 100 or less but they come at good times so it feels like more.

The funny thing is, as much as I think Harvin playing is critical for our passing offense, I think we'll be more effective without a heavy focus on him vis-a-vis targets. Rather than staring him down and setting him up to get cracked by the safety obviously giving help on him, I'd prefer we look his direction and then hit Tate and Baldwin who are enjoying single coverage with no safety help. Even in zone I think you can get them jumping towards Percy with a good long look and get space for the other guys.

But whatever, even if you're locking on to him he's still capable of making a play as he showed. I'd just prefer he survived making the play.

willyum

Reaction score
hawk45":wvv31fvl said:
Largent80":wvv31fvl said:

I have a very, very difficult time seeing us run the ball like that against the Niner front 7, even if Bowie plays well. I'm just hoping to run effectively, one of those games where it's 100 or less but they come at good times so it feels like more.

yeah the Saints, although 4th in scoring defense and 4th in overall yardage allowed, they were 19th in run defense. As opposed to SF's 4th best run D. Not only this year, but every year Harbaughs been head coach the niners have been top 5 in run d. If by some miracle Justin Smith missed the game I can see Lynch running free again

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Of course you have to take away Lynch...

I don't think Bevell knows any plays that don't include running Lynch.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Someone write that Whitner quote on a small piece of paper and hand it to Russell Wilson right now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3myaho18 said:
Someone write that Whitner quote on a small piece of paper and hand it to Russell Wilson right now.
Why? Russell will just throw it away.