Niners' drop-off could lead to eventual Kaepernick trade

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I could see it if the FO wasn't confident Keap won't struggle without Harbaugh. Thought being if he does tank like some think he will then his value plummets.

Add that to thinking his upside might only make you mediocre and in the beginning stages of a rebuild and you can make a case for it.

I don't think it will happen but wouldn't be surprised if we heard rumblings of shopping him. I just don't think they would get enough to make it happen unless Bradford tears another ACL. Kelly might be willing to go after him as he would probably be excellent in that system.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ringless":1r9lyln7 said:
I look at the state of the 49ers house and I can't help but think to myself. I wouldn't let a pig live in that filth.

Friendly bet on the 9ers versus Cardinals records next year?

(srsly, just an avatar or sig deal or something).

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2soyvi39 said:
ringless":2soyvi39 said:
I look at the state of the 49ers house and I can't help but think to myself. I wouldn't let a pig live in that filth.

Careful Ringless, you could get yourself into a situation and he may retire on ya! :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3snecksk said:
ringless":3snecksk said:

I'd take a piece of that. :)

byau

Reaction score
Marvin49":30o56ix2 said:
Popeyejones":30o56ix2 said:
Marvin49":30o56ix2 said:
I mean, one of the points of the article is that they might be willing to give him up for several high draft picks. Is there a team that would be willing to do that? Dunno.

Even if there was, it's still not much of a point. He calls Kaepernick a good quarterback and seems to believe that other teams think so as well (as they'd be giving up several high draft pick for him).

Well, okay. So where exactly are these teams that have been trading their good starting quarterbacks for draft picks? There aren't any, because it doesn't make any sense.

The only possible way you could even spin it is by arguing that the 9ers think Gabbert is a better QB than their good starting QB, but he doesn't mention that, because, well, it would be a pretty ridiculous argument to make. :lol:

I hear ya...

...just trying to make sense of it.

Let's look at the last QB in recent memory that was traded for with a lot of high draft picks: RG III.

RG III had some amazing natural physical talent, but was plagued by injuries (and if I remember rumors correctly, bad player development?).

Despite what a lot of board members here think, I still think Kaep has a pretty high ceiling and just bad coaching and player development. This is a QB that almost led his team to back-to-back Super Bowls. He crashed in 2014-2015, but seems to me that instead of letting Kaep be Kaep and developing his natural ability, they tried to make drastic changes which backfired.

I think with the right coaches and right people who can figure out how to develop what his advantages are (again, ALMOST BACK TO BACK SUPER BOWLS!), he could be worth at least a high draft pick or two.

I also think the 49ers might present a great year for Kaep, with all that's happened, the pressure is off and he might go back to playing his backyard style more with nothing to lose. If only the coaching staff can stay out of his way (I'm very not impressed by Tomsula) I could see them doing 9 wins.

I for one am quite interested to see how the 49ers do this season.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
byau":r7e5vm9x said:
Marvin49":r7e5vm9x said:
Popeyejones":r7e5vm9x said:
Marvin49":r7e5vm9x said:
I mean, one of the points of the article is that they might be willing to give him up for several high draft picks. Is there a team that would be willing to do that? Dunno.

Even if there was, it's still not much of a point. He calls Kaepernick a good quarterback and seems to believe that other teams think so as well (as they'd be giving up several high draft pick for him).

Well, okay. So where exactly are these teams that have been trading their good starting quarterbacks for draft picks? There aren't any, because it doesn't make any sense.

The only possible way you could even spin it is by arguing that the 9ers think Gabbert is a better QB than their good starting QB, but he doesn't mention that, because, well, it would be a pretty ridiculous argument to make. :lol:

I hear ya...

Let's look at the last QB in recent memory that was traded for with a lot of high draft picks: RG III.

RG III had some amazing natural physical talent, but was plagued by injuries (and if I remember rumors correctly, bad player development?).

Despite what a lot of board members here think, I still think Kaep has a pretty high ceiling and just bad coaching and player development. This is a QB that almost led his team to back-to-back Super Bowls. He crashed in 2014-2015, but seems to me that instead of letting Kaep be Kaep and developing his natural ability, they tried to make drastic changes which backfired.

I think with the right coaches and right people who can figure out how to develop what his advantages are (again, ALMOST BACK TO BACK SUPER BOWLS!), he could be worth at least a high draft pick or two.

I also think the 49ers might present a great year for Kaep, with all that's happened, the pressure is off and he might go back to playing his backyard style more with nothing to lose. If only the coaching staff can stay out of his way (I'm very not impressed by Tomsula) I could see them doing 9 wins.

9 wins? That seems very optimistic to me when you consider all the changes. PFF rated their O-line last year at #9 overall with pass protection ranked 16th and run blocking ranked 5th and they still had a productive Gore and a system that Kaep had been in for 3 years. Now Gore is gone and so is Iupati and Davis. I think there is a good reason to be hesitant about Kaep making progress. He will have a new OC and be learning a new system all while playing behind a less talented O-line and adding Torrey Smith is not an upgrade from losing Stevie Johnson and Crabtree.

Overall they are weaker at RB, WR, O-line and the same at TE. No area was upgraded and now they will learn a knew offense or at minimum new terminology though I doubt Geep Chryst will just mimic the old playbook.

I would be surprised also if they didn't take a big step back on defense with losses of Willis, Cowboy, RayMac, Skuta, Cox, Culliver and Borland and again in a new system. That is a ton of talent and leadership to lose in one off season besides having to learn a new scheme. How will Kaep and Geep respond if they find themselves trailing early and often. I completely disagree the pressure is off, if anything it is on more than ever and you and niner fans are the only ones who think Harbaugh was a bad coach. He was considered the QB whisperer at one point. Maybe Kaep is more the problem than you think.

Keep in mind they are still in the NFC West so they won't get a cake walk schedule like the Patriots and Colts do every year. If Palmer and Foles stay healthy both teams will likely be better than last year. I don't think AZ will improve on their record but that has much to do with how things broke for them last year. Even an improved team could end up with less wins than previous.

My gut says Kaep takes another step backwards this year and loses value on the trade market. Right now I think they could garner a high draft pick, maybe even two but if he struggles next year his value will plummet.

Like I said before I don't think it will happen but if I am right about Kaep's value now vs next year, they may look back and wish they had.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The first ten games on the Whiners' schedule look tough for them. I could see them being 2-8 or 3-7 by the time we are done with them.

If they win more than six games this season with Tomsula, I would be shocked.

Not that they don't have talent to win nine games, it's just that coaching is absolutely critical at this level of play. They are going to struggle to win every week with their current level of coaching, which looks even worse than it did under Singletary.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":18kytgk1 said:
byau":18kytgk1 said:
Marvin49":18kytgk1 said:
Popeyejones":18kytgk1 said:

I hear ya...

9 wins? That seems very optimistic to me when you consider all the changes. PFF rated their O-line last year at #9 overall with pass protection ranked 16th and run blocking ranked 5th and they still had a productive Gore and a system that Kaep had been in for 3 years. Now Gore is gone and so is Iupati and Davis. I think there is a good reason to be hesitant about Kaep making progress. He will have a new OC and be learning a new system all while playing behind a less talented O-line and adding Torrey Smith is not an upgrade from losing Stevie Johnson and Crabtree.

Overall they are weaker at RB, WR, O-line and the same at TE. No area was upgraded and now they will learn a knew offense or at minimum new terminology though I doubt Geep Chryst will just mimic the old playbook.

I would be surprised also if they didn't take a big step back on defense with losses of Willis, Cowboy, RayMac, Skuta, Cox, Culliver and Borland and again in a new system. That is a ton of talent and leadership to lose in one off season besides having to learn a new scheme. How will Kaep and Geep respond if they find themselves trailing early and often. I completely disagree the pressure is off, if anything it is on more than ever and you and niner fans are the only ones who think Harbaugh was a bad coach. He was considered the QB whisperer at one point. Maybe Kaep is more the problem than you think.

Keep in mind they are still in the NFC West so they won't get a cake walk schedule like the Patriots and Colts do every year. If Palmer and Foles stay healthy both teams will likely be better than last year. I don't think AZ will improve on their record but that has much to do with how things broke for them last year. Even an improved team could end up with less wins than previous.

My gut says Kaep takes another step backwards this year and loses value on the trade market. Right now I think they could garner a high draft pick, maybe even two but if he struggles next year his value will plummet.

Like I said before I don't think it will happen but if I am right about Kaep's value now vs next year, they may look back and wish they had.

Couple things....

Weaker at RB? Yes, they lost Gore...but that just means more carries for Hyde. I'd argue that Hyde at this stage of his career is better than the Frank Gore of last year.

Weaker at WR? I'd argue Smith is an upgrade over the post-Achilles Crabtree and Johnson was hurt most of the year.

Weaker at O-Line? Probably. Davis missed most of the year and Iupati really wasn't himself recovering from the broken ankle. The question when comparing to last year is can this years line perform better thana line that lost both centers, had Boone underperforming because he held out, and with Jonathan Martin as a RT.

As for the rest...all pretty much unknown. My guess is Kap aint going anywhere for some time.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":3uxanpkt said:
Couple things....

Weaker at RB? Yes, they lost Gore...but that just means more carries for Hyde. I'd argue that Hyde at this stage of his career is better than the Frank Gore of last year.

Weaker at WR? I'd argue Smith is an upgrade over the post-Achilles Crabtree and Johnson was hurt most of the year.

Weaker at O-Line? Probably. Davis missed most of the year and Iupati really wasn't himself recovering from the broken ankle. The question when comparing to last year is can this years line perform better thana line that lost both centers, had Boone underperforming because he held out, and with Jonathan Martin as a RT.

As for the rest...all pretty much unknown. My guess is Kap aint going anywhere for some time.

If by "anywhere", you mean the playoffs, I totally agree.

I understand optimism, but you would argue that a guy that has 83 carries in the NFL is going to be better than Gore? Looks like you choose your arguments well.

Smith MIGHT be an upgrade at WR, but just like the last five free agent WRs brought in by the niners, he won't do a whole lot because of the QB.

Your team didn't get better. I know that is hard to deal with, but it is the truth. Keep trying to convince everyone on a Seahawk board that they did, we are amused.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawknation2015":38zbdtua said:
The first ten games on the Whiners' schedule look tough for them. I could see them being 2-8 or 3-7 when we play them.

If they win more than six games this season with Tomsula, I would be shocked.

Not that they don't have talent to win nine games, it's just that coaching is absolutely critical at this level of play. They are going to struggle to win every week with their current level of coaching, which looks even worse than it did under Singletary.

I don't even see the talent unless we make many assumptions.

Will Hyde be a good replacement for Gore behind an O-line that took a couple big hits talent wise?

Will Dial, Tank and Lynch step in with no drop off?

How about Aldon Smith without Cowboy?

Will Kaep improve behind a less talented O-line throwing to an older Boldin (35 years old in October) while getting chemistry with Torrey Smith?

Will that defense be able to keep opponents scores low and get off the field on 3rd down?

Will the new CB's be as good as Cox and Culliver behind what will likely be a less talented front seven? They will likely need to be even better than Cully and Cox without as much help from the front guys.

How about depth? With all their depth suddenly becoming starters who is behind them? Are we assuming they will stay freakishly healthy?

Will Bowman come back 100%? And will he even look like it playing behind that D-Line? And with less talent beside him?

Do we assume that Geep is an upgrade over Harbough and Roman? Mangini is better than Fangio? These are guys that had zero interest from other teams. Their might be a reason.

This is off the top of my head and I'm sure I am missing many good questions but to me they look like they should be worse than the team that won 8 games last year not better. I can't really think of anything positive outside of Bowman possibly coming back but even that has question marks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":tsznzs8l said:
Marvin49":tsznzs8l said:
Couple things....

I understand optimism, but you would argue that a guy that has 83 carries in the NFL is going to be better than Gore? Looks like you choose your arguments well.

Smith MIGHT be an upgrade at WR, but just like the last five free agent WRs brought in by the niners, he won't do a whole lot because of the QB.

Your team didn't get better. I know that is hard to deal with, but it is the truth. Keep trying to convince everyone on a Seahawk board that they did, we are amused.

Am I going to argue that Hyde at 23 might be better than Gore at 32? Yup. We'll see, but it ain't all that ridiculous. In his prime Gore was my favorite player of all time, but he ain't close to his prime and hasn't been for a few years.

They didn't get better? You could very well be right with all of the players they lost. I'd argue though that they could be better than the team that was left at the end of the year ravaged by injuries. 17 players on IR.

Time will tell. I don't have any expectations, but just looking at a piece of paper doesn't make for a good or a bad team. Its on the players still on the roster that were playing behind those guys no longer around to make something of themselves. No way to know if it'll work out or not. Pretending like the dye has already been cast and the season is over before it starts is foolish.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rideaducati":2zl4fobw said:
Marvin49":2zl4fobw said:
Couple things....

Rideaducati pretty much summarizes it but I have one question. Why were these guys the starters again? Obviously the more talented guys were being held back?

Marvin you lose all credibility when you try and argue that Hyde is an upgrade when he was there last year behind Gore.

I understand you hope he is an upgrade but come on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":9tq1lwts said:
rideaducati":9tq1lwts said:
Marvin49":9tq1lwts said:
Couple things....

Rideaducati pretty much summarizes it but I have one question. Why were these guys the starters again? Obviously the more talented guys were being held back?

Marvin you lose all credibility when you try and argue that Hyde is an upgrade when he was there last year behind Gore.

I understand you hope he is an upgrade but come on.

Uh...why do you think they let Gore walk? He said he wanted to come back. They let him walk because they like the young guys they have and weren't going to overpay to keep Gore. We'll see this year, but its funny how preposterous you think it is that a 23 year old 2nd round pick could be better than a 32 year old RB.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":24ksvqoi said:
rideaducati":24ksvqoi said:
Marvin49":24ksvqoi said:
Couple things....

Am I going to argue that Hyde at 23 might be better than Gore at 32? Yup. We'll see, but it ain't all that ridiculous. In his prime Gore was my favorite player of all time, but he ain't close to his prime and hasn't been for a few years.

They didn't get better? You could very well be right with all of the players they lost. I'd argue though that they could be better than the team that was left at the end of the year ravaged by injuries. 17 players on IR.

Time will tell. I don't have any expectations, but just looking at a piece of paper doesn't make for a good or a bad team. Its on the players still on the roster that were playing behind those guys no longer around to make something of themselves. No way to know if it'll work out or not. Pretending like the dye has already been cast and the season is over before it starts is foolish.

Yes he might but he also might not. It is just one possible problem among many for you guys. I have just laid out some question marks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1xeqapgf said:
Marvin49":1xeqapgf said:
rideaducati":1xeqapgf said:
Marvin49":1xeqapgf said:
Couple things....

Yes he might but he also might not. It is just one possible problem among many for you guys. I have just laid out some question marks.

Of course!!

I'm not the one that made definitive statements that the RBs, WRs and O-Line were all downgraded. I just said that may not be true. That's why I said "might".

There are question marks all over the roster. No doubt.

Question marks aren't answers though...they are questions yet to be answered. We'll get those answers one way or the other this year. Neither a record of 10-6 or 6-10 would surprise me more this year. I don't know what to expect...but it certainly isn't set in stone that they have downgraded at all of those positions.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":ac1yq0c2 said:
Of course!!

I'm not the one that made definitive statements that the RBs, WRs and O-Line were all downgraded. I just said that may not be true. That's why I said "might".

I'm betting the under in every category for the niners compared to last season...offense, defense, wins, passing, rushing, kicking...everything...except punting yards. They might lead the league in that stat.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1vy727dl said:
Marvin49":1vy727dl said:
Of course!!

I'm betting the under in every category for the niners compared to last season...offense, defense, wins, passing, rushing, kicking...everything.

Well of course you are. I'd expect nothing less. :D

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":ac2lg3gb said:
rideaducati":ac2lg3gb said:
Marvin49":ac2lg3gb said:
Of course!!

I'm betting the under in every category for the niners compared to last season...offense, defense, wins, passing, rushing, kicking...everything.

Well of course you are. I'd expect nothing less. :D

I don't see you jumping on that bet... What are you gonna bet on? Let us see if you really believe what you spin.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":30c0ixqm said:
Couple things....

Slow Carlos Hyde (333 career yards at barely 4.0 yards per carry and 68 receiving yards) might be BETTER than Frank Gore (coming off another 1,100+ yard season at 4.3 yards per carry and 131 receiving yards)? LOL.

Weren't you the one saying Gore was still an elite RB and should have gotten more carries last year?

Are you OK, Marvin? I think you might be losing it. Gore>Hyde every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

In addition, your OL is clearly worse with the loss of Iupati and Davis.

WR is arguably worse, as Boldin is a year older and Smith is not much better than Crabtree/Johnson. The only rookie you added here is coming off ACL surgery.

FB could be worse if Bruce Miller continues to regress or faces any kind of suspension for domestic violence.

CB should be worse after replacing Chris Culliver with Shareece Wright/Chris Cook.

ILB should be worse after the retirements of Patrick Willis and Chris Borland.

And your DL should also be worse after the retirement of Justin Smith and release of domestic abuser Ray McDonald. I'm not a fan of Armstead as a DL and don't think he adds much to this unit.

But there is still certainly talent on this team. The biggest problem will ultimately be the dramatic drop-off in coaching from Jim Harbaugh, who took the 49ers to their only playoff appearances of the last 12 years, to first-time NFL HC Tomsula, as well as the diminishment in coaching at the assistant level.

They went from a team with Top 10 talent that was derailed by the uncertainty created by Jed/Baalke over the coaching situation to a Bottom 10 team in talent and probably the worst coaching staff in the league.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Well last year you had Gore and Hyde. This year you don't. Pretty simple really. Your most productive back is gone. Now you can only assume and hope that his replacement is comparable. Even so you would have had to keep Gore even if as a backup to be similar. Without him you are less talented.

Also aren't you changing scheme on the O-line? Should we assume that will be an automatic upgrade? Oh and Hyde will automatically adapt to the new scheme?

At this stage Hyde is definitely more explosive and powerful. I will give him that but he lacks in experience, chemistry with his line like Frank had and knowledge of the system he is playing in. More talent doesn't always mean better results.

Here is another potential problem. What if your defense actually does take a step (or three) backwards? Will you still be handing Hyde the ball even when forced into passing situations?