NFCW Best Draft

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TAB420":4spxawc3 said:
When your coach or GM gives hints that happen to line up exactly with the player chosen? Pete said they got 2/3 players they were aiming for in the 2nd and third round, If your going to lie then why not just say you got the two guys you wanted?

Yeah, and Baalke said Armstead was who they were coveting and he traded back two picks because there were only two guys they were even considering in the first round who were both still there.

These are all meaningless statements.

Again, find me a GM who after the draft says he got saddled with a guy he didn't want or prefer and you'll find the first one.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
At this point we as fans think we know what their own teams needs are. So just looking at the needs and players selected is the "grade"......

rlkats

Reaction score
Largent80":2dj765u2 said:
At this point we as fans think we know what their own teams needs are. So just looking at the needs and players selected is the "grade"......

Agreed Largent. So as a fan.

Rams -B. Beast jr. at rb.
Cards - B.
Hawks - B- midget wr just like the rams have that has done nothing.
Niners C- Punter at 5. I threw up in my mouth when i seen that.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I am interested to see how Smith at CB and Murphy (listed as safety but may play CB) will do for Seattle.

Lockett was drafted to be a returner primarily, however he already runs good routes and is tough as nails. He isn't a giant, but we used our 1st rounder on Graham, which is way better than the #31 pick.

rlkats

Reaction score
Largent80":2mb59ep4 said:
I am interested to see how Smith at CB and Murphy (listed as safety but may play CB) will do for Seattle.

Lockett was drafted to be a returner primarily, however he already runs good routes and is tough as nails. He isn't a giant, but we used our 1st rounder on Graham, which is way better than the #31 pick.

Agree on Graham. CB positiin could be interesting. We all know sherman is a bust ;) lol.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":1ph5iglt said:

Well...for the Niners, if we are grading on perceived team needs, they get a D or an F...

...which leads me to believe that their perception of what their needs are and fan and media perceptions of what their needs are differ greatly. Teams always say they take Best Player Available. I think the Niners did just that in taking who THEY thought were the best players available when they picked, traded back twice, and traded a pick into next year (and with those picks and comp picks likely coming they are set to have something like 12 picks again next year) and really didn't take positions of "need" that can play THIS year.

A Popeye said, they filled positions of need this year in the last two drafts because they were anticipating the loss of the players they lost (and we'll just have to see if they are adequate replacements) and THIS draft was drafting guys to replace players in the next few years....Justin Smith, Antoine Bethea, Ahmad Brooks, and Vernon Davis.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":19u4zpsf said:
Popeyejones":19u4zpsf said:
TAB420":19u4zpsf said:
When your coach or GM gives hints that happen to line up exactly with the player chosen? Pete said they got 2/3 players they were aiming for in the 2nd and third round, If your going to lie then why not just say you got the two guys you wanted?

Yeah, and Baalke said Armstead was who they were coveting and he traded back two picks because there were only two guys they were even considering in the first round who were both still there.

Again, find me a GM who after the draft says he got saddled with a guy he didn't want or prefer and you'll find the first one.

Pete and John reiterated that they missed on one guy they REALLY wanted, but wouldn't say who he was. It sounded like they were trying to trade up to get him but failed, then said there was some disappointment but were generally pleased that they got 2 out of 3 of their targets. Doesn't sound like a big smokescreen, especially considering that the Seahawks target guys that most teams don't.

What I've been trying to figure out is who the Seahawks missed on. I'm sure one of the more skilled fan analysts out there could probably tell us, hell, some of the fans here were dead on about Lockette and a few of the late rounders. I was impressed.

Yeah, I'd tend to believe them.

They made a bold move up for one of those guys (Lockett) and there was no strategic reason to say they missed on one of them.

Melencause

Reaction score
rlkats":2tf9zfub said:
Seahawk Sailor":2tf9zfub said:
I think the 'Hawks and Rams had the best drafts; the Cards and 49ers the worst. Wasn't impressed with theirs, but I think the 'Hawks and Rams made solid selections that should put them #1 and #2 respectively in the division.

Haha of course you think the hawks are part of the best draft.

Personally I think the draft was a bit underwelming.
But if i had to pick I think the Rams a d Cards did the best.
The Hawks and Ninersreached majorly for their pics.

Do tell how they reached? They got a legitimate 1st round DE at the end of the second, and they traded up for a top kr/pr who is always open at wr.

ringless

Reaction score
I personally was a little surprised by our picks.... The first round I really can't complain that we fixed the weakest part of our OL, especially since its true in the sense that if Palmer stays healthy we win... Not too mention it can only help the running game as well.

When I heard our second pick I was disappointed that we didn't take the chance on on Gregory. However from everything I've ready about Shane Rays teammate Golden. He is just a standout player, and was the third best rated DE in college football using advanced analytics. Was basically disruptive in every game, and just as effective as Ray without the same amount of attention. Apparently there isn't a play on film where this guy doesn't play through the whistle.... I still would've rather gotten Gregory but it appears with the draft and players we have that we are changing our scheme from a 3-4.

In the third we went RB, and got someone that is big, fast, can catch and block but his vision just isn't anything to be excited about. Im sure he will be a short down back and brought in for protection unless Ellington is lining up at WR more as hinted by Bruce.

I saw great grades for us but this draft is one of the least exciting ones to me. Then again every year there are players who are suppose to come in and be stars that fade away and players that nobody knows that make an impact. Its really hard to even hand out grades. I was a little disappointed... However in 2-3 years the truth will come out and I believe that with what our FO has accomplished they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

TAB420

Reaction score
Popeyejones":bqwf8r2q said:
TAB420":bqwf8r2q said:

Okay, but Seattle went after their picks this year, they didn't trade back just to take who was left from a few players they liked. They went after Clark and then did whatever it took to get T.L. I think they showed that those were the two players they wanted.

kearly

Reaction score
The Rams tend to ace their top 40 picks by and large, but struggle to develop guys drafted later. I think this draft is the latest example of that.

I think the 49ers blew it with Armstead in the 1st round. That said, Baalke is a name pick kind of GM who's best picks are not big names. But this year, he made a lot more "who?" picks than usual. So I'm trying to be careful to not shovel too much shit on it, because he tends to do pretty well with lower profile prospects and mid round picks. He had a lot of mid round picks this year. Harold seems like his latest gem at LB.

Can't really comment on the Cardinals draft, though I would say so far Keim seems to be much better at his job in free agency than on draft day. This draft seemed more average than most, really the only pick that really leaped off the screen for me was David Johnson, who is similar to Tampa's favored RB, Charles Sims and is far more suited for a bellcow role than Ellington.

I thought the Seahawks hit it out of the park, and that's the first time I've felt that way after a draft since 2012.

Todd Gurley was clearly the most talented player drafted in the division. But I think there is a pretty good case for Clark and Lockett being #2 and #3 on that list in terms of pure talent.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Largent80":2cddkmgn said:
So, who helped themselves the most, and will the choices help the team "get over the hump?"

Hawks are already deep. Lost DC, LB coach, and several starters.

However, they were lucky enough to have every player the coveted to be available.....They really helped themselves.

Anyone else want to add?
Getting the guys they want only helps the team if the guys they want end up becoming good players. People really need to stop assuming that wanting a player = the player will be good.

chris98251

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":b3qqu6b5 said:
Largent80":b3qqu6b5 said:
So, who helped themselves the most, and will the choices help the team "get over the hump?"

Hawks are already deep. Lost DC, LB coach, and several starters.

However, they were lucky enough to have every player the coveted to be available.....They really helped themselves.

Anyone else want to add?
Getting the guys they want only helps the team if the guys they want end up becoming good players. People really need to stop assuming that wanting a player = the player will be good.

People need to assume after 2 Super Bowls in 5 years that they have a clue about player development also.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":grkdv7sc said:
TAB420":grkdv7sc said:
How is it a reach, if at the end of the draft Seattle got the players they were targeting?.

There's absolutely no way to ever know if a team got the players it was targeting.

What GM is going to say they missed on their targets? :lol:

Just by way of example, it's possible that the Seahawks traded up for Lockett because they weren't expecting the run on receivers and felt like they'd be screwed if they didn't get the last remaining one in their tier, so they were forced to move up for someone who they didn't covet but who was the last guy they thought was acceptable.

On the other side of it, you could say that the 9ers got their man in Armstead and still accumulated picks while doing so, or traded out of the spot because they had just missed their man in Parker and Armstead was with a bunch of other guys in the next tier down.

The point is that even if a team moves up or down, there's really no way to know if a team got who they were targeting or not.

On top of that, there's really no way to know if a team reached or not. Seattle definitely has a reputation for reaching, but we don't know if that's true or not because our projections aren't ever based on any real draft boards.

Unless the GM puts the guy's name into an envelope prior to the draft. I notice Baalke doesn't do that anymore. It worked out so well last time. ;)

BTW, Schneider admitted that he missed one of his targeted players.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think the niners had the best draft because they had the most picks and more picks is better...just ask Keeporpick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":w5saopoi said:
I think the niners had the best draft because they had the most picks and more picks is better...just ask Keeporpick.

Kap Career Interceptions: 21
Wilson Career interceptions: 26
Kap Career INT%: 1.9
Wilson Career INT%: 2.1

Just sayin.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2gwecwbq said:
rideaducati":2gwecwbq said:

Just sayin.

How many rings? /trollface

Marvin49

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":izp4pgy7 said:
Marvin49":izp4pgy7 said:
rideaducati":izp4pgy7 said:

Just sayin.

How many rings? /trollface

...and that pertains to the conversation how? I swear...for peeps who hated the whole "5 rings" thing so much, you guys have embraced the attitude rather quickly.

For the record, I'm in no way saying Kap is better than Wilson...just pointing out that while a poster was making a joke about Kap and INTs it should be pointed out that Wilson has thrown more and at a higher %.