Needs for next year?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think it's wishful thinking that Geno is going to keep playing like this AND be willing to sign a one-year deal with us that's about grooming a backup QB on a team that's failing him...

The only way Geno's back for only one-year at this point is if we Franchise tag him which would be an expensive option...
Maybe it is, replace the word GENO with a FA veteran QB then.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Don't overlook the importance of a very good center for the O Line. Tinkerbell ain't the answer and neither is our other starter.
We NEED to draft our QB of the future, regardless what happens with Geno.
We NEED to draft some pass rush, and buy one of we can.
We might possibly be able to get by on the depth we have at RB if Homer comes back strong. But another one wouldn't hurt either. I'd buy one and use my draft tickets on defense.
We also need a talented and reliable #3 receiver. Eskridge and Marquise aren't getting it done and I like them but both have had their chance/s.
Glad we have a lot of high picks to work with.

12forlife

Reaction score
I may be alone here but after Barton, and our DL, C, and RG are replaced, we have to get upgrades over Dallas & Homer, sorry they just aren't good enough if this is supposed to be run first offense. Need to add a speed back, and a true thumper.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I may be alone here but after Barton, and our DL, C, and RG are replaced, we have to get upgrades over Dallas & Homer, sorry they just aren't good enough if this is supposed to be run first offense. Need to add a speed back, and a true thumper.
They are supposed to be 3rd and 4th backs but because Penny can’t stay healthy they play wayyy more often than supposed to. The rb injuries for this team have been ridiculous dating back to Procise and Rawls.

BASF

Reaction score
There are several very decent backs this coming season who are hard runners and break tackles that can be had in the fourth or fifth round this season. As much as I would love to take Charbonnet out of UCLA in say the third round if he is there, I think we will have better luck with drafting D or OL there. I have been playing with the mock simulators more than I'd like to admit, and in almost every one I run Tank Bigsby is there in the fourth round. If he is there in real life, I hope we choose him.

Chawker

Reaction score
A versatile DT and MLB is our greatest need, lets start with these two.

Max Duggen QB late in the draft, if we don't sign Geno, were still good.

I like that kid playing Center for ohio st. Wypler

StoneCold

Reaction score
1. Dlineman that teams have to scheme for
2. Another Dlineman that teams have to scheme for
3. Center that can't be pushed back
4. Guard a real road grader
5. LB

If we can fill those roles with the draft and free agency we can compete with the 9ers.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
In my opinion this off-season through the draft or a free agent signing the Hawks need:

1-A pass rushing defense tackle
2- An inside linebacker
3- A veteran cornerback

I know this is not breaking news but they need to build This defense back up and I believe these are the most glaring needs on the defense. Thoughts?
I agree with the first two but I would replace 3 with either a Center or a mauling RG

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I agree with the first two but I would replace 3 with either a Center or a mauling RG
Agree. Just to set the record straight. my original post that you were replying to was from October 9.

olyfan63

Reaction score
In the playoff matchup with the 49ers, one weak link was interior OL. We need OL "Thumpers" at C and RG who can hold up against SF's front 7. It was the 49ers pass rush that blew up the game, getting the sack-fumble from Geno when the Hawks were in the red zone and a TD takes the lead.

Another fast, strong, bigger running back, change of pace from Walker, would be great too. If we can smashmouth-run on the 49ers, that slows down their pass rush.

Defense is a separate issue, and since Jalen Carter is probably gone at #5, we'll have to hope that PC/JS have a good plan for upgrading the talent on D.

Mick063

Reaction score
Draft front seven with the top seven picks. One for every position. Focus on dudes that routinely penetrated and defeated blocks instead of developing freakish potential. Go for proven, consistent tacklers that wrap up instead of believing that your staff can fix the bad tackling habits of a physical freak. Envision players that aren't fooled by Brock Purdy's sidestep. Find solid video evidence of dudes that have consistently proven that if they get their hands on the QB, he is going down. Production guys, not potential guys. The defense needs a bunch of solids more than they need a few freaks.

Last edited:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think the top 4 picks should get the following:
DT, EDGE, ILB, and Center. If those 4 positions are addressed in the top 4 I think we’d be in a great position. Then hit the DL again in round 3

BASF

Reaction score
I think the top 4 picks should get the following:
DT, EDGE, ILB, and Center. If those 4 positions are addressed in the top 4 I think we’d be in a great position. Then hit the DL again in round 3
My only quibble is that this draft is fairly deep at center. I think spending the second second round pick on a guard may be a better choice considering the depth this season at guard.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
They are supposed to be 3rd and 4th backs but because Penny can’t stay healthy they play wayyy more often than supposed to. The rb injuries for this team have been ridiculous dating back to Procise and Rawls.
That's what happens when an O Line can't create openings for a back to get through. The back takes a whole lot more punishment.