Needs for next year?

seabowl

Reaction score
In my opinion this off-season through the draft or a free agent signing the Hawks need:

1-A pass rushing defense tackle
2- An inside linebacker
3- A veteran cornerback

I know this is not breaking news but they need to build This defense back up and I believe these are the most glaring needs on the defense. Thoughts?

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
By "veteran" CB, do you mean someone in their mid 20's that's fishing for a new huge contract and a new team? Or do you mean a CB that's aging and is looking for a job that could be a mentor?

And I do agree those are all positions the Seahawks need to address. Especially LB.

Scout

Reaction score
1. Agreed.

Even a 34 one gap needs pass rushing 3 tech. The Bucs are a good example as a 34 team that decided to move on from Suh and draft Hall to eventually replace him.

2. Agreed.

Barton is a situational player in certain packages but he is not a 3 down or even a 2 down LB. He is a backup at best.

3. Not so sure because I rather see the team roll with the current CBs on the roster. I think the younger CBs are outplaying the existing veteran CBs. By the end of the season the young rookie CBs will have enough seasoning that the need for a veteran boundary CB isn't going to be that high.

4. Edge rusher that can impact the game.

Have to keep swinging here even if Mafe and the rest continue developing. Need a rotation.

5. A stud NT that can swallow things up. Woods is a marvel for how many teams he has played on at a high level. But even old man Woods will stop playing or slow down at some point.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Agree with your list but would say a veteran LB is more important than a veteran CB and I would add: QB. Geno is not signed. We can't take it for granted that we can ignore the QB position because we can't take it for granted he's coming back.

Scout

Reaction score
Agree with your list but would say a veteran LB is more important than a veteran CB and I would add: QB. Geno is not signed. We can't take it for granted that we can ignore the QB position because we can't take it for granted he's coming back.
I think regardless of what happens the team is going to draft a QB to have at least one QB under contract long term.

Look at the Panthers that threw away all that money for Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield. Difference is the Seahawks have more options and greater flexibility.

AgentDib

Reaction score
To look at it another way, what position shouldn't we consider bolstering with an early pick?

K/P/LS/FB - low positional value
OT - very positive stuff out of our rookies and depth thus far
TE - our TE group has been excellent
CB - we continue to find CB gems later on

Every other position is a need.

WR may be more of a day 2 pick as Lockett and Metcalf continue to excel and be available, but I'm not sure Goodwin is in our 2023 plans and we haven't seen much from our other depth.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
To look at it another way, what position shouldn't we consider bolstering with an early pick?

K/P/LS/FB - low positional value
One thought I did have while discussing our kicker in another thread: I mentioned that as unreliable as Myers has been, there are other starting Ks who are worse in the NFL. And that made me think: We have lost games because of Jason's leg. Those teams with worse kickers probably have too.

With the change in where the XP line is, making XPs not as sure a thing as they once were, are NFL teams going to need to start re-evaluating the importance they put on the kicking game? I feel like teams are still business as usual even though with the changes they've made to the kicking game (onside kick changes as well), a really, really good kicker is more valuable than ever.

I don't think 'Hawks need to be the team to start the trend, just a thought I had.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
Need a pass rush too.
Would love to get a blue chip edge player.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Linebacker
Linebacker
Quarterback
Safety
Edge rusher
Nose tackle

That's how I want them looking at the draft board and free agency.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Draft a young stud QB at let him learn behind Geno who you re-sign for a year. Draft a solid RB to back up Walker, and the rest all defense.
I think it's wishful thinking that Geno is going to keep playing like this AND be willing to sign a one-year deal with us that's about grooming a backup QB on a team that's failing him...

The only way Geno's back for only one-year at this point is if we Franchise tag him which would be an expensive option...

Fade

Reaction score
Fire the entire defensive staff. Take the keys away from Pete and turn him into a figure head. If he refuses, fire him too.

Until that change is made it will continue to be more of the same.

Name the last great defense player they've drafted in the first 3 rds and what year?

The Seahawks issues are predominately Carroll issues.

Fix that first before Pete can waste more valuable picks on his defense.

Fade

Reaction score
I think it's wishful thinking that Geno is going to keep playing like this AND be willing to sign a one-year deal with us that's about grooming a backup QB on a team that's failing him...

The only way Geno's back for only one-year at this point is if we Franchise tag him which would be an expensive option...
Agreed. Geno is playing his way to a mega contract. 3 yrs $100M is the floor.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Safety?? You have Diggs and Adams (when healthy). Maybe a center though. Yes I’m aware that we missed out on Creed.