My theory on the delay of game

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":acuva3fh said:
With 22 seconds and no timeouts.. wouldn't you call a pass anyways? If it's incomplete, you run in the heavy package and give it one last try?

Passing there gives you 2-3 plays instead of one.
I've been saying this all week

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3rq6kzsg said:
Uncle Si":3rq6kzsg said:
With 22 seconds and no timeouts.. wouldn't you call a pass anyways? If it's incomplete, you run in the heavy package and give it one last try?

Yup, and the Blink at the Clink fiasco is a replay of the SB49 goal line fiasco that cost us that game.
I'm on board with the OP's theory about Marshawn and storyline. Then the info about Marshawn not being ready with his helmet to go in. You can't make this shit up. So if it turns out this one could be as much or more on Marshawn if true.

It really reinforces, win as a team, lose as a team. So many things went wrong, showed so many little issues on one play. Perhaps if Marshawn's ready, the package gets in in time, Marshawn scores, storyline fulfilled.

The irony is that it results in a more favorable opportunity for Seattle to make a deep run. At least the team has a chance to come back from this, unlike SB49. If we can't beat Philly on the road again, we're not that deserving anyway. So overall, this may have been a good thing for Seattle, and a bit of a wake-up call, that changes need to be made, maybe even getting Pete's attention enough to make changes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its not a replay though.. the play that ended 49 was called. It wasn't rushed. They had time, felt thst was the right call, and went with it.

The on field highlights from that game show how the Patriots responded to the formation as well..

Biggest difference is how long both teams had to make decisions. I still am fine with a pass there. Just the wrong route and option.

This incident came down to a lack of preparedness. Hopefully, as you said, it serves as a necessary wake up call.

I like Pete. Game management is his biggest weakness

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The moment was too big for us. As a team. It was chaos. Really surreal thing to witness. We blew it. I didn't like the Russ spike, either-was yelling NO sneak it! Awful sequence of events that robbed us of more magic.

On to Philadelphia. (But not completely cuz still discussing this mid-week lol)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1o2vycie said:
The moment was too big for us. As a team. It was chaos. Really surreal thing to witness. We blew it. I didn't like the Russ spike, either-was yelling NO sneak it! Awful sequence of events that robbed us of more magic.

On to Philadelphia. (But not completely cuz still discussing this mid-week lol)

I think he had to spike it because of an OL injury... but yes, moment seemed above the team... which is surprising, but also not

Onto philly is right

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":33llnp6w said:
hawksfansinceday1":33llnp6w said:
Uncle Si":33llnp6w said:

Yup, and the Blink at the Clink fiasco is a replay of the SB49 goal line fiasco that cost us that game.
I'm on board with the OP's theory about Marshawn and storyline. Then the info about Marshawn not being ready with his helmet to go in. You can't make this $h!t up. So if it turns out this one could be as much or more on Marshawn if true.

It really reinforces, win as a team, lose as a team. So many things went wrong, showed so many little issues on one play. Perhaps if Marshawn's ready, the package gets in in time, Marshawn scores, storyline fulfilled.

The irony is that it results in a more favorable opportunity for Seattle to make a deep run. At least the team has a chance to come back from this, unlike SB49. If we can't beat Philly on the road again, we're not that deserving anyway. So overall, this may have been a good thing for Seattle, and a bit of a wake-up call, that changes need to be made, maybe even getting Pete's attention enough to make changes.

Do we really want Marshawn to have as prominent a role though?

I don't. I don't want the team to focus on him for any sentimentality points anymore. From what I saw on TV he's slowed down a lot. Obviously on the last play, he wasn't familiar with whatever the playbook said or what his responsibilities ewre. From what I have heard, he was clearly more into promoting himself on the Jumbotron while on the bench.

I'm not here so Marshawn Lynch can sell shirts out of his boutiques. That TD won't be possible again now that everyone has film. We need a real #2 rb behind homer that's bigger and fast. If Turbin's not the biggest and fastest option there is, then replace him with whomever is.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thought marshawn looked fine.. however, I didn't think it was a given her score. Have as 1 for 2 on short yardage up to the moment.

He looked decent though. Sure he's slowed, he hasn't played much. Be interesting to see what he looks like Sunday.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3b066fpm said:
SantaClaraHawk":3b066fpm said:
Cross posted:

That PI if reviewed would likely come back as an OPI/DPI offset had Pete saved TOs to challenge, which he always does.

The delay of game cost us much more. ML needed to leave his helmet on at least his person when the offense was out there. Rather than paying attention to the play clock and the game and doing something unexpected like a QB sneak, attention was on creating a pre-scripted fan-storybook ending.

That's what killed us IMO. Not NFL officiating.

If we go into Philly insisting on feeding the ball to ML, we're gonna lose. Fact is, he's older and slower and should be our emergency back not immediate relief for Homer. If Turbin isn't faster, lose him and sign Collins. Collins won't have to know the whole playbook to play relief snaps. He just has to keep his helmet on when the offense is out there.

---

Well we know how some crucial pass plays at the 1 have gone.

Regardless, they should have tried a QB sneak. Or as you said even a pass play. The least logical option was trucking out Lynch, who was apparently more preoccupied with the Jumbotron.

Does it really need to be pointed out that you cannot challenge anything, whether you have timeouts remaining or not, in the last 2 minutes?

All reviews are initiated from NY. I thought we were all past this.
When the delay of game was called, it was OBVIOUS THEN that the PI rule that the INEPT NFL POWERS THAT BE, that had been HARPING ON ALL THIS SEASON, were PURPOSELY NOT going to stop the clock for review, no way in hell they were going to DO THE RIGHT THING.

RealDeal

Reaction score
I feel they did it on purpose, not saying it was right. But look at it as a whole, around 30 seconds and no time outs, you run it and you get stuffed then what 3rd and 1 now with 10-15 seconds left. You take the delay of game and you get 3 shots at the 6 (witch is way easier to throw from the 6 then the 1) if you look at the team walking on the field and Russ just standing there, they wanted to take that penalty.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":hzab7nso said:
Do we really want Marshawn to have as prominent a role though?

I don't. I don't want the team to focus on him for any sentimentality points anymore. From what I saw on TV he's slowed down a lot. Obviously on the last play, he wasn't familiar with whatever the playbook said or what his responsibilities ewre. From what I have heard, he was clearly more into promoting himself on the Jumbotron while on the bench.

I'm not here so Marshawn Lynch can sell shirts out of his boutiques. That TD won't be possible again now that everyone has film. We need a real #2 rb behind homer that's bigger and fast. If Turbin's not the biggest and fastest option there is, then replace him with whomever is.

Marshawn actually looked serviceable in what little we saw. I'm cautiously optimistic.
What, you think Marshawn's new "interview" line will be, "I'm just here to sell my T-shirt line."?

As far as a "prominent" role, that is totally up to the coaching staff, based on what they see left in his tank, and how quickly he picks up the offense, the changes since Schotty. I don't think Pete would use Marshawn for only sentimentality points. But, a run from the 1 yard line, I'm happy to give Marshawn a crack at it. It turned out crappy this time, due to multiple factors.

One very bright spot was that it made room for Travis Homer to shine, and show why he should be the starter, and show that he's not afraid of the spotlight, and will perform. Showed that Homer is a guy who has been working his ass off to be ready, and that Homer understands the offense and is a threat in the passing game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5ww5axsy said:
Its not a replay though.. the play that ended 49 was called. It wasn't rushed. They had time, felt thst was the right call, and went with it.
The on field highlights from that game show how the Patriots responded to the formation as well..
Biggest difference is how long both teams had to make decisions. I still am fine with a pass there. Just the wrong route and option.

This incident came down to a lack of preparedness. Hopefully, as you said, it serves as a necessary wake up call.
I like Pete. Game management is his biggest weakness

Thank you for pointing out a major difference between SB49 goal line failure and this one.
I've been guilty of forgetting/ignoring the distinction that the SB49 disaster came following a timeout.
Which makes SB49 even a bigger cluster-frack in comparison, to come out of a timeout with THAT??!! And especially with THAT personnel grouping??

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":1kw90be2 said:
Marshawn actually looked serviceable in what little we saw. I'm cautiously optimistic.
What, you think Marshawn's new "interview" line will be, "I'm just here to sell my T-shirt line."

Marshawn got one of his beastmodeonline managers to release to media that about $150K was made on his shirts following his signing. That's about twice as much gross as he made for the SF game. ML has three brick and mortar stores nationwide and has invested in being an indoor football league owner in Oakland. Endorsements/pub will do more to cover those burn rates than game checks.

It's a reason--and a main one--even though it may not be the only one.

Marshawn's brand management has been hard for him to sell even after being active with Oakland. He had not been a high-impact PR splash. His largest pub scores being arriving at a Toronto Sun interview this year in a sponsor Escalade packed with Skittles to talk about how he wakes and bakes on a regular basis, or lighting blunts off the Al Davis torch or passing out tequila for pub. Now instead of chasing pub, pub will be chasing him well into this year.

People say I'm down on Marshawn. I'm not really. I just recognize his interest in building his brand. That's where his future lies as opposed to playing football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
None of it matters if the refs actually do their jobs and call an OBVIOUS PI. It would have erased the stupid delay of game and put them right back at the 1. But as usual, they CHOSE to ignore something so obvious. I mean, the league would crumble to the ground if their precious Niners lost a game. :roll:

Latest posts