My Halftime Adjustments

JerHawk81

Reaction score
My halftime adjustments:

1: Sit Dallas. He's made two big mental mistakes on punt returns, and has been battling illness. He shouldn't be returning kicks.
2: Get Charbonnet more touches - probably going 50:50 with Walker. He's getting more tough yards than Walker today, and look energized.
3: Don't get too creative on defense. Our base vs their base looks fine, but we are at risk for mistakes when we get creative, given our secondary injuries.

*edit: Mods - please move to gameday forum - my mistake*

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
My halftime adjustments:

1: Sit Dallas. He's made two big mental mistakes on punt returns, and has been battling illness. He shouldn't be returning kicks.
2: Get Charbonnet more touches - probably going 50:50 with Walker. He's getting more tough yards than Walker today, and look energized.
3: Don't get too creative on defense. Our base vs their base looks fine, but we are at risk for mistakes when we get creative, given our secondary injuries.

*edit: Mods - please move to gameday forum - my mistake*
DJ has been stellar today.

OP
OP
JerHawk81

JerHawk81

Reaction score

He ran after fair catching the first punt. He then caught it with a gunner in his face on the second punt. So far, the mental mistakes haven't been punished. But, I'd rather recognize that he's sick, not processing at 100%, and play it safe.

BASF

Reaction score
I could have sworn that they changed the fair catch interference to where the kicking team couldn't touch the returner before the ball got there due to safety, but they definitely hit Dallas early with no flag.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I could have sworn that they changed the fair catch interference to where the kicking team couldn't touch the returner before the ball got there due to safety, but they definitely hit Dallas early with no flag.
I don't think DJ called fair catch on the one play where two different Panthers collided with him. Are you thinking of another?

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
There used to be an old fair catch rule I believe called 'halo' or some crap that was subjective. The refs could penalize the kicking team for not giving the returner enough room to catch the ball even if they didn't signal for a fair catch. I don't know if it still exists though. I think it was supposed to be 2-3 yards.

EDIT* Sorry this post isn't really relevant but I'm kinda drunk and having a good time.

sutz

Reaction score
There used to be an old fair catch rule I believe called 'halo' or some crap that was subjective. The refs could penalize the kicking team for not giving the returner enough room to catch the ball even if they didn't signal for a fair catch. I don't know if it still exists though. I think it was supposed to be 2-3 yards.

EDIT* Sorry this post isn't really relevant but I'm kinda drunk and having a good time.
I'm pretty sure the halo rule was only in college. In the pros, if you want that halo you call for a fair catch.

BASF

Reaction score
I don't think DJ called fair catch on the one play where two different Panthers collided with him. Are you thinking of another?
No, it's the one you're thinking. But your not supposed to hit the returner before the ball arrives or everyone would do it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I thought the same exact thing.
What ever happened to the 'must allow the Receiver to make an unencumbered reception BEFORE making Contact', is that no longer in the rules book?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yea - I was gonna say - DJ was looking good -

I REALLY thought that he's take one back for 6. You could just see him about to bust out on a couple returns -

I was glad he was in there -

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the halo rule was only in college. In the pros, if you want that halo you call for a fair catch.

The more I think about it I think you're right. It was college

sc85sis

Reaction score

RULE 10 OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH A KICK, FAIR CATCH

SECTION 1 OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH A KICK
ARTICLE 1. INTERFERENCE. During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of scrimmage, or during a free kick, members of the kicking team are prohibited from interfering with any receiver making an attempt to catch the airborne kick, or from obstructing or hindering his path to the airborne kick, regardless of whether any signal was given.

Item 1. Contact with Receiver. It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to the receiver touching the ball. It is not a foul if a kicking team player is blocked into the receiver or the contact is the result of a foul.

Item 2. Right of Way. A receiver who is moving toward a kicked ball that is in flight has the right of way. If opponents obstruct his path to the ball, or cause a passive player of either team to obstruct his path, it is interference, even if there is no contact, or if he catches the ball in spite of the interference, and regardless of whether any signal was given.

Penalties:
(a) For interference with the opportunity to make a catch when a prior signal has not been made: Loss of 15 yards from the spot of the foul, and the offended team is entitled to put the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage. If such interference is a personal foul for unnecessary roughness, the 15-yard penalty will be enforced from the spot of the foul or the previous spot.
(b) For interfering with a fair catch after a signal: Loss of 15 yards from the spot of the foul. A fair catch is awarded even if the ball is not caught. If such interference is a personal foul for unnecessary roughness, the 15-yard penalty will be enforced from the spot of the foul or the previous spot.
Note: If the foul is not part of a double foul and the opponent has possession at the end of the down, the foul may be enforced from the dead ball spot. See 14-2-4.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks, sis, for posting that.

So why the Zebra's silence? If the rule is that clear, without exceptions, then that was an egregious error.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Yes, DJ made the catch--amazing!--and then made something out of the play. It was nice that both of the Panthers' gunners who hit him were on the ground by then.