My Greatest Fear

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
I posted about this same fear a few days ago... The media really wants "whanning" to get his second ring, just like they wanted Betis to get his ring before retiring... "It's good for football". And to anyone who thinks the refs didn't have anything to do with us losing XL, COME ON MAN! They even admitted to it years later.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,260901

Hawksalot4277

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":2wyjkzgk said:
I posted about this same fear a few days ago... The media really wants "whanning" to get his second ring, just like they wanted Betis to get his ring before retiring... "It's good for football". And to anyone who thinks the refs didn't have anything to do with us losing XL, COME ON MAN! They even admitted to it years later.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,260901

That's not exactly true. They admitted to it being horribly officiated, not to doing t on purpose. But yes, that game was horrible. Worst officiated game I've ever seen, in any sport.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Haha I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the flags did seem to go one way.. Anyways, go HAWKS! Love them SEA-HAWKS!!!!

HawkWow

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":jhahxzf1 said:
Eldorado":jhahxzf1 said:
Laying the ground work for the inevitable excuse fest, I see.

And banned.

Ouch! ; )

OP...No fear my Hawk braddah. I hope I'm right, because I am expecting a well officiated game with the better team deciding the outcome.

My greatest fear is the let down season that sometimes follows a championship.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2a92m7u6 said:
volsunghawk":2a92m7u6 said:
BlueBlood":2a92m7u6 said:
Im not afraid of Denver, at least not the way I was of San Francisco. The difference in the outcome of this game could come down to the money the NFL will lose if Seattle wins. As with the Stealers game, the NFL will make millions more on a Denver win as theyre the darling in this battle and the memorablia sales for a Donco Superbowl will soar high above those should our Seahawks come out on top.

And what evidence do you have of this? Do you have some numbers that prove this assertion?

Or is this just alarmist claptrap?

Folks, XL was not an inside job. People need to quit looking for conspiracy when simple human incompetence is the clearest explanation. And this game won't be anything like XL. No stars are retiring, the venue isn't close to one fanbase, etc. And for the love of Pete, can we please quit pretending that the Seahawks are some unpopular team that the league hates and that the general public ignores? Has anyone been paying attention at ALL this year? :34853_doh:

I havent read into this years but after the Superbowl I remember reading how merchandise sales for the winning team was breaking all kinds of sales records..

If you dont the NFL is concerned about MONEY then.. smh

You do realize that if Seattle wins, the merchandise sales will be astronomical as well, don't you? I mean, you get that, right?

You understand that even before the SB is played that Sherman's got the top-selling jersey of any defensive player in the league?

You know that while Manning's got the #2 selling jersey per NFLShop.com, Wilson is #3?

The Seahawks are a team absolutely PACKED with bright, young, up-and-coming stars in this league. They are currently - yes, right now - one of the league's marquee teams. And they're going to stay that way for a while. Seattle isn't the NFL's backwater any more. They're not a team of nobodies that no one cares about. They have been in the public eye all damn year. We need to stop pretending that this is 2005.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1kj5jmms said:
BlueBlood":1kj5jmms said:
volsunghawk":1kj5jmms said:
BlueBlood":1kj5jmms said:
Im not afraid of Denver, at least not the way I was of San Francisco. The difference in the outcome of this game could come down to the money the NFL will lose if Seattle wins. As with the Stealers game, the NFL will make millions more on a Denver win as theyre the darling in this battle and the memorablia sales for a Donco Superbowl will soar high above those should our Seahawks come out on top.

And what evidence do you have of this? Do you have some numbers that prove this assertion?

Or is this just alarmist claptrap?

Folks, XL was not an inside job. People need to quit looking for conspiracy when simple human incompetence is the clearest explanation. And this game won't be anything like XL. No stars are retiring, the venue isn't close to one fanbase, etc. And for the love of Pete, can we please quit pretending that the Seahawks are some unpopular team that the league hates and that the general public ignores? Has anyone been paying attention at ALL this year? :34853_doh:

I havent read into this years but after the Superbowl I remember reading how merchandise sales for the winning team was breaking all kinds of sales records..

If you dont the NFL is concerned about MONEY then.. smh

You do realize that if Seattle wins, the merchandise sales will be astronomical as well, don't you? I mean, you get that, right?

You understand that even before the SB is played that Sherman's got the top-selling jersey of any defensive player in the league?

You know that while Manning's got the #2 selling jersey per NFLShop.com, Wilson is #3?

The Seahawks are a team absolutely PACKED with bright, young, up-and-coming stars in this league. They are currently - yes, right now - one of the league's marquee teams. And they're going to stay that way for a while. Seattle isn't the NFL's backwater any more. They're not a team of nobodies that no one cares about. They have been in the public eye all damn year. We need to stop pretending that this is 2005.

The Steelers are one of the top merch selling teams year and a year out and while the Seahawks are not.. Im sure we are higher than usual this year however..

I had more to say but screw it....

I just want this badly..

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Oh great another potential problem, one that could have some legs to it, that I have to worry about this........dangit....... :240039:

acbass

Reaction score
I won't lie, sometimes I do worry about the NFL having a preference from a money stand point, but I've pretty much dismissed that this year. The Seahawks are a very intriguing team for the casual NFL. I have moved around a lot over the years. I have seen more interest in the Seahawks over the last 3 years than I have since I became a fan in like '88. I lived in Charleston, SC last season. I went into a sports shop downtown with a Seahawks hoodie on, and the girl at the counter said "sorry, we are sold out of everything Seahawks related." I asked her about it, and she said they couldn't keep Seahawks gear in stock and neither could one of their sister stores in town. That day I saw several people walking around Charleston in jerseys, hats, and t-shirts. It was amazing, actually. There was always this great bonding moment when I ran into one and they would look down at their jersey, look at me, and one of us would yell "Go Hawks!" This in South Carolina... College football central. It's been a similar experience since I moved to Minneapolis this season. I guess my point is that I think the Seahawks have reached the level where the NFL understands they are VERY marketable. They are a young, fun, and very unconventional team in almost every aspect. 3 of the top 10 in jersey sells at the end of the year were Seahawks.

I do hope and believe, to an extent, that the NFL is legit and isn't swayed by money that much. Not enough to have the refs decide a game on purpose. My entire explanation was designed to address those fears about the NFL wanting the more marketable team to win. I personally don't believe they would do that anyway, but this is how I justify it to myself... haha.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Let's get some things out here.

Three of the top 10 selling jerseys right now in all the NFL are Seahawks--Wilson, Lynch, Sherman. Just because the Broncos are the "good guys" doesn't mean that Seattle is not marketable. People tend to embrace teams that they think reflect their personality. Right now, while middle America is saying, "I go to church and work hard. The Broncos are my kind of team."

But there are must as many people out there saying, "I don't take crap and I love taking risks. I'm an adrenalin junkie. Seahawks are my kind of team."

NFL makes money either way. Hell, I bet extended highlight blue-rays of the NFC Championship will fly off the shelves.

As for SB40, yes, we got jobbed, but that team lacked the poise to overcome the bad calls. Watch the NFL films highlights on YouTube again. They look like deer in the headlights near the end. That does not describe this team. We'll be fine.

Nog

Reaction score
I personally think the NFL do favor Denver, and not because of the merchandise sales, it comes down to the conventional image of the national league. Denver has a clean image for the media standpoint and therefore for the NFL. Seattle has Beast and Sherminator (if you see where I'm getting at). Plus, Seattle is a brutal force. By Brutal force, I mean we beat hella out of opponents, and we spout off afterward. On the other hand, Denver is more considered like the finesse of football (something like football quintessence).

Nonetheless, I have no clue how the NFL would screw us up simply because nobody forgot about our last Super Bowl ride. The way we will be officiated would be heavily watched. Remember that our last Super Bowl were at Detroit close to Pittsburgh. I personally think this game was officiated like every other game: avantage for the home team. In other words, the home team was the Stealers considering the numbers of Stealers fan at the game.

Latest posts