Much rather have Tate then Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wartooth

Reaction score
My take on this thread, is that some people recently bought Tate's jersey, and are now pissed that he's gone!

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Wartooth":8uezjrg1 said:
My take on this thread, is that some people recently bought Tate's jersey, and are now pissed that he's gone!
Yeah it's weird there is so much animosity towards Harvin. I mean we just won a Super Bowl with him playing an integral role in that game. I like Tate too, but to say that Harvin is already a complete waste after Year 1 under him is a joke.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he only ran one back for 6, and had a couple other damn good runs. And he is, in fact, a much better player than Tate.

drdiags

Reaction score
I may not like the dynamics the Harvin addition had for the contract structure of the team, but the powers that be felt adding Harvin had long term impacts on the fate of the team so I can only wait to see how that unfolds. No matter my disappointment, I cannot make the claim that keeping Tate, along with the picks beats out having Harvin. I do think the contract Harvin got had to raise a few eyebrows and should naturally raise the chance your guys coming off their rookie contracts will be less inclined toward leaving money on the table. But that is another topic.

MVP53

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1px8xizt said:
sc85sis":1px8xizt said:
Yes, we gave up three picks. However, one was quid pro quo in exchange for Harvin himself--a pick for a player. Only the third and seventh were extra picks that could be counted as "lost" in that trade.

Unless you work for the Seahawks, you cannot definitively state that Tate is gone because of Harvin's salary. Someone is gone as a result, but it may or may not be Tate.
I get what you are saying, but all I'm trying to point out is the total cost of what acquiring Harvin was/is. The first pick is definitely part of that cost.
His 13 mill+ per year contract is also part of that cost. When it comes time to pay Russel, Sherman, and Thomas, that contract is going to hamper us greatly(hence the cuts we have seen so far and will likely see next year. I.E. possibly Lynch Mebane etc. plus letting Tate walk). Over all I don't see Harvins' value being nearly that great. Especially with his injuries taken into account.

Think of this, Thomas will not make as much as Harvin. Sherman will most likely not make as much as Harvin. Do you guys think that Harvin has as much value on our team as those two guys?

He is/was very costly and so far has hardly reached the field. Will he next year? I hope so.

I think Lynch would be gone after this coming season just due to his contract, his age & the number of career carries he has. Has nothing to do with Harvin.

And you can't really compare salaries across positions either. Bennett will likely earn a similar salary to Thomas as well. Is Bennett a better football player, or does he have more of an impact than Thomas? No.

And I really don't think Harvin's contract will impact our ability to resign Thomas or Sherman and especially not Wilson. Our front office is not stupid and they would not do anything to hinder their ability to lock those 3 up.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Do you folks talking about the contract think that you can have an elite receiver that doesn't make big bucks? If you're going to have a game changing receiver, he's gonna cost you.

Are we supposed to compete with all the crazy offenses in the NFL with a bunch of undrafted receivers that don't make any money?? Show me a team not paying a wideout big money, or that's about to be (Gordon, Crabtree, etc..) and I'll show you a team that isn't winning anything.

BamKam

Reaction score
Harvin is an elite playmaker he isn't just a reciever. Yes he has been troubled with some injuries the past 2 seasons but he is only going to be 26 next season. We have him in his prime right now and I just think he has had a string of bad luck.

This is coming from a guy who was getting frustrated at Harvin too when the offense was struggling and every week it we waited to hear his status.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I loved Tate but he's no Harvin. People still dont get how talented Harvin is. He might be the most talented player on the field in every game he plays next year. Here's to hoping its 14+ and not 4 games.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":34graq16 said:
The more I think about it the more sick I get .

Tate is better then Harvin . I know Harvin is more explosive and blah blah blah . The guy just can't stay healthy .
Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made .

Just imagine for a moment that we had Tate for 5/31m and Cordelle Patterson on the rookie pay scale . We would still have 7m a year in cap room to extend the likes of Sherman/Thomas/Wilson/Wright/Wagner/Okung and the list goes on .

In stead we have a player who many of you think will stay healthy. What.A.Joke. I really wish it were true but he just can't . Did Tate ever get hurt ? Did Tate break many tackles ? Did Tate basically Catch everything ? Yes.

I hated the trade a year ago and I hate it more so now . I love John Schnieder to death but I have a feeling he would agree with me . I like everything we did this offseason including not resigning Tate .. But only because we have soo much money tied up into Harvin

Slight correction in your post the Vikings drafted Xavier Rhodes CB with the Seahawks pick not Patterson. Im not sure we would of drafted Patterson.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I'd rather have Harvin at 6/67 than Tate at 6/31.

Tate is getting 6M+ to be a #2. On this offense, that makes no sense. You pay your #1 freak WR and then get a bunch of #2 types that can bail out RW on scrambles.

I said that Baldwin was more important to this team than Tate because he runs precise routes, but he can ALSO break off routes even better than Tate can and is always finding a way to get open on extended plays. I'd rather run Harvin/Baldwin/Kearse out there, sign a guy who can be a #1 if Harvin gets hurt (Rice or Britt) for 3M or less, and draft a guy to be a future #1 WR in this deep draft (I don't like Benjamin, but him or Coleman or someone like that).

That's better than keeping Tate at 6M and having to depend on Britt/Rice + a drafted player to step up and be a #1 for the whole season.

Largent80

Reaction score
I am hearing this guy (Tate) on the radio right now, and I'm glad he is G O N E. Money grubbing liar. He only wants the ball more, well, he may get it more but he is in Detroit.....hahahahahahahahahaaaaa HA.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
It's funny how fast the haters vanish around here..... Only to come back when no games are being played.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
If, as the rumors seem to indicate, Seattle offered him a 40% discount, that is pretty laughable. Hard to hate the guy for being pissed his team didn't offer him at least something close enough to consider, especially when he really wanted to come back and play for them. How many here would turn down almost half again your paycheck just so you could stay where you were because you liked it?

Largent80

Reaction score
He has contradicted himself so many times in the conversation I just heard on KIRO. He says everything about Seattle was awesome, but the contract offered was laughable.

Good riddance. NEXT super bowl winner UP.

bigcc

Reaction score
Harvin makes defenses have to adjust to what he does on the field.

No more 8 men in the box making it easier on Lynch. Safeties have to tilt his direction in case of a screen, opening the field for other receivers. Kickers either risk kicking to Harvin if they try to kick it out of the end zone and it comes up short, or they pooch it and we end up with great field position.

Tate did none of these things, teams didn't gameplan for him, defensive coordinators have to spend half their week scheming for a guy like Harvin.

Harvin effects the game even when he doesn't touch the ball..... look how far off the defense is from the LOS with percy in...
Harvin-touches6.jpg

Meanwhile Tate is sitting there ready to be jammed on the line in single coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts