Ms should orient our worst hitters park in the league...

sutz

Reaction score
Really like to see talk like this:

“(Whether it’s) trying to get a hit at this point, trying to drive in a run at this point or trying to hit a gap and hit the big home run,” he said. “You’ve just got to do what the game is telling you. And if the game is telling you put a bunt down, put the bunt down. If it’s telling you to move a runner, then move a runner. You don’t always have to be the hero by hitting a home run, if you know what I mean.”

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the seats. I think they know they made a mistake building it so the hitters are trying to hit directly into the wind blasting off Puget Sound down there.

Maulbert

Reaction score
The reason the park is oriented the way it is is so the sun doesn't get in the batter's eye as it sets. All major league parks are oriented in the same direction for this reason. It's also the reason a left-handed pitcher is called a southpaw. Because right is always north on the pitcher's mound and left is always south.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The reason the park is oriented the way it is is so the sun doesn't get in the batter's eye as it sets. All major league parks are oriented in the same direction for this reason. It's also the reason a left-handed pitcher is called a southpaw. Because right is always north on the pitcher's mound and left is always south.
That's a graeat answer. Thanks.

cymatica

Reaction score
Yet they have a retractable roof which would offset that problem

RiverDog

Reaction score
This is correct. I can remember when they built the stadium that they went through this very same rationale.

DJrmb

Reaction score
There's also a gap between the roof and the stands. I learned this the hard way sitting in the bleachers and not being able to see for a good 3 or so innings. The roof doesn't do any good when the sun is setting in that gap between.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
There's also a gap between the roof and the stands. I learned this the hard way sitting in the bleachers and not being able to see for a good 3 or so innings. The roof doesn't do any good when the sun is setting in that gap between.
Explain this roof a little more please.. I saw all my Ms games in the Dome
so just curious as to what the difference is.
A roof is supposed to take the weather out of play right?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Explain this roof a little more please.. I saw all my Ms games in the Dome
so just curious as to what the difference is.
A roof is supposed to take the weather out of play right?
The roof is on a track, that's how it slides in and out of place, and those tracks are open air trusses. The roof is mostly just to keep the field dry when it rains. It's not an air tight seal around the whole stadium. Rain can still get in on the fans at times depending on where you're sitting, and there is an open air gap between the top of the stands and the roof where the sun can shine through as it's setting (hence the position of Field). The gap you can see on the photo goes around the whole stadium which means sunlight can shine through for however long it's in that gap. And that's with the roof closed... If it was sunny and the field was oriented the opposite way it is now then the sun would be in the batters eyes every evening if the roofs open... And again even if it's closed there will be some time it's shining in the gap directly in the batters eyes.

Xhye95gizibkmezr22hj

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The roof is on a track, that's how it slides in and out of place, and those tracks are open air trusses. The roof is mostly just to keep the field dry when it rains. It's not an air tight seal around the whole stadium. Rain can still get in on the fans at times depending on where you're sitting, and there is an open air gap between the top of the stands and the roof where the sun can shine through as it's setting (hence the position of Field). The gap you can see on the photo goes around the whole stadium which means sunlight can shine through for however long it's in that gap. And that's with the roof closed... If it was sunny and the field was oriented the opposite way it is now then the sun would be in the batters eyes every evening if the roofs open... And again even if it's closed there will be some time it's shining in the gap directly in the batters eyes.

View attachment 62770
Whoever designed this should be thrown into the Sound!
Thanks for all the imfo, I had no idea a ballpark roof could
be like this.. I mean in Seattle you need full roof and in football
too. I'm happy I saw all my games without getting messed with
by weather.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, even with the roof closed, you're not really indoors. Still gets pretty cold at night games in April. I think the temps and the moisture in the air matter more than the wind, though. Hurts the long ball in early and late months.

They needs to work around that with more small ball for those few weeks, at least.

Threedee

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of stadium design, we could always incorporate the Oakland Coliseum's foul territory concept, seeing as how the A's will be off to Lost Wages very soon.

sutz

Reaction score
So, nobody points due west. Looks like Minute Maid is a little to the northwest, but not directly into the sunset.

cymatica

Reaction score

View attachment 62770
The they should just hang some curtains up, problem solved