Michael Bennett fined $17,363 for hit on Alex Smith

Tical21

Reaction score
White Devil":11xeal9u said:
Tical21":11xeal9u said:
Dude. He put the crown of his helmet on the quarterback's chin. This has been illegal for YEARS now. How in the world are we still whining about this? If that had happened to Russell, .NET would be demanding the player face the guillotine. This is a penalty 100 times out of 100 and it should be. This is the EXACT play that the rule changes are trying to prevent from happening.

No.

I see his shoulder connecting with the bottom of the facemask. Bennett's head is aiming for the shoulder. Sorry, this fine is nitpicking at it's finest. In fact the flags that were thrown in the game against Seattle for hits on the QB were all a bit touchy in my opinion. I see Russ get hit this way a bunch, the excuse for no flag or fine is usually because he's shorter and the hitzone is even smaller. He lives with it.

As for the entire argument about the brutality of the game, and the effects of blows to the head later in these guys' lives...that's what you get paid the big bucks for in my opinion. If everybody could do it, and nobody got hurt...the popularity wouldn't be there and neither would the outlandish money. Risk = Reward.

:snack:
Bennett's head going for Smith's shoulder is still at least a foot too high.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Tical21":1gs29etd said:
Dude. He put the crown of his helmet on the quarterback's chin. This has been illegal for YEARS now. How in the world are we still whining about this? If that had happened to Russell, .NET would be demanding the player face the guillotine. This is a penalty 100 times out of 100 and it should be. This is the EXACT play that the rule changes are trying to prevent from happening.

Ive seen plenty of hits that they never call against Wilson that we get a flag for on our Dline..its BS..and im being rationale and not a homer...theres been multiple games where its the same exact type of hit and we get flag, they dont

BigMeach

Reaction score
I appreciate the Hawk tackle, I really do. I found that video very informative and a fun watch.

However, when going for a sack of the QB you are trying to keep your hands up to ruin the QB's vision and stop him from throwing the ball away, the problem is now if you do that you are going to end up hitting your shoulders into the high middle of his chest and if he moves at all, or the whiplash of the hit causes his head to come forward to yours, it's a fine and a 15 yard penalty.

It's really unfair to the defensive player trying to make the tackle, they are giving every out possible to the quarterback. They need to re-evaluate the rule, I can understand launching at the players head but if you hit him square in the chest and the after contact is in the head area that shouldn't be a penalty.