Maybe lock?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
IMO Pete likes lock. My guess is we sign geno to a 3-4 year with low guaranteed after 2 years. Pete goes to lock ( who I don’t expect a big market for) says look what we did with geno. Sit tight as back up and learn my way. And if you are lock. I’d probably take it. Geno is semi mobile and could get hurt. This allows Pete to spend all of his good draft capital on DEF or Oline players. So lock is our future QB if I’m putting money on it. Not CJ, not young. its always been lock. Pete loves guys who sit and know our system.
I think you nailed where Pete is at, of course the only wildcard is if they are over the moon with a top 4 college qb and that qb ends up being joe montana from day 1. Other than that, We have two very similar, athletic, cannon-armed qbs who need to limit bonehead plays and can be good. So it makes sense they phase out the old model over a year and phase in the new one. I think a 2-year deal for Geno, with the small potential for the Hawks to even trade him next year and get more value out of the guy.

This is Pete's twilight phase of coaching, he is finally free of the me-first celebrity qb, he is going to construct a killer d, this year. He's very aware what he's fielded on the defensive side for over 5 years now, it is embarassing, d is his thing, what's the legacy going to be? Fun off-season.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I mean the bright side.. is if they start lock and rebuild the defense, theyll still be picking top 10
Same was said about Geno. Really don’t know what would happen.

nwHawk

Reaction score
That egregious INT Lock threw in the preseason is still fresh in my mind.
I hated that too, but what we can take out of that was he was in a situation of “win or go home the backup”. He had to take a chance. His COVID situation killed his chances.

Geno, Lock or drafted QB, I don’t care just fix the damn defensive front seven. Otherwise, we’ll be in the same spot next year.