Maybe lock?

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
IMO Pete likes lock. My guess is we sign geno to a 3-4 year with low guaranteed after 2 years. Pete goes to lock ( who I don’t expect a big market for) says look what we did with geno. Sit tight as back up and learn my way. And if you are lock. I’d probably take it. Geno is semi mobile and could get hurt. This allows Pete to spend all of his good draft capital on DEF or Oline players. So lock is our future QB if I’m putting money on it. Not CJ, not young. its always been lock. Pete loves guys who sit and know our system.

Rat

Reaction score
A 3-4 year deal would be stupid. Lock has proven nothing. A 1-year deal where he can compete to start is the best he should be able to expect from any team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
425HawkSpark

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
A 3-4 year deal would be stupid. Lock has proven nothing. A 1-year deal where he can compete to start is the best he should be able to expect from any team.
Geno gets the 3-4 year deal. Lock is low cost 2-3 year back like geno contract when he backed up russ.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think a 3-4 year deal would be stupid for either of them at this stage of their careers. Geno may have shown us his ceiling, which was good until it wasn't. Lock hasn't really had a chance to show us where he's at. I'm glad we have both of them but not convinced either is what we want for our future, even short term beyond another year or two.

flv2

Reaction score
Geno gets the 3-4 year deal. Lock is low cost 2-3 year back like geno contract when he backed up russ.
Why would Lock commit himself to a multi-year low-ball deal when he could sign a 1 year low-ball deal and then get a good FA contract if he performed well? Smith is the role model for other free agents.

OP
OP
425HawkSpark

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Why would Lock commit himself to a multi-year low-ball deal when he could sign a 1 year low-ball deal and then get a good FA contract if he performed well? Smith is the role model for other free agents.
Where is he going to get the chance to show what he has for a 1 year? I see only option as a short time back up role like geno had.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I don't think Pete will be here that long. Not if you're expecting Lock to sit for 3-4 years and then come in as QB1.

flv2

Reaction score
Where is he going to get the chance to show what he has for a 1 year? I see only option as a short time back up role like geno had.
With any of the 32 teams in preseason and when whichever team he signs with loses their starter to injury. Same for any of the potential back-up QBs in the NFL. Signing for a team with an injury-prone starter is probably the way to go.

OP
OP
425HawkSpark

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
With any of the 32 teams in preseason and when whichever team he signs with loses their starter to injury. Same for any of the potential back-up QBs in the NFL. Signing for a team with an injury-prone starter is probably the way to go.
I think you over estimate how many back up jobs out there and how many would take him at anything more than here so why would he want to leave?

flv2

Reaction score
I think you over estimate how many back up jobs out there and how many would take him at anything more than here so why would he want to leave?
Naming 64 better active QBs would be a stretch. Lock has proven he can play at a back-up level from Day 1 if needed. Potential playoff teams with a rookie QB will probably have 3 QBs on their active roster. There will be a few 1 year options for him. The Seahawks and Lock owe each other nothing. Neither is going to be put in a bad situation by the other.

GemCity

Reaction score
After Geno’s successful performance, I’m finding it hard to imagine that the Seahawks will break the bank for him. That sounds confusing but, I’m referring to plugging in a back up QB and finding success (as far as that aspect of the game) in doing so.

Of course resign Geno if you can get him for a decent hometown amount but if he can get $30M somewhere, c-ya.

We’ve got too many D-Line holes to fill.

And….who knows what JS and PC may find in later rounds…

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
IMO Pete likes lock. My guess is we sign geno to a 3-4 year with low guaranteed after 2 years. Pete goes to lock ( who I don’t expect a big market for) says look what we did with geno. Sit tight as back up and learn my way. And if you are lock. I’d probably take it. Geno is semi mobile and could get hurt. This allows Pete to spend all of his good draft capital on DEF or Oline players. So lock is our future QB if I’m putting money on it. Not CJ, not young. its always been lock. Pete loves guys who sit and know our system.
Sit tight? Until Pete is 80?

TOPHawk

Reaction score
Look at the deflection they did with Wilson last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they were talking up Geno, with the entire plan to go with Lock in 2023. They re-sign Lock to a favorable 2-3 year deal, let Geno walk, and draft a QB in the 3-4 round.

GemCity

Reaction score
I know there were some folks that thought Geno would do great in RWs absence and as I recall, part of that reasoning was the system.

Geno deserves to get paid. He had an incredible year. There are several QB hungry teams. I think $30M+ sounds high but if you consider the market…

I can’t see us matching another offer unless it’s in the $20 to $25M range.

At this point in his career, you can’t blame Geno for taking a payday elsewhere if the opportunity arises. He essentially “hit the lotto” this year.

With that said, there’s probably no better time to draft a QB and focus our resources on the interior.

If the system truly dictates how our QBs perform, I imagine Lock could fit that role while competing with an up and coming draftee.

Mahomes couldn’t win a division, let alone a SB with our current squad.

We haven’t seen Lock in our system yet. Can we get him back for cheap? Likely. Do PC and JS have a QB in mind that they want to take a shot at?

This next draft will answer a lot of questions.

To me, Lock’s future with us relies solely on how much Geno is going to get.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hopefully Pete will do him that solid and let him test the market, he's done it several times in the past for guys. And Geno is probably a much better fit here than any other place. So I do see that side of the argument.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I know there were some folks that thought Geno would do great in RWs absence and as I recall, part of that reasoning was the system.

Geno deserves to get paid. He had an incredible year. There are several QB hungry teams. I think $30M+ sounds high but if you consider the market…

I can’t see us matching another offer unless it’s in the $20 to $25M range.

At this point in his career, you can’t blame Geno for taking a payday elsewhere if the opportunity arises. He essentially “hit the lotto” this year.

With that said, there’s probably no better time to draft a QB and focus our resources on the interior.

If the system truly dictates how our QBs perform, I imagine Lock could fit that role while competing with an up and coming draftee.

Mahomes couldn’t win a division, let alone a SB with our current squad.

We haven’t seen Lock in our system yet. Can we get him back for cheap? Likely. Do PC and JS have a QB in mind that they want to take a shot at?

This next draft will answer a lot of questions.

To me, Lock’s future with us relies solely on how much Geno is going to get.
Don’t wait for Geno to set his market, sign Lock as early as possible for a hedge.

m0ng0

Reaction score
If Pete can make Geno into an all world talent why can't he do it with Lock? Let Geno get paid somewhere else and we roll with Lock (who has a had a full season learning behind Geno) sign him on the cheap and we get a huge upgrade on the D?