Maybe it's just me, but Bobby looks slow..

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mbswc92a said:
justafan":mbswc92a said:
Sgt. Largent":mbswc92a said:
nwHawk":mbswc92a said:
I think Bobby is playing a step or two too close to the line of scrimmage. He is selling out to stop the run, and it's leaving a gap in our middle defense bigger than what we had in years past. He's a little slower, but still quick enough for a middle linebacker. Positioning, and overthinking is what has made his play suffer.

This is sure as heck not what I saw last night, or numerous other times this season.

Every time Pete plays the stupid 4-3 zone Bobby required to drop further and further back to cover TE and slot crossing patterns.

How many times did Gurley take easy dump off passes for 10-12 yards cause literally no one was in the middle of the field? Seemed like it happened all night.

Bobby has lost a step, and KJ's lost at least a step, maybe two. But Pete's not helping them out when he goes back to the 4-3 zone and doesn't allow them to press and attack.

Not sure why he keeps doing this against McVay and Rams, it has never worked, and it didn't work again last night. Pete makes Goff look like Joe Montana.

But that is the NFL today. 300 yrds passing is common.

You legalize holding and handcuff the DBs and these games are more common. Its what the NFL and a lot of fans want. They gush about games like the Niners and Saints.

But what kills you are 3 for 3 in the redzone. Last game with the Rams they had to kick FGs in the first half and that was the difference. I hate to say it but allowing the Rams 5 scoring drives isnt that bad. Allowing 80% TD success in the redzone is what gets you beat.

Playing the same unsuccessful scheme over and over against a coach that's won 4 out of 5 games against you, and should be 5 for 5 if not for a missed FG is what gets you beat.

If you go back to the first game of this matchup since McVey took over the Hawks were lucky to win the first one too. Rams lost by less than one score in a game were Earl made a great play to cause a touchback when Gurley was looking to score, got a missed FG , and Kupp had a ball in his hands for the game winning TD that he couldn't squeeze.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":69ntlq70 said:
If you go back to the first game of this matchup since McVey took over the Hawks were lucky to win the first one too. Rams lost by less than one score in a game were Earl made a great play to cause a touchback when Gurley was looking to score, got a missed FG , and Kupp had a ball in his hands for the game winning TD that he couldn't squeeze.

Right, so why does Pete keep using the same unsuccessful schemes on both sides of the ball against the Rams.

Stubbornness? Does he just not trust his defensive personnel to play cover 3 and press man against Goff and the Ram's receivers?

My guess is it's more of #2 then #1. Pete's stubborn, but he's made adjustments all throughout the season, so I'd say he just didn't trust his pass rush to get home and/or his DB's to stay with the Ram's very deep WR corp and TE group.

He thought Russell and the offense could score as well, and when that wasn't happening it was too late.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nwHawk":s5umxosp said:
I think Bobby is playing a step or two too close to the line of scrimmage. He is selling out to stop the run, and it's leaving a gap in our middle defense bigger than what we had in years past. He's a little slower, but still quick enough for a middle linebacker. Positioning, and overthinking is what has made his play suffer.
This ^ He's being tasked to do too much, his expanded role this year is taking it's toll on his overall effectiveness.
Bringing in Quandre Diggs helped free up the Linebackers a bunch in the last month, but, some things still don't seem to be clicking with the D alignment.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11chiv5w said:
HawkRiderFan":11chiv5w said:

Right, so why does Pete keep using the same unsuccessful schemes on both sides of the ball against the Rams.

Stubbornness? Does he just not trust his defensive personnel to play cover 3 and press man against Goff and the Ram's receivers?

My guess is it's more of #2 then #1. Pete's stubborn, but he's made adjustments all throughout the season, so I'd say he just didn't trust his pass rush to get home and/or his DB's to stay with the Ram's very deep WR corp and TE group.

He thought Russell and the offense could score as well, and when that wasn't happening it was too late.

Just imo but could it be too much trust in the linebackers vs lack of trust elsewhere? Pete had said at the start of the year he thought this was the best group of LBs in the league and last night on the broadcast they said Pete said Barton was "the best cover linebacker on the team". I think you got it with the stubbornness. He still can't believe that the 3 LBs in the base D can't get it done.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
justafan":1e28xhdj said:
I dont think he is slowed down all that much. He has never been a big splash play type of a LB. He has never been a real threat in blitzes. Even though he ran a 4.45 40 he never played at that speed. ET ran a tad faster but played at that speed.

He is what he has always been. A solid leader who wins with strength and reading the play. He still makes a ton of tackles. I am sure he isnt as fast as 4.45 but he is still a huge part of this D.
Definately has lost a couple steps..
The old BWags had that fast twitch to him like the guy that jumped over
lineman to block a kick.
I don't see that guy anymore..Unless he is hurt,father time has caught
up to him.I hate that but it had to happen at some point.
I think I'd rest him the next couple of games so we can get something
out of him for the Santa Clara game.

Chawker

Reaction score
I noticed this back last year and was quickly labelled the village idiot that knew nothing about football. A MLBer in todays NFL has a life spam of only 8 years on average. Bobby's has reached the point of degradation in which he is unable to successfully attack downhill on a offense any more, KJ too.

Its been real hard for me watch and I also notice the same thing with russ, but god forbid me mentioning that.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Chawker":2qzkv8gx said:
I noticed this back last year and was quickly labelled the village idiot that knew nothing about football. A MLBer in todays NFL has a life spam of only 8 years on average. Bobby's has reached the point of degradation in which he is unable to successfully attack downhill on a offense any more, KJ too.

Its been real hard for me watch and I also notice the same thing with russ, but god forbid me mentioning that.
Omg nooo..I did it for you before he signed that contract..I got railed on of course
but the truth hurts.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1m9ol0b5 said:
Even Bobby threads somehow also turn in to Russ threads :lol:
Shh.. don't start that :lol:
Go back to the MVP one..Git! :177692:

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Bobby has lost a step but he can still play, he is still good against the run, but they need to adjust to the player he is now and not who he was 3 years ago on pass plays. They can't be dropping him back as deep as he's going and expecting him to chase guys across the field. It seems week after week we watch Bobby trailing behind some reciever by a yard. Im not a scheme expert but there has to be a better utilization of his skills there somewhere. KJ is the liability out there, he can't shed blocks on runs, and on pass plays he looks at times lost just because he is so far behind the play that he's desperately throwing his hands up hoping that a ball may him on the way by accident. Its sad to see from what he was but time catches up to them all. I kind of wish we went to the rooks instead of KJ going into this season so by now they'd be somewhat upto speed but you can't do anything about it now. Kendricks has been what I've expected no real complaints or jumbo praise there.

Seymour

Reaction score
flmmkrz":14tpgp3z said:
Bobby has lost a step but he can still play, he is still good against the run, but they need to adjust to the player he is now and not who he was 3 years ago on pass plays. They can't be dropping him back as deep as he's going and expecting him to chase guys across the field. It seems week after week we watch Bobby trailing behind some reciever by a yard. Im not a scheme expert but there has to be a better utilization of his skills there somewhere. KJ is the liability out there, he can't shed blocks on runs, and on pass plays he looks at times lost just because he is so far behind the play that he's desperately throwing his hands up hoping that a ball may him on the way by accident. Its sad to see from what he was but time catches up to them all. I kind of wish we went to the rooks instead of KJ going into this season so by now they'd be somewhat upto speed but you can't do anything about it now. Kendricks has been what I've expected no real complaints or jumbo praise there.

You mean like adjust his #3 in league high (counting Miller and Mack) $18M per season contract that he hasn't even started yet until 2020 season?

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Seymour":1n88mdp6 said:
You mean like adjust his #3 in league high $18M per season contract that he hasn't even started yet until 2020 season?

if only...but til 2020 he's ours

Seymour

Reaction score
flmmkrz":dsb3vyax said:
Seymour":dsb3vyax said:
You mean like adjust his #3 in league high $18M per season contract that he hasn't even started yet until 2020 season?

Nope!

2020 starts his new contract.....he's ours through 2023

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
gabel":3kn7ywei said:
I'm glad someone finally said it. He has slowed down and is not as effective. Signing to a monster contract at this stage of his career was a big mistake.

What chapped my hyde was the things he was saying in the off-season after the Jets signed Mosley. All this about "well if that's the market then that's the market". Whatever. That was a team with a moron for a GM who ended up getting canned over the summer. Totally different team with totally different circumstances. This is why I hate the "market"

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Seymour":ikeowqho said:
flmmkrz":ikeowqho said:
Seymour":ikeowqho said:

Nope!

2020 starts his new contract.....he's ours through 2023

my mistake i thought I read someone in a post say his hits team friendly after 2020 but I may have remembered incorrectly

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JamesThomasHT/status/1204145885694844933[/tweet]

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1l9996g5 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JamesThomasHT/status/1204145885694844933[/tweet]

At least he didn't account for 200 yards last night!