Matt Ryan has agreed to a 5 year extension

Marvin49

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":wuzyjerh said:
Marvin49":wuzyjerh said:
Garoppolo looking better with every QB contract.
Not really all the players recently reupped have proven themselves and been consistent over time. Now niner fans can dress it up however they want but they gave a monster contract to a dude with 12 tds and 7 ints.

Of course....

...but 40+ of that deal is in first year and they can get out of the contract pretty easily.

If he pans out the way many people think he will, it'll be a bargain given the contracts that have/will be given out in the next few months/years.

Jimmy G contract was cost of doing business. That's what a QB costs. Every subsequent QB who signs breaks the record. They front loaded the contract In a year they had a ton of cap space.

So as I said...looking better and better.

original poster

Reaction score
Marvin49":3pqmxaxk said:
UK_Seahawk":3pqmxaxk said:
Marvin49":3pqmxaxk said:
Not really all the players recently reupped have proven themselves and been consistent over time. Now niner fans can dress it up however they want but they gave a monster contract to a dude with 12 tds and 7 ints.

Of course....

...but 40+ of that deal is in first year and they can get out of the contract pretty easily.

If he pans out the way many people think he will, it'll be a bargain given the contracts that have/will be given out in the next few months/years.

Jimmy G contract was cost of doing business. That's what a QB costs. Every subsequent QB who signs breaks the record. They front loaded the contract In a year they had a ton of cap space.

So as I said...looking better and better.

The Jimmy G contract is fantastic for the 49ers, is it after the 2019 season that they have a very cheap out? Think it is...

adeltaY

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1c2xp92f said:
Marvin49":1c2xp92f said:

To Marvin's point: you can say that about every top QB contract once the next top QB signs. Tis the way of the league.

To UK: you could be right about Jimmy, but I'm starting to believe TD/INT ratio is one of the most overrated stats in the league. At least, it's a stat that requires context to properly gauge its value. A 28/6 ratio got Derek Carr paid after 2016, but once his line and system changed a bit, he fell off badly. Russell Wilson had a 34/11 ratio in 2017, but the TD number was so high because we couldn't run the ball in near the goal line to save our lives. Meanwhile, Ryan, who just got the massive contract, had a 20/12 ratio this past season, but played much better than that stat indicates. A lot of that INT number depends on luck too. Wilson had 26 interceptable passes last year and Ryan had 13.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":wowrow9z said:
This is actually great for the NFL, though not tremendously great for us...

It prevents the teams with Elite QB from having a loaded roster and prevents teams with great rosters from having no chance because their QB isn't Elite.

Just have to give a big thumbs up to this. I hadn't thought of it in that way, and I always enjoy seeing unique perspectives. I think you are right too.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
original poster":ql5134mx said:
I'm really not as worried as some with regards to how QB contracts are heading. I used to be somewhat concerned, but having had time to think about it I'm not particularly worried.

The renewal of the CBA is going to be very interesting indeed.

I see a big lockout coming unless the players agree to a lot of cap changes..

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":3ph46wt4 said:
UK_Seahawk":3ph46wt4 said:
Marvin49":3ph46wt4 said:

To Marvin's point: you can say that about every top QB contract once the next top QB signs. Tis the way of the league.

To UK: you could be right about Jimmy, but I'm starting to believe TD/INT ratio is one of the most overrated stats in the league. At least, it's a stat that requires context to properly gauge its value. A 28/6 ratio got Derek Carr paid after 2016, but once his line and system changed a bit, he fell off badly. Russell Wilson had a 34/11 ratio in 2017, but the TD number was so high because we couldn't run the ball in near the goal line to save our lives. Meanwhile, Ryan, who just got the massive contract, had a 20/12 ratio this past season, but played much better than that stat indicates. A lot of that INT number depends on luck too. Wilson had 26 interceptable passes last year and Ryan had 13.
I was less bothered about the ratio than the fact those are his total career numbers.

I agree they eat a lot of cap early but its still a huge amount for an unproven player.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
This is pretty crazy. Eventually one of these guys is going to get hurt and it's going to break your cap for the next half decade at least. $100 million guaranteed. Wow. Guys can and do get hurt you know. That's very risky to guarantee that much. But it's the way the NFL is going now.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Peyton Manning went to two Super Bowls with the Broncos while consuming 12-15% of the cap, and they were able to build a great defense around him to secure that final ring.

Matt Ryan's new contract will consume 10-16% of the cap through 2020, and possibly less if the cap goes up more than expected.

The numbers are going up, but that doesn't mean it will be impossible to build a team around a QB that is paid at an elite level.

original poster

Reaction score
IndyHawk":e00hwxt5 said:
original poster":e00hwxt5 said:
I'm really not as worried as some with regards to how QB contracts are heading. I used to be somewhat concerned, but having had time to think about it I'm not particularly worried.

The renewal of the CBA is going to be very interesting indeed.

I see a big lockout coming unless the players agree to a lot of cap changes..

So do I, Indy.

The NFLPA has been advising players for a long time now to get their finances in order and assume they're not going to be getting paid for the 2021 season. They have taken out an insurance policy that will pay each player $200,000 but that's a drop in the ocean for a lot of players, I suspect that wouldn't even cover their bills for the year.

The only reason the NFLPA had to fold and let the league 'win' the last CBA is too many players would have gone bankrupt not earning as they hadn't got their finances in order.

The NFLPA is not going to let that happen again.

Expect rookies to be paid far more and vet minimums to be considerably higher, too.

purpleneer

Reaction score
I'm way out of being on top of the CBA situation, but I think the union should make bigger rosters their top priority and use that as the way to up their percentage of revenues. There's a ton of reasons that helps everyone involved.